Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
I find it ironic that Google doesn't want their search terms revealed, when they record and use all of mine.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find it ironic that Google doesn't want their search terms revealed, when they record and use all of mine.

ha. Although (in all seriousness even if you weren't being) the difference is yours is anonymized. Your searches also don't affect Google's bottom line in the same way as their search terms.

I understand both sides though and why they want what they want (and don't want what they don't want)

It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.

Tknull

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2011
San Diego
android is open source. they can simply get code from repository.

As an earlier commenter said... the article has a very poorly worded heading. It is a discovery request relating to search terms used to retrieve internal documents pertaining to the case... nothing to do with the OS source code.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Apple, I'd be more impressed if you created some new products. Ones people actually want like a new Mac Pro!!

What's the big deal with this Mac Pro thing that keep hearing a lot lately? Is this some snapier safari kind of joke? It has to be!

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
You know...all of this would have been resolved years ago if Apple had given in to Google's desire to merge the companies. Apple should start finding the hire ups and largest Google investors that feel like and Apple/Google merger would work for both groups and move forward from there. Yes, of course that would most certainly mean the end of Android. With Apple growing closer to Yahoo and Marissa Mayer they may have the one ally that could help broach the deal even in today's hostile tech environment.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You know...all of this would have been resolved years ago if Apple had given in to Google's desire to merge the companies. Apple should start finding the hire ups and largest Google investors that feel like and Apple/Google merger would work for both groups and move forward from there. Yes, of course that would most certainly mean the end of Android. With Apple growing closer to Yahoo and Marissa Mayer they may have the one ally that could help broach the deal even in today's hostile tech environment.

Apple Google merger? No way

By the way, when had Google any desire to merge with Apple?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I don't see why they would not give up the search term they used. Google's argument is odd Android is open source, so no secrets is to be found.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The information asked by Apple is nit open documentation, it is emails, internal reports, etc.

It's openly available to Apple as part of the pretrial information sharing, the issue here is that Google may be withholding information by selectively cherry pick what documentation is given. Of course, Google could prove that it isn't by exposing the search terms.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It's openly available to Apple as part of the pretrial information sharing, the issue here is that Google may be withholding information by selectively cherry pick what documentation is given. Of course, Google could prove that it isn't by exposing the search terms.

Can you tell me in what trial is Google a part?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Can you tell me in what trial is Google a part?

Eh, the whole article evolves around Google's involvement.

Bloomberg said:
Apple told U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal in San Jose, California, that Google is improperly withholding information about what terms it’s using to find the documents Apple has requested in pretrial information sharing.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Eh, the whole article evolves around Google's involvement.

Look, you first said that Android source is open, next that the information is open and now that Google is involved.

Please, stop talking about you don't know.

The information is not open, it has nothing to do with Android source code and Google is not a ducking part in the trial, because of that they didn't want to give the information.

Got it?

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Look, you first said that Android source is open, next that the information is open and now that Google is involved.

Please, stop talking about you don't know.

The information is not open, it has nothing to do with Android source code and Google is not a ducking part in the trial, because of that they didn't want to give the information.

Got it?

Are you telling me that Google hasn't given up any information as part of the information sharing? And that this is not only related to what search terms they used when sharing that information, even though that is the entire premise of the article?

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
"UPDATE: some people didn’t get that this entire post was an April Fools joke. Sorry for being too realistic."

Try again

Sorry cauliflower fingers, this was actually reported in several tech journals around the same time period.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Really? Can you post any single source that is not an April's fool?

This was the first time the whale almost surfaced:
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1983953/oracle-apple-announce-merger

Now that I remember it was well before the iPhone was released and the rumors reached a fever pitch online after a Google representative intimated (at a WWDC, talking about improvements in Maps, I think) that it would be a great thing if Apple and Google just merged, he even suggested the cheesy name "Goo-apple" or something like that. It wouldn't shock me if more than a few people remember this.

Considering it was probably somewhere between 1999-2006 I think most of the web journals that would have carried the story are probably long since gone.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This was the first time the whale almost surfaced:
http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/1983953/oracle-apple-announce-merger

Now that I remember it was well before the iPhone was released and the rumors reached a fever pitch online after a Google representative intimated (at a WWDC, talking about improvements in Maps, I think) that it would be a great thing if Apple and Google just merged, he even suggested the cheesy name "Goo-apple" or something like that. It wouldn't shock me if more than a few people remember this.

Considering it was probably somewhere between 1999-2006 I think most of the web journals that would have carried the story are probably long since gone.

I would be very surprised of a rumor about Google and Apple merger on 1997.

When you can find anything that is not a joke or a time travel link it

Never has been any serious rumor of a merge between Apple and Google

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.