Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
That's great. Improvements are always welcomed if they help the customer

3 customers at a time is welcomed NOT! The thing that makes Apple different was that they took time with you to deal with your problem.

Hate throwing out some studies but there are plenty showing humans do go down hill if you force them to multitask. I really don't want this type of change to move forward just seems like Apple is going the wrong way, oh Steve we do miss you. :rolleyes:

Simple read on why people should stop deluding them selves they can multitask.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/multitasking-emotional-feel-better-_n_1467945.html

MacMan1620

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
what a stupid idea.. the apple store staff is already underpaid and over worked as it is. why doesn't apple spend a bit of that 100 Billion they have lying around and simply hire more staff! I miss Steve!

alanjay

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
partially doing this already in London

Last week I went to the Apple Store in Regent St and as well as the two Genius Bars (one for iPhone etc and one for Mac) the Mac Geniuses were working on two tables next to the bar area helping users in a more informal side by side setting.

un10101

Jun 25, 2012
OK
It looks to me that no matter what any store does, Apple or otherwise, no one will ever be happy. I think the majority of people just like to find something to complain about. I mean honestly. You know how busy Apple stores are and you have to wait 15 minutes and are surprised about it? Take a look around you. There are other people there as well.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
Honestly, all of this strikes me as Apple trying mightily to avoid the *real* solution to their problems; leasing out larger areas for their stores.

I second this. Every time I go to an Apple store it's completely packed and it takes ages to purchase something.

Moreover if you have a problem and you want them to have a look at something, you have to book an appointment (sic!). This doesn't happen in other (similar) retail stores.

That might also be partially due to the fact that people come to Apple Stores to ask stupid questions about their devices.

----------

Heh, maybe I'm reading too much into this but Apple's trademark simplicity seems to boil down to even the considerations of interior design. Simply rotating a table 90 degrees allows double the customer space. Genius.

I think you're definitely reading too much into this ;)

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Na

I don't care much for this "Genius Bar" idea... I like the separation between me and the "genius" and the kids section is one of the best features of Apple stores. If it weren't there, it's unlikely that I would visit Apple stores very often unless I absolutely had to.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I've been into my local Apple Store in Colorado Springs and each time I've had to wait on average 10-15 minutes even to buy a trackpad. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I thought buying online and then picking up at the store would work faster. It didn't...I still had to wait in line until a tech was free to come over and process my purchase.

Next time I want an Apple accessory I'll just go to my local Best Buy. I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

actually for something as simple as a track pad you can use your apple app and pay for it yourself while standing there. no attendant needed. how slick is that?

Edit: slaps his own head, um, this might not be so slick if you don't own an iPhone sorry.

loko

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
"Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way"

I have purchased many many many macs, ipods, and ipads only because of my children.

This is wrong

Silver Box

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I agree with you on that. I feel like I know an infinite amount more than they do and they are supposed to be the "geniuses"? Yeah, i think not. They act slighly arrogant and they shouldnt, they arent the next Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak...:D

So... you know more than they do and you're calling them arrogant?

Oh, the irony.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I like this new layout for a very different reason: less confusion about how to pay for things.

Every time I've had a genius bar appt there seems to be half a dozen people thinking that the GB is a bank of registers. My genius then had to take time to tell them to turn around and talk to somebody with an easy pay or use their iPhone to check out.

Having a registerless store with a typical retail layout (products up front, registers at the back wall) doesn't work very well right now - at least for the hordes of suburbanites who typically frequent Apple stores.

This is about the only positive I see here from the change... hadn't considered it. thanks!

but, I don't see this design as working. I like having clear space between me and the genius so we can look at the computer/ipad/iphone together without feeling crowded. And what about all that test equipment they keep tucked behind? Are they going to have to go look for it now in some other location (taking more time)? The geniuses have to stand somewhere, are they going to start kicking people off the stools so they can sit and work? etc etc etc.

but worst idea ever is to get rid of the kid's area. 1) the kid's area keeps parents who are waiting happy. 2) the unfortunate kid will now most likely want to sit at the table next to mommy or daddy. 3) when said kid starts acting out from boredom the rest of the customers will also get annoyed.

but Apple didn't ask my my opinion. Apparently they think its their store.

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
The Genius staff are useless, my friends permissions all got screwed up on OS X. The staff just told him to reinstall OS X. In the end I fixed the permissions using chmod recursively on his user folder.

emiliosic

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Wakefield MA
It's a shame that they're considering the removal of the kids section. My 2 and 3 year old already know about it; They occasionally dragged me to the stores and purchased educational software for them; also keeps them busy when I occasionally need to shop around the store. This would be another reason not to set foot into these stores

IndyDave

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
Texas
Hardly

Sorry, but that's just stupid. Apple's bread and butter is families*, with kids. Don't be daft.

Not to mention the obvious marketing. Every time we went to the Store, I'd hear about whatever game they had that I didn't for weeks. "Please buy xxx, dad!"

* Well, except for the phone.

And your sales data that back this claim come from where, exactly? A consumer with no children (grown or by choice) may have far more discretionary income to blow on the latest, greatest and may not be amused by gummy-fingered, shrieking children while trying to make a relatively expensive technology purchase. If you can afford the products and services, you can afford a babysitter. I have never made an Apple store purchase for this reason. Ever.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This is a miss on two counts.

1. There are far too many people to do this with for the Genius Bar. There is a circus atmosphere around the genius 'bar' already. Waking it so that people can mill around on both sides is just going to make it uglier. Why not a circle table with the geniuses in the inside, and one cut to allow for them to get in/out.
  2. I see parental units 'parking' their kids at the kids table all the time. Not having 'jr.' pawing at the displays and yanking their parents hand for attention is a cool idea. Parental units tend to feel more relaxed and probably buy more then too. Apple should actually invest more into the whole 'kids table' idea, rather than dump it...

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I've been into my local Apple Store in Colorado Springs and each time I've had to wait on average 10-15 minutes even to buy a trackpad. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I thought buying online and then picking up at the store would work faster. It didn't...I still had to wait in line until a tech was free to come over and process my purchase.

Next time I want an Apple accessory I'll just go to my local Best Buy. I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

NOT TRUE!!

Apple made it easier to buy accessories with their Apple Store iPhone App. It has Express Checkout. All you do is find your accessory on the shelf scan it using the Apple Store App and walk out. The App uses the payment method on your iTunes account and emails you a receipt.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
To me, it looks really awkward and a huge waste of space. I don't know why they didn't simply keep it parallel with the back wall, but pulled out a little further so accommodate people on both sides.

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
not to be snide but it isn't Apples job to entertain your kids. If they are too young to handle the wait they should be left at home with Mom, Granny, a babysitter or such

I don't think I had given enough information for you to be able to pass judgement on how my children should or should not be cared for in tandem with the journey I have to undertake to actually get to an Apple store? I'd used the word 'had', which might have been a clue that there weren't many options open to me other than taking them along.

Andrew

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
If it's not an Apple branded item, you don't have to speak to anyone; just use the Apple Store app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to scan the bar code and OK the charge, and you're out of there.

----------

That doesn't work if the product is Apple branded, unfortunately.

NOT TRUE!!

I paid for my Apple branded iPhone and iPad docks with the app. The only things that you can't buy are hardware that is stored in the back. Such as iMacs, MacBooks,Mac Mini, iPad,iPhone etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.