Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeteJames

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2010
England
£699 would be perfect and id get one at this price. One of the reasons why ive stayed away from them thus far is the extremely tight diff in the baseline imac

I think he meant dollars which would be even more perfect. £900 is proposterous :eek: Agreed - not much point in getting this over an imac

daimand

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Best known Apple Premium Reseller in Belgium: all TBD out of stock.

Online -> shipping 24h! =s

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
LOL on TLA overloads

Best known Apple Premium Reseller in Belgium: all TBD out of stock.

Online -> shipping 24h! =s

The TLA "TBD" is commonly used for "To Be Determined" - a placeholder for info that's not yet available.

Love how the people here on MacRumours will randomly create TLAs or FLAs based on their interpretations (or mis-interpretations) of Apple product names - without regard to whether or not the acronym already has a well-established usage.

It's too bad that people can't type a couple of extra letters so that their posts are clear.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I'm happy with my current TBD... it matches my 27" iMac perfectly. Sure the new one will be smaller and probably more power efficient but....

whatever.

daimand

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
The TLA "TBD" is commonly used for "To Be Determined" - a placeholder for info that's not yet available.

Love how the people here on MacRumours will randomly create TLAs or FLAs based on their interpretations (or mis-interpretations) of Apple product names - without regard to whether or not the acronym already has a well-established usage.

It's too bad that people can't type a couple of extra letters so that their posts are clear.

Crybaby! Your post is containing a lot of useful information too! Just in case: google sarcasm.

When browsing thru a thread called: Apple Thunderbolt Displays, one could easily figure out how to interprete TBD.

Don't f33d the tr0ll!

louie0817

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2013

C'mon, everyone knows the release date for the new TBD is TBD.

gevezex

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2013
I don't know guys but when you try to buy one on the apple site it says "Available to ship: Within 24 hours" ??

I doubt there will be a new apple cinema display soon or am I wrong?

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I really want to upgrade my monitor so hope it's this year. I'm sure when the Mac Pro is finally updated the TBD will as well.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
$1000 isn't outlandish for an IPS display running at 2560x1400. Competitors are in the $7-800s, without ports and docking ability.

I take it you haven't checked in a bit. Under $400 for a 2560x1400 IPS 27". $600 for a some ports and a thunderbolt passthrough seems a bit much. http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11401&cs_id=1130704&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Some reviews indicate the panel in this monitor is the exact same one as in the thunderbolt (it even has the cutouts for where the camera would be).

jwjsr

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
Fairhope, Alabama
I take it you haven't checked in a bit. Under $400 for a 2560x1400 IPS 27". $600 for a some ports and a thunderbolt passthrough seems a bit much. http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...11401&cs_id=1130704&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Some reviews indicate the panel in this monitor is the exact same one as in the thunderbolt (it even has the cutouts for where the camera would be).

They(monoprice) have improved this monitor since I last looked.

I ended up with the TBd open box for 800.00 from best buy. A friend had it for 30 days and returned it and I went to best buy and bought it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I get your point, but I think it is more like $600 for some ports, a Thunderbolt passthrough, a microphone, speakers, and an iSight camera if you really want to compare. If those things aren't important to you, by all means go with the third party monitor.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I get your point, but I think it is more like $600 for some ports, a Thunderbolt passthrough, a microphone, speakers, and an iSight camera if you really want to compare. If those things aren't important to you, by all means go with the third party monitor.

I'm with ya. Really, it's $100 for some parts and $500 for the Apple industrial design and simplicity of having everything in one neat package. Obviosly there are plenty of people out there willing to pay that premium.

I was more pointing out that it's not the 27" 2560x1400 IPS panel that makes the monitor cost $1000, and anything over $500 for someone who wants just that panel is a rip off.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008

mrdogcat

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
When, when, when is this display going to be updated?!... Surely this alleged short supply have been all sold now... Or is this a story found false and stocks have been replenished again? (since it was first reported way back in Jan).

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
When, when, when is this display going to be updated?!... Surely this alleged short supply have been all sold now... Or is this a story found false and stocks have been replenished again? (since it was first reported way back in Jan).

Mac. Pro.

It's as simple as reading this thread.

Ancaster

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
We recently did a kitchen reno and I wanted to pair a a new style TBD with the hidden Mac Mini on our small desk in the corner (business use). In the meantime, we've been using a U2711. To be honest, the screen is really enjoyable and probably better than the current glossy TBD because the kitchen is so bright.

If we don't hear anything on Sept 10, it's likely going to be 2014. However, new Mac Pro buyers will want new monitors; and if they go 4K, they'll need to go non-Apple. So we might be looking at 2 different monitors from Cook and Co.
Before the introduction of the Pro last WWDC, a new TBD was low priority. If you wanted that slim profile look, you had to buy a new iMac and they had enough trouble yielding them.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
As much as I'd like to see USB 3.0 show up in a refreshed Thunderbolt Display, I'm really hoping they don't lose the FW800 connector in the bargain...

I'm over and done with the FW800 connector. It's served it's purpose. Time for something new and better. Been waiting for the new Thunderbolt display to come out.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Wow, that was a blast from the past! LOL!

I'm over and done with the FW800 connector. It's served it's purpose. Time for something new and better. Been waiting for the new Thunderbolt display to come out.

That's fine if you don't have any FW800/FW400 devices left. I still have a few FireWire audio interfaces and a handful of FW backup drives. When I do finally replace them, I'll probably just go the USB 3.0 route...

jaredm1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Bucks, UK
Put in a small A7 chip into this thing, iOS and make it touch screen and you'll have a nice setup for....

... AirPlay
... games
... Check emails, browse web, etc. when not connected to a Mac
... AppleTV with a screen without the box

*dreaming*

Well it better be something impressive along these lines, why else would they have waited so long?!

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
Put in a small A7 chip into this thing, iOS and make it touch screen and you'll have a nice setup for....

... AirPlay
... games
... Check emails, browse web, etc. when not connected to a Mac
... AppleTV with a screen without the box

You mean, like an iPhone? :p
Well it better be something impressive along these lines, why else would they have waited so long?!
Nine months later and we still have no updated TBD. My current suspicion is that one will only be announced with the new no-storage Mac Pro.

AwFrak

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
Canada
Apple Cinema LED displays go missing at apple.com

Hey Folks,

I have recently been weighing my options for an Apple Display, and I thought it may be of interest to all of you that I noticed a change in the online retail of these devices... Yesterday you could view a LED Cinema display (pre-Thunderbolt) on the apple store website (both in Canada and USA) and today the links to the LED Cinema do not work; they either send you to the thunderbolt display or to a bunch of display accessories...

Perhaps an announcement will occur soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.