Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
We're definitely overdue for at least a price drop. With the cost of 2TB hard drives in the $100-$130 range, $499 for the 2TB Time Capsule is outrageously over-priced.

C'mon Apple. It's time to lower the price!

Bryan

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
They can do a few things. They can make it so it can backup your iTunes library and have it running at all times so your devices can have acces to it. They can also use it for cloud computing. They can also make it so you can install printer drives on it ect ect.

Tilley

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2010
We're definitely overdue for at least a price drop. With the cost of 2TB hard drives in the $100-$130 range, $499 for the 2TB Time Capsule is outrageously over-priced.

C'mon Apple. It's time to lower the price!

Bryan

I think it's starting....I noticed price drops (sales) to about the $455 to $468 range at some on-line retailers. So it's either Apple adjusting to reality, or maybe there's something more to it (like a refresh?).;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
They can make it so it can backup your iTunes library and have it running at all times so your devices can have acces to it.
My guess is that this is less likely with the :apple:TV refresh focused on streaming and AirPlay coming to all iOS devices. (I'd still buy something like that).

B

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Heya

Took the plunge and the result is AMAZING.

For those who are on the sidelines i would say just buy it.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Hi,

Can one do Wireless back-ups like with Time Machine/Time Capsule with this recommendation?

Bazzy!

Yes you can. Just make sure to purchase a NAS that supports Time Machine backups. It will say so in the product specifications.

There is a bit of a hack to get unsupported NAS drives to work with Time Machine, but I wouldn't recommend it as it may prove unreliable.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
I would really like to use it for my iTunes Library and Aperture Library.

I know that speed will not be the best for Aperture, but the convenience of having my images online all the time without having to plug in my external drive to my MBP is very alluring.

BUT, how about iTunes. Won't that slow the streaming down immensly?
I mean, If I have to use my MBP with iTunes to play music, it will stream wirelessly from TC to iTunes and then back again to Airport Express.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
built in modem.PLEASE.

This for sure. Now way I'd buy an Apple Airport/TC unless they put in a modem, separate routers/modems went out 10 years ago didn't they?! They may have to do a couple of models (ADSL, cable...) but they do that with the iPhone/iPad networks now.

Plus, why does only the express have an audio jack? I guess this will become less important what airplay speakers (and speaker adapters) become more common.

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
BUT, how about iTunes. Won't that slow the streaming down immensly?
I mean, If I have to use my MBP with iTunes to play music, it will stream wirelessly from TC to iTunes and then back again to Airport Express.
I do both. Aperture works great. The library itself is hosted locally but the originals/masters are stored on a disk that is shared by the AEBSn. If you turn on Quick Preview Mode, then Aperture's performance is great.

My iTunes setup is similar. It works quite well, I have pretty good WiFi coverage around my house so streaming even HD content works fine. There's the occasional stutter but it's never a massive issue. Music playback is pretty much flawless.

Kaptajn Haddock

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
Denmark
I do both. Aperture works great. The library itself is hosted locally but the originals/masters are stored on a disk that is shared by the AEBSn. If you turn on Quick Preview Mode, then Aperture's performance is great.

About your Aperture setup:
How do you keep the library locally and the masters on the Time Capsule?
Referenced? When you add new photos/videos to Aperture do they automatically generate folders etc? Would like my images organized.

How do I separate my masters from my library file?

Do you use Time Capsules internal drive for Aperture, or an external?

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
About your Aperture setup:
How do you keep the library locally and the masters on the Time Capsule?
Referenced? When you add new photos/videos to Aperture do they automatically generate folders etc? Would like my images organized.
How do I separate my masters from my library file?
Do you use Time Capsules internal drive for Aperture, or an external?
Yeah, they're referenced. Aperture allows you specify import rules so that you can keep your masters organised exactly as you want them.
I have an Drobo attached to an AEBSn.

I'd recommend downloading the free trial of Aperture so that you can get an idea of what it can and can't do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.