Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
When Steve Jobs put the tag line "Think Different".. boy! did he know Tim Cook will think of Credit Card business. :eek:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
25% off list prices of Apple products and free battery replacements for the life of the product when purchased with the card! Also, a special VIP access to Genius Bar services including guaranteed same-day appointments.

$95 annual fee.
Yeah, we both know 25% off Apple products ain't gonna happen o_O:D, but discounts on lifetime battery replacements, where products were bought using the Apple Card, in addition to VIP access to the Genius Bar, all this obviously on top of some form of cash-back benefits, actually sounds like a workable and reasonable idea that might convince some potential interested parties, myself included, of the benefits of any such upcoming Apple-branded/Goldman Sachs card.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like there will be a physical card. The infrastructure simply still isn't there to only have digital cards.
I think forcing merchants would be easy if banks started doing “digital only accounts” for free, for example Bank of America can do an “Apple Pay only account” and since they have Apple Pay ATMs that could work. Then the stores don’t want to lose these customers so they would make sure Apple Pay works

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I think forcing merchants would be easy if banks started doing “digital only accounts” for free, for example Bank of America can do an “Apple Pay only account” and since they have Apple Pay ATMs that could work. Then the stores don’t want to lose these customers so they would make sure Apple Pay works

That might work if there were rewards for non Apple purchases. From what I remember the current card from Barclays doesn't provide much in that department.

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018

So I guess part of this generosity, on behalf of the banks, to not charge credit card interchange fees to merchants who accept contactless pay will be matched by Apple not charging the banks their fee for providing the Apple Pay convenience. Yeah, I can hardly wait to see that - banks giving up upwards of 2% interchange fees and Apple foregoing their .15% Apple Pay fee charged to the banks - right across America - it'll all be Free, Free, Free, Free ...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Devil will be in the details whether it will be a typical co-brand card with the usual 1-1.5% back to the consumer as perks -- cash, travel, merchandise., whatever the theme of the card, or something truly unique and worth having. The current Apple card is rather bland.

If it was something that could stand with the Chase Sapphire Reserve or AMEX Plat or Gold Premier -- a premium and/or mid-luxury card that could be interesting. If it's a run-of-the-mill 1 point for non-Apple purchases and 2 points for Apple purchases, sorry I'm already sleeping.
[doublepost=1525989806][/doublepost]
When Steve Jobs put the tag line "Think Different".. boy! did he know Tim Cook will think of Credit Card business. :eek:

Probably since it's not that original of an idea. Apple has had co-brand credit cards before Barclays.

AppleCreditCard.jpg

Reactions: mattcjax

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This is yet another move to where Apple creates its own Bank. Bets? A family member works for Verifone. A hard rumor was - was a possible Apple buy out. That’d put them at nearly every other check stand in America. Why wouldn’t Apple create its own bank? Or a division of?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So I guess part of this generosity, on behalf of the banks, to not charge credit card interchange fees to merchants who accept contactless pay will be matched by Apple not charging the banks their fee for providing the Apple Pay convenience. Yeah, I can hardly wait to see that - banks giving up upwards of 2% interchange fees and Apple foregoing their .15% Apple Pay fee charged to the banks - right across America - it'll all be Free, Free, Free, Free ...
Free for right now. Once all the equipment is in place they can go back to normal rates and benefit the cost savings by reduced fraud- which costs a ton of money they’re bleeding it.

Shackrat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
This figures. After debating an application for several years I was just approved for the Barclay Apple Rewards card on Monday. Surprisingly it was my second Barclay card in less than a year, something Barclay is a bit paranoid about. I’ll be cool if this new one is co-branded as Goldman Sachs.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
i'll pass on this one, i don't need to be giving out my personal info just to make payments. i'll stick with bitcoin plus it works world wide and no personal info needed at all.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2003
Barclaycard (now Barclays) totally sucked. Terrible rewards program (iTunes cards, whoopie), took forever for them to update their app for iPhone X, I paid my off my card every month since 2007 and still had to fight them to raise my credit line. I’ll be glad to transition to GS.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
i'll pass on this one, i don't need to be giving out my personal info just to make payments. i'll stick with bitcoin plus it works world wide and no personal info needed at all.
My credit card works works wide oh and actually works in stores! Grocery stores don’t take bitcoin lol! What a fad that stupid crap is.

nabourque57

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
they will somehow make it to where Two-Factor authentication must be on to use the plastic card...haha

Seriously though, Apple Pay Cash pisses me off because I have to use Two-Factor; so annoying!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Sad to see Apple getting into bed with those scumbags at Goldman Sachs. Cook really has no moral compass whatsoever.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I hope that the trend of Apple getting deeper and deeper into financial services means that ApplePay will eventually be able to carry a balance.

After cellular providers and ISPs, banks are one of the most archaic services that have refused to change and put maximum profits ahead of good customer service and experience.

I’d love to be able to collect payments from my customers (or a salary for those who have a regular job) with ApplePay and then maintain my money in ApplePay, perhaps transferring some of that balance to a savings account within ApplePay.

Banks are ripe for disruption and Apple seems to be positioning itself to do just that.
[doublepost=1526004868][/doublepost]
I feel like there will be a physical card. The infrastructure simply still isn't there to only have digital cards.

Look beyond your immediate surroundings. Most of the developed world has moved to tap payments while the US has inexplicably stuck to signing a piece of paper to make a payment. I haven’t touched a plastic card or cash in months. Everywhere in Toronto accepts tap payments, hence ApplePay acceptance is nearly ubiquitous here.

Reactions: skinned66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.