Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

android.jpg
As the ongoing court battles between Apple and Samsung continue, Bloomberg reports that Apple has become more aggressive in pushing for Google to turn over Android-related documents that may be pertinent to the case. Apple argues that Google's refusal to reveal the search terms it is using to find documents requested by Apple as part of the pretrial discovery phase of the latest lawsuit between Apple and Samsung suggests that Google may not be finding certain relevant documents.
Apple, as part of its second patent-infringement lawsuit against Samsung in the same court, argues that Android is used in all of Samsung's allegedly infringing products and "provides much of the accused functionality" in Apple's claims, according to a court filing.

"It's a question of transparency," Mark Lyon, a lawyer for Apple, told Grewal yesterday, referring to the documents. "We have concerns that they're not doing a full search."
Google lawyer Matthew Warren has argued that Apple is seeking an unfair advantage, keeping Google out of the formal case in order to prevent reciprocal discovery efforts while still prying into Google's internal documents through third-party discovery. According to Warren:
Turning over the search terms Apple wants may lead to "future discovery that we don't think they're entitled to" and give Apple "ideas about how to proceed that they wouldn't have had."
The case at hand relates to some of Apple's and Samsung's latest handsets, including the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. It is a followup to a previous case that saw a jury award Apple $1 billion, although the judge in the case has voided nearly half of that judgment due to jury errors and a new trial to determine corrected damages is set for November.

Article Link: Apple Targets Android Source Code Search Documents in Suit Against Samsung

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Apple, I'd be more impressed if you created some new products. Ones people actually want like a new Mac Pro!!

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
They clearly make products people want or Sammy wouldn't find the need to copy then fight for the right to do so. Apple is rightly holding their cards long enough to prove they will fight and to limit the anount of time Sammy and others have to react before the holidays.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Every time I see an article about the tech company lawsuits, all I picture anymore is a massive free for all pie fight between them. :D

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I think that Bloomberg has made a mess with this report and Apple is not asking for Android source code.

Apple filled a motion at the end of April asking Google what term was using for searching some discovery evidence.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
[sarcasm] Why not use the all the money used for lawyer & court costs & instead use it to invest in R&D for new products? We've heard how the iOS team pulled developers from the Mac OS X team. Why not hire more developers?

Also, why not spend more money on the Mac Pro and other products to make them more competitive with the $500 DIY computers? There are a lot of spec wh*res (by that I mean people who only care about specs) in the world. If the Mac Pro had leading edge graphics, CPUs & other things, a lot more people would seriously look at the Mac Pro. I don't want it to end up like the xServe.

M

Mr.damien

Apple, I'd be more impressed if you created some new products. Ones people actually want like a new Mac Pro!!

Bla bla bla. Just as the lawyer team of Apple were working on new products...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Perhaps Apple thinks that Google's search works like Apple Maps and wants to double down on accuracy :eek:

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
[sarcasm] Why not use the all the money used for lawyer & court costs & instead use it to invest in R&D for new products? We've heard how the iOS team pulled developers from the Mac OS X team. Why not hire more developers?

Apple has more money than they know what to do with. The invest some into products, and they invest other money into litigation. Both are intended to turn a profit.

----------

Samsung should make the Mac Pro.

There's not enough money in that platform for a company like Samsung to even bother with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.