Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Sure a 21.5" TBD would be low margin. Just look at who they would be competing against.

A non-sequitur doesn't substitute for an actual argument. That strategy was already tried and it got blown out of the water. Care to think of something else?

NixPix

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Revision

When I ordered a few of those before Christmas, the order was cancelled and replaced with one containing a revision B of the displays.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
A non-sequitur doesn't substitute for an actual argument. That strategy was already tried and it got blown out of the water. Care to think of something else?

There are many good points made in posts #243, #261 and #266. If you don't want to have an intelligent conversation about this fine. But you have yet responded ybz90's arguments.

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
This would be a real boost for Thunderbolt showing more of what its truly capable of. Driving USB and ethernet ports only shows a small fraction of what is actually possible. A high end graphics card built into the monitor could be a market changer for laptop users giving low power consumption when your mobile and true high end performance when your at your desk.

It's probably wishful thinking. :( I do think there would be a market for such a product. I know there are companies working on Thunderbolt enclosures for external video cards, but having an all-in-one solution is very appealing.

Big Screen, Big Performance. The marketing writes itself, lol. Shame Apple doesn't read these forums :/

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
You can reply to as many posts as you'd like. It won't change the fact that your contention is utter nonsense. With all due respect, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Everything you said is completely false. A 21.5" TB display would not be a low margin product. Period. And apple competes in several "low margin", "saturated" markets. Do your homework before you spout off.

Take some of your own advice. You haven't given a single reason why my valid commentary is "utter nonsense." Until you give some - any - evidence or reasoning, your talk is just that -- nothing but talk. With all due respect, it's clearly you who has no idea what you're talking about, and worse still, no desire to engage in intelligent, fact-based discussion.

Here's a better idea: instead of me explaining to you why you're mistaken, why don't you add some substance tell us exactly why you contend a 21.5" TB display would not be low margin? (Or more specifically, why if it isn't low margin, how it could find success. And even then, why Apple would dedicate valuable resources to such a trivial revenue stream). I want to know what your reasoning is on this matter.

Before you continue to embarrass yourself, exactly what "low margin, saturated" markets does Apple compete in? Besides the DAP market, which they have perennially dominated and have been downplaying and downsizing year-on-year, they only play to the premium or to "new" sectors where they have first mover advantage. You could try to argue that they play in the professional software industries, but the return of these investments isn't revenue from selling software, but rather the value-added benefits of a strong ecosystem for professionals.

Apple has always done this virtually since their inception, and in many ways, this is what contributed to their near downfall and the reason Microsoft was able to win out two decades ago. The difference now is Apple controls tremendous mindshare so they can move volume while maintaining margins.

P.S. If you want to be a jerk to me because of our difference of opinions, that's fine. But there's no need to be hostile to other people as well like 53x12 who don't deserve your rudeness.

Handsome Bacon

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
Not reading this whole thread butwhat about this new Monoprice monitor that is supposedly using the same panel for $390?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

"The heart of this monitor is the beautiful IPS (In-Plane Switching) LED panel made by LG in Korea. This is the same panel that is used in the 27" Apple Cinema Displays, which are famous for their stunning color reproduction and ultra-wide viewing angle."

Last edited:

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I haven't had any USB issues, although my first display died after 2 days. The replacement has been fine. What kind of bugginess?

Mainly related to keyboards. Both me and my coworker have an issue that if we plug in our external USB hard drives to the display our USB keyboards randomly stop working.

My coworker additionally has a problem where his Apple USB keyboard won't work when he boots up with the Thunderbolt Display plugged in. I may be missing some detail of this, but he can reproduce it 100% of the time. Funny thing is I don't have that problem with my non-Apple Unicomp keyboard.

We've reported these issues to Apple. The last rMBP firmware update did NOT fix it.

Now the workaround is to plug a powered USB hub into the TB display, and then plug everything into the hub. So it's really not a big deal since there is this workaround, but it's still something I would expect to be fixed. Since a powered USB hub fixes it, I'm lead to believe that the TB display's USB ports are having an issue delivering enough power.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Not reading this whole thread butwhat about this new Monoprice monitor that is supposedly using the same panel for $390?

It seems very similar to the Korean imports on eBay but about $100 more expensive (with the benefit of a US-based warranty; if your Korean one goes kaput, you're pretty much SOL).

