Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Allegedly Rekindle 'MagSafe' Brand for Magnetic iPhone Case and Wireless Charging Accessories

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Chinese Weibo account going by the name "Kang" this morning posted allegedly accurate information for every product set to be announced at the upcoming Apple event on October 13, including details and launch dates for the full iPhone 12 lineup, and the rumored HomePod mini.

In addition, the original post also claims that Apple will announce a new magnetic iPhone case with "MagSafe" and two official Apple wireless chargers called "MagSafe Charger" and "MagSafe Duo Charger," one or both of which will have a 15-Watt power output.

The "MagSafe" brand name will resonate with readers who remember Apple's magnetically attached MagSafe power connector, which first appeared on MacBook Pro models in 2006 but despite its popularity was eventually discontinued across all Apple product lines between 2016 and 2019 and replaced with USB-C.

Back in August, images shared on Weibo that were said to be from the iPhone 12 depict a circular array of magnets in the body of the device. The leak was met with speculation that the magnets could be for alignment purposes should Apple release its own wireless charger.

EverythingApplePro, who shared the images on Twitter, also posted an image of an alleged iPhone 12 case with a similar array of magnets built in, which he suggested are "likely for perfect alignment with Apple's wireless chargers."

For months ahead of their unveiling, last year's iPhone 11 series was rumored to feature a Qi-based device-to-device charging feature, allowing for an Apple Watch, AirPods, and other accessories to charge on the back of the iPhones. The feature was expected to be similar to Wireless PowerShare on Samsung's Galaxy S10. According to Ming-Chi Kuo, however, the feature was abandoned because the charging efficiency did not meet Apple's requirements.

As it stands, Apple hasn't released any native wireless chargers for iPhone. The company canceled its much-anticipated AirPower charging mat last year due to quality concerns. Rumors persist that it continues to work on an AirPower-like charging mat, although faked images have been shared in support of this.

MagSafe power connector on MacBook Pro

Today's comprehensive leak appeared in Chinese and an image of the original post on Weibo has been tweeted by leaker Ice Universe, who has provided accurate information on unreleased Apple products in the past.

Article Link: Apple to Allegedly Rekindle 'MagSafe' Brand for Magnetic iPhone Case and Wireless Charging Accessories

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I don't think it can charge Apple Watch. This is the challenge that killed AirPower since the Watch has its own charging method.
the multiple coils killed the airpower...bec of the overheat
Again, i hope it can charge 2 iphones at the same time
Since this it will be magnetically with a lot less coils, im pretty sure the apple watch can be charged on this too

Reactions: jpn

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
I don't think it can charge Apple Watch. This is the challenge that killed AirPower since the Watch has its own charging method.

A big question is whether it’s because of software limitations or whether different hardware is really required.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
A big question is whether it’s because of software limitations or whether different hardware is really required.

Looks like the hardware. The Watch needs a "cup" like charger to charge it. So far these pics just seem like it'll be a flat mat.

Reactions: fokmik

Chuzwuzzin

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
UK
"The original MagSafe power connector"

Sorry to be a pedant, but younger readers should know that the picture shows Magsafe 2, not the "original"

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Why do we need the case? I suppose it is for charging "on the go" and the magnets will help it stay in place when moving around in the backpack?

iPhone 13 without lightning confirmed

MiniApple

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2020
Unless the devices are port less I see no big benefit personally to wireless charging. one further reason to wait for the 13 phones in 2021.
But at least they apparently found solutions to prevent the overheating issues.

headlessmike

macrumors member
May 16, 2017
Sorry for being even more pedantic, but that is actually MagSafe 1 with the L-shaped connector introduced after the original straight design. MagSafe 2 was thinner and came only in the straight design.

Sorry to be a pedant, but younger readers should know that the picture shows Magsafe 2, not the "original"

edwrap

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I've always wondered if the efficiency issue is why Apple hasn't released any of their own wireless chargers. IIRC, you need something like 40-50% more electricity to charge a device wirelessly versus wired. This doesn't make much difference on a micro-level with individuals and small smartphone batteries, but on a macro-level with Apple (and Android) and hundreds of millions of devices, that adds up quickly.

Reactions: philrock

Moemen Eryani

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2020

If you look closely, that picture shows the original MagSafe. None of the laptops that launched with MagSafe 2 also launched with a Ethernet cable. You can see the Ethernet port in the picture.

Reactions: minifridge1138

Delta-NC

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
Scotland, European Union
Sorry for being even more pedantic, but that is actually MagSafe 1 with the L-shaped connector introduced after the original straight design. MagSafe 2 was thinner and came only in the straight design.

You are not correct, I’ve only had MagSafe 2 MacBooks but have had both side and straight cable out model chargers. I can’t say if this was ever the case for MagSafe 1. I guess it’s been a long time man! Easy to get these things mixed up! 😄

EDIT: Just did a search on this and it seem I may be wrong, but I don’t ever remember my two MacBooks having different connectors on device but they had different angles on the chargers, one was a MacBook Air 2011 and the other a Pro 2014. Did the Air in 2011 really have MagSafe 1!? 🤔

EDIT: “MagSafe 2 was introduced on the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display at the 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference on July 11, 2012. It was made thinner to fit the thinner laptops, and also wider to preserve magnetic grip force;”

I was wrong, gonna use my “6 weeks ago I had part of ma brain cut out” defence line while I still can 😂 My apologies Headlessmike 😊

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
AW is using Qi just like everything else, they mutilated it and closed the spec on purpose
It's rumored that Apple forked standard Qi to make it proprietary (mistake imo). Plenty of videos show the AW responding to a standard Qi charger for about 2-5 seconds before turning off.

the multiple coils killed the airpower...bec of the overheat
Again, i hope it can charge 2 iphones at the same time
Since this it will be magnetically with a lot less coils, im pretty sure the apple watch can be charged on this too
Multiple coils wasn't the rumored killer. Signal interference causing overheating was the rumored culprit. Signal interference caused by the AW charging coils and the standard Qi coils not playing nice together. Multiple coils was a solved issue. Even small OEM's have multi-overlapping coil designs. To date, no company has been able to integrate standard Qi coils and AW proprietary charging in the same surface. Now, this is all rumor, so grain of salt and all.

Sorry for being even more pedantic; that is actually MagSafe 1 with the L-shaped connector introduced after the original straight design. MagSafe 2 was thinner and came only in the straight design.

This brings back memories. I still have my 2006~2008 MagSafe unit(s). One looks as good as new and is the first Intel-based MacBook that Apple made. I wish I had kept my very first Apple IIc. Now back to my cave drawings.

Last edited:

-DMN-

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2019
Boy, that Apple tax sounds HEAVY with this one hopefully not to much!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
The "MagSafe" brand name will resonate with readers who remember Apple's magnetically attached MagSafe power connector …

If by 'resonate', you mean dismay users who still think MagSafe was one of the best things Apple ever did… sure. In an age of malicious data cables and juice jacking, it only makes more sense to include a dedicated power cable (without data) for MacBooks.

Anyway, carry on chatting about wireless charging for iPhones, and I'll go sulk in the corner with the other oldies who still 'remember' 2016.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.