Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
So long as the hard drive is not easily removable, I will not buy a Time Capsule, and I will recommend against it to customers. After all, you can't check the SMART status, you can't perform a surface scan, you can't fix permissions issues, and you can't repair the directory structure without reformatting it.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
What about those who don't have a Time Capsule? :(

You're right.

Why does Apple make me buy their products so I can use their stuff? I mean, Android, Palm and Blackberry users should get a free upgrade to iOS 5 as well as iPhone users. This is ridiculous!
:rolleyes:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I'd love an updated Time Capsule. Hopefully they can improve the wireless range a bit, making it so that I no longer need an Airport Express in my apartment. I think the chance is low... but I hope they don't say "oh we've found a better way to do Time Capsule - and it's completely in the cloud" - I really want a local copy of my stuff. It's invaluable to me!

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Expect "Post PC Era" to be mentioned a few times in the Keynote. This is awesome.

i highly agree.

the only thing and it was mentioned above is that people have limited usage in a month. My family just switched to uverse and now att decides we can only have 250 gb a month. i have over 1000 apps on my computer, getting about 10 updates a day and then on top of that software for my phone, ipad and computer. this is just me and not the other 3 people in my family. companies like att need to realize the new age we are in and think accordingly.

cadillac1234

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Crap.

Another want but probably don't need so that means I'll be getting it for sure :p

If Apple does update the Extreme and the Express I hope they allow for web or IOS app configuration. I like traveling with just the IPad and it's always a crapshoot to set up the express beforehand

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So long as the hard drive is not easily removable, I will not buy a Time Capsule, and I will recommend against it to customers. After all, you can't check the SMART status, you can't perform a surface scan, you can't fix permissions issues, and you can't repair the directory structure without reformatting it.

Time Capsule DOES display SMART status. Go to Airport Utility > Disks. (This is also where you disconnect users of the disk remotely; such as if you want to unplug and you’re not sure if someone else may be connected.)

I’m led to believe that the TC does a surface scan and auto-repair on bootup (kind of like the way a Mac does when you hold Shift: you don’t see a report, it just happens). Sorry, can’t recall the source—probably an Apple tech note (I was wondering about this a couple months ago and searched online for reassurance).

Granted, some people want to (need to?) tinker, but nothing can beat my beloved TC for keeping my data backed up really well, really easily! (And without ease... I’m just not gonna back up as often. That’s trouble.) The first and most important think I need from a backup is that it be painless. Ability to do repairs manually instead of automatically is way down the list.

I'd love an updated Time Capsule. Hopefully they can improve the wireless range a bit, making it so that I no longer need an Airport Express in my apartment. I think the chance is low... but I hope they don't say "oh we've found a better way to do Time Capsule - and it's completely in the cloud" - I really want a local copy of my stuff. It's invaluable to me!

Agreed: local and cloud backups are both important. I don’t expect either option to go away.

As for range, it’s the luck of the structure I suppose! My TC (first-gen) reaches a good 200 feet away from my apartment, down an internal hallway with two bends and multiple concrete walls, in a building packed with a zillion competing networks! Over 15 listed in any one spot. I tried walking away listening to an audio stream over WiFi on my iPhone (3G off), and was amazed how far I got before the signal dropped. I can even use my TC WiFi from a fairly distant area, one building over, where I park my car.

I expect to wake up with sunburns from the thing.

Last edited:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
This is the sign of the further untethering of iOS devices. I mean otherwise you can just use your computer to download the update can't you? Been awhile since I had an iOS device.

Or its just a feature add to keep the price of their routers high.

I'd like it more if the Time Capsule were an iTunes server.

That would make alot of sense with today's iOS devices, low storage capacity MBAs and even laptops.

I suppose though you might as well just buy a Mac Mini then.

ACTually why doesn't Apple make a $300 iTunes server in the form of a low power Mac Mini. Only needs enough ram and cpu and gpu to be an iTunes server. Doesn't even need a gpu I guess. Put a 1.4ghz C2D in there along with 1gb of ram. 8gb of Flash or so for the iTunes server and updates and some cache. Storage would be external drives. Bonus would be room for user replaceable hard drive. Doesn't need disc drive or any ports except ethernet ports.

would be controlled with iOS device or Mac.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I may get a new Time Capsule. I am still rockin with my first generation 500GB. Fortunately, I never had any issues with it. Still running perfectly. I may upgrade to a newer model for the larger disk.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Hm.. The update pre-downloading is a nice little touch, I guess. Depending on how far they go with it it's probably not too significant for most consumer environments.