You wont get the build quality or the looks of an ATD, nor the convenience or even the ports (I believe they're all dual-link DVI only as input, so if you have a Mac with only miniDP out, you'll need a $50-100 powered active adapter, which will consume the miniDP and a USB as well). But, the image quality should be great. Most of the Korean ones use B+ or A- panels, and I believe Monoprice makes the guarantee that they will only use at least A- panels. I have a Korean Shimian along with my ATD, and while the build leaves much to be desired, the IQ itself is identical.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Take some of your own advice. You haven't given a single reason why my valid commentary is "utter nonsense." Until you give some - any - evidence or reasoning, your talk is just that -- nothing but talk. With all due respect, it's clearly you who has no idea what you're talking about, and worse still, no desire to engage in intelligent, fact-based discussion.

Your argument was not based in fact, was not supported by any evidence, and your "reasoning" is specious at best. You made a declaration you had no business making. You have absolutely no authority to declare what apple will or will not do. Simple as that. It is ludicrous to throw out words like "never" in the technology sector. Such "arguments" aren't even worth discussing.

Furthermore, you have absolutely no idea what apple's profit margin would be on a hypothetical 21.5 TBD. Declaring such a product "low-margin" is nonsense when you have no clue how much such a product would a) cost to build and b) sell for. You dug yourself deeper by making several factually incorrect statements about apple and the markets they do (or do not) compete in.

I'm sorry, but the kindest word I can use to describe your argument is nonsensical. It doesn't warrant further discussion or argument. You simply aren't qualified to make such statements in the first place. You remind me of all of the "business experts" who swore up and down for months that apple would never release an ipad mini. In fact, I bet you *were* one of those people.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
When I ordered a few of those before Christmas, the order was cancelled and replaced with one containing a revision B of the displays.

Rev B just included the magsafe 2 adaptor so you can still use it with your new laptop.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

"The heart of this monitor is the beautiful IPS (In-Plane Switching) LED panel made by LG in Korea. This is the same panel that is used in the 27" Apple Cinema Displays, which are famous for their stunning color reproduction and ultra-wide viewing angle."

Yeah, the Korean knock-offs are coming.. It won't be long though before more mainstream makers like Samsung also have monitors like this. I guess at that point it all boils down to aesthetics, if you're willing to couple your shiny silvery mac hardware with an ugly black knock off monitor, then go for it... You will also not get any docking functions or a build in charger for your laptop. Also these monitors are in very limited supply at the moment.

I view the Thunderbolt display as this value:
Laptop charger - $90 bucks
Docking station w/ ports - $200
Thunderbolt cable built in $40 bucks
Actual monitor value around $669

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The MacPro is basically already EOL'd... Has been for a quite some time now.

Neither the Mac Pro nor the non-Thunderbolt ACD are EOL'd. They are still sold on Apple's site, new in box.

----------

It won't be long though before more mainstream makers like Samsung also have monitors like this.

err...

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA

Ok... new monitor right ? Fresh off the press right ?

err...

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-s27a850d/4505-3174_7-35018743.html
Review Date: 10/29/11

Matte with Anti-glare coating, LED backlit, PLS screen, 2560x1440, USB 3.0 hub, DisplayPort connectivity. In October 2011. Drop the Samsung hate guys.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Next Display = AppleTV

This will be the AppleTV. Thunderbolt Display with AppleTV built in.

• 27" $999
  • 42" $1499
  • 60" $1999

• AppleTV
  • FaceTime (camera + 2 noise cancelling mics)
  • 4x USB 3
  • 3x Thunderbolt ports
  • Coaxial to Thunderbolt adapter included
  • 3x HDMI
  • SD Card reader
  • Ethernet port
  • iOS DVR app with iCloud
  • Airport 802.11ac
  • AirPlay w/ Snow Lion display no-lag mirroring

*VESA mount sold separately

Remote:
magic-trackpad-520x194.jpg

What more do you need? :D

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This will be the AppleTV. Thunderbolt Display with AppleTV built in.

• 27" $999
  • 42" $1499
  • 60" $1999

• AppleTV
  • FaceTime (camera + 2 noise cancelling mics)
  • 4x USB 3
  • 3x Thunderbolt ports
  • Coaxial to Thunderbolt adapter included
  • 3x HDMI
  • SD Card reader
  • Ethernet port
  • iOS DVR app with iCloud
  • Airport 802.11ac
  • AirPlay w/ Snow Lion display no-lag mirroring

*VESA mount sold separately

What more do you need? :D

At that price ? 4K resolution support.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, the Korean knock-offs are coming.. It won't be long though before more mainstream makers like Samsung also have monitors like this. I guess at that point it all boils down to aesthetics, if you're willing to couple your shiny silvery mac hardware with an ugly black knock off monitor, then go for it... You will also not get any docking functions or a build in charger for your laptop. Also these monitors are in very limited supply at the moment.

