Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Mac Studio that was introduced today may be as powerful as the current Mac Pro, but Apple made it clear that the device is not intended to be a Mac Pro replacement.

2019-mac-pro-side-and-front.jpg

Apple senior vice president of Hardware Engineering John Ternus teased a new Apple silicon Mac Pro on stage at today's event to address any confusion about the company's Mac Pro plans.

When talking about the transition to Apple silicon across the Mac lineup, Ternus said that there's "just one more product to go: Mac Pro," before adding "that's for another day."

Apple did not provide additional details on when we could see a refreshed Mac Pro, but it's possible such a machine will be introduced as soon as WWDC. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has said that Apple has additional Mac-related announcements planned for May and June of this year.

The Mac Studio is equipped with M1 Max or M1 Ultra chips. The M1 Ultra features a 20-core CPU and up to a 64-core GPU, along with a 32-core Neural Engine.

Though the Mac Studio does not replace the Mac Pro (or the high-end Mac mini), it does appear to be a replacement for the 27-inch iMac, which Apple has now discontinued.

Article Link: Apple Teases Apple Silicon Mac Pro at Spring Event

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
I was surprised they made mention but it makes sense – only one remaining, big elephant in the room. And this high end Mac Studio is 80% FASTER THAN THE MAC PRO. In other words, don't buy it, says Apple.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
I think they have staggered their M1 series launches to ensure their stock price doesn’t blow through the roof at once.

So much engineering innovation but releases are carefully launched every 6/12 months. I bet the Mac Pro with M1 Extreme and 40 cores will launch in the October event. Its very likely that Apple would announce this Machine during WWDC 22. Its the ripe time for them to bury Intel once and for all.

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

bassanoclapper

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
London
Really interseting they got rid of a 27" imac...I'm assuming a imac pro or at least a bigger imac is coming out at some point
Bigger iMac - maybe - but they made a point if only 1 more Apple Silicon Mac to come and that’s the Mac Pro

I REALLY don’t want a white-bezelled 24” iMac ?

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
So there is M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, M1 Ultra... and now there will likely be 1 more chip in the 1st gen (M1 series).

what name is bigger/better than Max/Ultra? M1 definitive?

anyways...

It looks like the final M1 chip will be essentially multiple M1 Max connected together. The M1 Ultra is essentially 2x M1 Max put together... the M1 chip in the Mac Pro would likely be 4 x M1 Max linked together... or possibly even more than 4. They might have something to reveal for like giant server replacements for cloud computing that is several M1 series chips linked together.

Definitely going to be more on that secret M1 Max feature that will be apart of a future apple event for Mac Pro.

Reactions: nol2001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.