Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has inked a deal with NBC that will see Saturday Night Live creating humorous commercial content that will air during commercial breaks on the show, reports Variety.

The Saturday Night Live spot will promote Apple products, but it's not yet clear what kind of content the show will create for Apple. Saturday Night Live is also working with Verizon and plans to create a spot for the carrier, which will be written by "Weekend Update" anchor Colin Jost and will star Kenan Thompson. Apple's ad "will look different" than the Verizon ad, according to Variety.

saturdaynightlive.jpg
Apple has struck a deal with NBC to have "Saturday Night Live" create commercial content slated to appear in a few weeks' time. The show's work for the large consumer-electronics company will look different than its Verizon efforts, according to two people familiar with the situation. Apple did not respond to queries seeking comment.
Saturday Night Live is teaming up with brands like Verizon and Apple to create custom content in the hopes of making the show both more appealing to advertisers and more compelling to watch live. The show has been seeing a surge of popularity in the months following the U.S. presidential election, thanks in large part to Alec Baldwin's role as Donald Trump.

Teaming up with Saturday Night Live will be new territory for Apple. Most of the company's ads are made in house or through longtime ad agency partners.

The Verizon Saturday Night Live spot will air on April 8th and April 15th, while Apple's ad spot will come somewhat later in the month or in early May.

Article Link: Apple Teaming Up With 'Saturday Night Live' for Upcoming Ad Spot

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I mean, Verizon essentially did this 10 years ago with SNL actors…

RowellE

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
I remember when Lady Gaga played one of them Apple Genius Bar people in a Kanye West and Kim Kardashian skit.

Last edited:

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
Geez, SNL hasn't been funny in years. Not sure what good this will do. They'd be better off advertising on instagram and youtube a lot more.

It is kind of like when your grandparents told your parents that the Beatles/Stones/Guy Lombardo/Chubby Checkers etc were the best ever, and then 30 years later someone tried to bring them in as an ad to sell to your kids.

Wrong generation, and a show that is resting on its laurels.

jjjoseph

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2013
HAHAHA, everyone knows how funny billionaires are.. Everyone.. HAHAHA, I'm still laughing.. They have such a great sense of humor, so in touch with their people. Check out a tour of billionaires doing stand up, its a great time.

APPLE -- "I made you laugh, buy iPhone now please"

EDIT!!! Actually if Tracy Morgan, said... "BUY A ***** iPhone now MOTHER *****" I would laugh, and maybe buy a new iPhone, even if I didn't need too.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Sadly, you're correct. I adandoned SNL years ago. The Will Ferrell/Chris Farley days were the best. Although, I'm curious to see what Apple has to contribute to SNL.
We are all probably victims of the era we grew up in. To me the 70s and 80s were the high point of SNL. Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Eddie Murphy, etc.

Reactions: 44267547

MacPioneer

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2010
SNL has already done an Apple commercial - doesn't anyone remember "The Power To Crush The Other Kids", back in the eighties?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.