I'm not excited at all about the iCloud cache idea. Wouldn't it end up being a highly limited, inflexible, rarely updated media server? Like the media serving capabilities of iTune but less. Well, if Apple opened up iCloud and TC to third party protocols and all user media and TC did automatic push and pull sync between iCloud and devices, it would be interesting. But I assume Apple won't do that.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've been debating whether to get a Time Capsule to replace my current, aging, single band Airport Extreme: If this capability is added I think I'll definitely get one :)

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would love a TC, if it had RAID5... As it is I am unexcited about storing 450GB of iTunes video on a single drive...

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
If they replace the TC, I suspect it will use an A4/5 processor and a modified iOS....which means a JB will probably come out at some point.

I wonder what hacks people could come up with?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
i highly agree.

the only thing and it was mentioned above is that people have limited usage in a month. My family just switched to uverse and now att decides we can only have 250 gb a month. i have over 1000 apps on my computer, getting about 10 updates a day and then on top of that software for my phone, ipad and computer. this is just me and not the other 3 people in my family. companies like att need to realize the new age we are in and think accordingly.

Heavy users like yourself need to start paying for your usage instead of paying same price as light users and freeloading off of the light users. But hopefully that payment won't be too high.

This update has the real potential of streamlining your update process. So net net you will probably like it.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
i would certainly expect for this new feature to become available after a Firmware Update, and not by being forced to buy new hardware.
There are no excuses!

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
nice - turning the TimeCapsule into some sort of mini server for @home.

Just so you know, Time Capsule can already be used as a file server that you can access remotely over the internet. I'm accessing the one at my house right now from work.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
Heavy users like yourself need to start paying for your usage instead of paying same price as light users and freeloading off of the light users. But hopefully that payment won't be too high.

This update has the real potential of streamlining your update process. So net net you will probably like it.

heavy usage, i dont think so. i only use my computer for looking at websites. no xbox live, no netflix, no internet radio, nothing. i look at websites and update my apps. its not my fault that every week i have a about 3 GBs of updates. im just saying as technology gets more advanced and we move to a more post pc era and everything moves to the cloud and so on people will be using this data likes it nothing. oh and, ive used only 4 gb of data total the one year ive had my iphone so i wouldnt call myself a heavy user. maybe somewhere in the middle.

EDIT: keep in mind my family has a netflix subscription however i dont use it. we watch maybe 5 movies a month. i have an xbox but dont have time to play online so i dont buy a live account. if it wasnt for computer updates and app updates and any kind of update my family of 4 would use maybe 15 gb a month. thats not saying though as new technology comes out there might be something we buy that will use a lot of bandwidth. cell phone and cable companies aren't thinking into the future. yes i would love this time capsule however for it download updates without me telling to could be harmful to others as some people do use a lot data. i really like the idea and apple has done good with it but it could be limited. sorry for the rant lol

Last edited:

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Crap.

Another want but probably don't need so that means I'll be getting it for sure :p

If Apple does update the Extreme and the Express I hope they allow for web or IOS app configuration. I like traveling with just the IPad and it's always a crapshoot to set up the express beforehand

You could always reset the Express to its factory settings when you get to the hotel or wherever you are. It sets up its own network by default, which you can join and then modify the settings.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Time Capsule with Thunderbolt port?

I wonder why I haven't seen anybody mention the idea of the next generation Time Capsule including a Thunderbolt port. Wouldn't that be slick?:cool:

And I sure do like the idea of huge updates downloading during the day while I'm at work at night while I'm asleep. I hate to come home and then have to wait 2 hours for things to finish downloading.

Hopefully you can tell it you want the combo update instead of the regular one.

I expect it's possible a firmware update could be made available for current Time Capsules to add the caching feature. But, if you want Thunderbolt, you will have to buy the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.