Apple time capsule refresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zulkiflim, Sep 20, 2010.

1. zulkiflim macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

Anyone got any idea if and when the Time capsule will be refreshed?

2. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

You got any ideas as to what they would do to refresh it? Gig ethernet, 802.11n, 2tb drive seems pretty much up to date to me...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they were to refresh time capsule, I'd say they'd increase disk space, and change the enclosure so that is brushed metal, instead of white.

I'd say that there is really little to nothing that can be added to TC, since its pretty well feature complete.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Or black plastic like the new Apple TV.

5. zulkiflim thread starter macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

Well would really want a higher capacity and redesign.
    Not black tho.

Maybe a smaller and mountable unit?

Wouldn't want to buy one now and they decide to release a new version 3 days later.

6. stomer macrumors 6502a

Well there's going to be a firmware update real soon, 7.5.2 arrives this week I think. I don't believe it's linked to any product update.

7. prss14 macrumors regular

prss14

I would like to see a TC with adequate ventilation.

8. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I agree. Wow that thing can get warm.

9. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm lucky in that I'm able to keep it on a bottom shelf near the floor all by itself so it rarely gets more than just a little warm.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I don't think there will be an aesthetic change. These types of devices seem to fall in line with the rest of their all matching, "white" glossy plastic peripheral/accessory range.

Of course, some of these peripherals have broken out of the norm, like the apple remote and the Apple TV, but I also think that these were done intentionally so because of how the remote is most obviously well suited for the Apple TV, hence why they are being packaged together. And in a home theater setup, black and silver are pretty much the only color pallete for HT electronics.

Also note, how they still make and ship the old white Apple remote, only for the Universal Dock for iPod/iPhone.

Likewise, if they changed the TC to aluminum, they'd have to change the entire Airport look as well, which I just don't see happening.

11. aibo macrumors 6502

Instead of waiting for a time capsule refresh, why not plug a NAS into your router? It seems pointless to wait for a refresh on this product when the product already exists (and is cheaper) from any number of companies.

12. zulkiflim thread starter macrumors regular

zulkiflim

Heya

Yep i would agree but for me i have an old router than support up to G.

Currently all my hardware are using N.

So i thought it would be time to change.
    I went thru the internet and it seems that most sites recommend to use Apple router if all my hardware are from apple.

Makes sense i guess.

13. skorpien macrumors 68020

If you're going for an Apple brand router, I highly suggest the AirPort Extreme coupled with a NAS. Make sure to get one that supports Time Machine natively if you are going that route, as it may be a bit more difficult getting one that doesn't support TM backups to work with it. I myself have a TC, but it's been replaced due to the infamous PSU issue. And if the PSU went on the TC, it'll be nearly impossible to get your data off of it (short of opening it up and seating the hard drive in an enclosure).

Lastly, in order for the Time Capsule (or AEBS for that matter) to go brushed metal, they would first need to make sure it doesn't interfere with the AirPort signal. Although it seems to make more sense to keep those plastic. Maybe go black like the ATV though? Still, it would only be an aesthetic change.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There are no current Apple products which have a brushed metal finish.

[​IMG]

I think you all really mean satin anodised finish. ;)

15. skorpien macrumors 68020

Thanks for the clarification :) The last part of my post was in reference to maflynn's post and it was too early/I was too lazy to look up the proper term.

But I would think any metal would probably interfere with the signal quality. It just wouldn't make much sense making a Base Station out of it (I can picture some unsightly antennas sticking out).

16. mekump macrumors newbie

i agree with you all, there's not much more then can be done with the tc, hardware wise. however, a couple more ethernet ports would be nice.

on the software side though, it would be nice if the tc disk could be partitioned. i use the tc as my backup device for a few macs and as my router, wireless and wired. i find that i need to restart the tc occasionally because it slows down over time, especially after large downloads. a sw fix for this would also be nice.

17. stomer macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with my AEBSn+Drobo. That problem is fixed in the next software release.

18. mekump macrumors newbie

Is the next software release going to include 1st gen tc's? Any idea when?

19. stomer macrumors 6502a

I've been told the aim is to have all devices running the same version of the next firmware. It was going to be this week but that's not looking likely anymore. I'd be surprised if it's not out next week.

20. metalblaze macrumors member

Time Capsule vs. Lacie's offering?

Anyone considered/experienced Lacie's Network Space 2 or the newly released Wireless Space? The latter is positioned as TC competitor....I have never used any Lacie product; unsure if I should wait for early Wireless Space adopters, or just go ahead with the TC.

Advice? Suggestions?

21. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

If they paint it black then it transfers faster ;)

They'll change it when 4TB drives come out and they'll charge you $299 for the 2TB version which in parts today cost Apple much less than $150.

My biggest complaint about Apple's Airport products is that in my experience the express works much better with 3rd party base stations than Apple's own. 4-5 years without a single problem where as apple plus apple has a problem every week.

Apple Airport Utility is the worst apple app ever. Why does my airport menu bar say I am connected yet the utility can't find any of my base stations?

Don't get me started on how the apple finder is a pos now

22. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

I've been debating back and forth for a few months on weather to lay down $220 for a 1TB TC refurb. I've been put off by the numerous stories of the device self destructing at 14 to 18 months. But in the end, I want wireless back up, and would like to upgrade my current router (wireless G) to a wireless N model. My desk is small, so I want to keep it as uncluttered and wire free as possible. The less devices the better.

Thoughts?

23. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

and kill wifi capabilities in the process

24. Tilley macrumors newbie

25. animatedude macrumors 65816