Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is said to be testing a sleep tracking app for a future Apple Watch, according to a new report today filed by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

applewatchstainless-1-800x552.jpg
The company has been using the sleep-tracking feature for several months with testers at secret sites around its Cupertino, California, headquarters, according to people familiar with the work. If the functionality is successful in the testing stages, the company plans to add it to the Apple Watch by 2020, according to one of the people.
Rival smartwatches from the likes of Fitbit have long touted sleep-tracking capabilities, but Apple's watchOS has never offered a native sleep tracking feature. Initially, this was for good reason: battery life on the first Apple Watch rarely lasted beyond the advertised 18 hours, meaning the device had to be perched on a charging dock as you slept.

However, since the release of the Series 3 and 4 models, many owners find their smartwatches can last two full days or more on a single charge, which has led third-party developers to step in with sleep-tracking apps.

Future Apple Watch models could well have improved battery life, enabling users to wear them for longer and track time in bed. Alternatively, Gurman speculates that overnight sleep-tracking could even feature as part of a special new low-power mode.

Apple's iOS Health app already includes a tab for sleep analysis data, which is pulled from either the alarm clock function in the iPhone's Clock app or a third-party sleep-tracking app.

Apple has dipped its toes in sleep-tracking before. The company acquired Finnish startup Beddit, which makes a sleep-tracking sensor strip. Apple sells the product on its website under the Beddit brand and recently launched an updated version.

Article Link: Apple to Add Sleep-Tracking Features to Apple Watch by 2020

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah256

vaxes

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Really what is the point?
I really would not want to wear my watch while I slept any way.
And unless they are planning on either improving the battery life or shortening the charge time considerably.
The watch would be dead by mid morning.

-AE

Focusx0131

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Is it just me or can anyone else not see where the Sleep Cycle app/complication is in that screen shot?

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Awesome! I've been holding off on getting an Apple Watch. Sleep tracking along with enough battery power to do it are the exact features I've been waiting for.

Yep. Me too. Having a watch that you need to charge every day would mean I would have a watch that was flat most of the time. Sleep tracking is really good and apple need to be able to support that.

Reactions: smirking

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is this as innovative as say, foldable phones in 2019?

I see the word innovative is being taken out of context again, but no, this doesn’t have to be ‘innovative’, it can be a tool to help measure the quality of sleep somebody is achieving or not. To me, one of the most important aspects of someones daily functions, is sleep, and if sleep monitoring could help somebody understand their intervals and quality of their sleep, I think this could be a really beneficial tool for those wanting to keep track to see any inconsistencies.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I'd be interested in sleep tracking but I don't feel like wearing my watch at night. I tried once and I eventually took it off. I guess some sort of device placed under the mattress would be better, I know there are already similar products.
And even if is comfortable to wear the watch while sleeping you'll eventually have to charge it, I guess you can do it while having breakfast but I think the majority of people charge their appliances during the night

Reactions: decypher44

sharleyP

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2017
Because when you wake up you have no idea if you had a good night sleep.

Oh, I love that argument.

The idea here is not to tell you if you slept well or not - as you stated, you can tell it by yourself. Sleep tracking can help to tell why did someone sleep bad. For example I learned why I feel better when I go to bed at 10PM and sleep for 6-7 hours than when I go to bed at midnight and sleep for 8-10 hours. Turned out most of my deep sleep happens between 10PM and 1AM.

Last edited:

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Oh, I love that argument.

The idea here is not to tell you if you slept well or not - as you stated, you can tell it by yourself. Sleep tracking can help to tell why do someone slept bad. For example I learned why I feel better when I go to bed at 10PM and sleep for 6-7 hours than when I go to bed at midnight and sleep for 8-10 hours. Turned out most of my deep sleep happens between 10PM and 1AM.
That’s just common sense that requires no apps or trackers. Simply deduced.
[doublepost=1551184146][/doublepost]
I'm awake now.
I’m not convinced. Check the watch just to be sure.

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
I'd be interested in sleep tracking but I don't feel like wearing my watch at night. I tried once and I eventually took it off. I guess some sort of device placed under the mattress would be better, I know there are already similar products.
And even if is comfortable to wear the watch while sleeping you'll eventually have to charge it, I guess you can do it while having breakfast but I think the majority of people charge their appliances during the night

Maybe AirPower was delayed because they built a huge one where the owner can also be placed onto...

Seriously, I used one of the first sleep tracker apps and it actually helped improving my sleep quality. Still I stopped using it because I can‘t stand wearing a watch at night. My wife inherited the idea though and has no problems wearing her watch at night and putting it on the charger in the morning works fine (we have distributed our collected watch chargers at home, so there‘s alway a time and place)

So yes, an additional non-wearable sensor might make sense here. Even if it doesn‘t actively help to re-charge me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sasparilla
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.