I view the Thunderbolt display as this value:
Laptop charger - $90 bucks
Docking station w/ ports - $200
Thunderbolt cable built in $40 bucks
Actual monitor value around $669

What about the $50 or so for the built in webcam?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
At that price ? 4K resolution support.

I'm not psychic but I wouldn't expect them to just yet. The new iMac has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 so I'd expect the new Apple Display/TV to sport the same res at launch (if in early to mid 2013). The larger displays would likely have to have their own graphic cards to enable a MacBook (Pro or Air) to drive so many pixels or they'd have to be upscaled which could end up looking like crap.

If this display is launched in 2014, it would make sense to have 4K. If we're looking at a Fall launch, it may be possible that the iMac refresh gets a retina display and these new Apple Displays/TV's use the same panels.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm not psychic but I wouldn't expect them to just yet. The new iMac has a resolution of 2560 x 1440 so I'd expect the new Apple Display/TV to sport the same res at launch (if in early to mid 2013). The larger displays would likely have to have their own graphic cards to enable a MacBook (Pro or Air) to drive so many pixels or they'd have to be upscaled which could end up looking like crap.

If this display is launched in 2014, it would make sense to have 4K. If we're looking at a Fall launch, it may be possible that the iMac refresh gets a retina display and these new Apple Displays/TV's use the same panels.

Have you seen the CES coverage ? 1440p is not a TV resolution. 4K is what is it for high end TVs in 2013. Sony, LG, Sharp, Samsung have all demoed and announced Spring as the beginning of 4K. Everyone skipped over 1440p as a TV resolution.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I'd seen the sonnet rack solution already, there's a video from Avid showing them running Pro Tools HD on a Mac Mini with custom drivers on YouTube. It's still the hard drive issue and the fact a lot of PCI cards are double wide or need a power feed from the motherboard. If they made something that handled double wide cards and had integrated SATA 6Gb/s with built in drive bays and the price was right, it would solve a lot of problems and not just be for the Mac Mini.

Avid ended up bringing out Thunderbolt native systems for a huge price premium.

It's a shame there's not a solution that negates the need for custom drivers and is totally transparent. Something like the way the Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter works, it just shows as an additional port, they could just show up as a number of available PCIe slots in system profiler and the hardware wouldn't know the difference.

Exactly, like an external PCI-e slot, like what expresscard SHOULD have been.

With expresscard, your OS just thinks it's an internal card. People even made Expresscard/34 GPU adapters that worked well with no need for special drivers or otherwise. Thunderbolt is, in theory, a bit faster. But still, is a different technology. Thunderbolt is a great storage medium, like FireWire. Great for external drives. But I STILL think we need an ePCI or some such port. Not a big wide bar like ExpressCard, I truly think it could be done by matching the pins onto smaller pins inside a small port, you could probably eliminate pins that exclusively carry power as one would assume such a setup would require a powered device on the other end. Then you could have full speed PCI-E SSD's, graphics cards, 10gbE or 100gbE cards, all sorts of things that could make something like a 15" MBP really really relevant.

Some people are still resisting but, todays high end notebooks are very very fast, and are as capable as a desktop for most people in most situations. Some sort of external PCI bus could really embrace that market. I still use a desktop too, but I would LOVE to not have to jump between two machines based on my needs. A powerful, quad core laptop, plugged into an external GPU and perhaps a RAID array? I wouldn't need my desktop anymore (assuming the GPU could run at full speed and thus be better than a mid-grade consumer GPU).

Pipe dream maybe, but it'll happen one day I think!

And who knows. The HD4000 on my 13" MBP beats my first couple 'gaming computers' I built years ago!

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Thunderbolt is a great storage medium, like FireWire. Great for external drives. But I STILL think we need an ePCI or some such port.

Thunderbolt is external PCIe in the sense you are discussing. The connection itself uses PCIe, and it's possible to hook up PCIe devices through a chassis (ViDock is already working on this). The issue is really that getting high speeds over long runs is tough. Especially with something as electrically complicated as PCIe. RF crosstalk and interference starts to play hell with your signals. To reach the full potential of an external PCIe bus, optical cabling is your best bet.

Right now, with the copper cabling, Thunderbolt will be the bottleneck on current generation GPU cards. Which is a problem to be overcome. On paper, the optical cabling can enable 100Gbit over Thunderbolt, but that could take years.

As for drivers, that just needs a "standard" for exposing PCIe chassis boxes over Thunderbolt. Much like USB Mass Storage makes driverless USB hard drives possible. Perhaps Thunderbolt already has that, but I am not 100% sure. Might need something in order to handle hot-swapping which you don't normally deal with when working with PCIe cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.