Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Allegedly Rekindle 'MagSafe' Brand for Magnetic iPhone Case and Wireless Charging Accessories

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
Apple to Allegedly Rekindle 'MagSafe' Brand for Magnetic iPhone Case and Wireless Charging Accessories
I like this use of “rekindle”. Like, Apple’s going to seduce MagSafe by reminiscing about all the good times they had together, MagSafe is going to say they aren’t right for each other, then eventually, they’re going to give in and get back together.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
I'm very surprised they didn't come up with a MagSafe USB-C
Then it wouldn’t be USB-C. The letter applies to the connector (USB-A, etc). The number referres to the speed (USB-2, USB-3). And thunderbolt (speed) can work over USB-C, as well as video.
So any MagSafe iPhone would be USB-3 or 4 or thunderbolt over a proprietary Apple connector.
Remember, Apple never licensed the mag-safe MacBook connector. That meant you could only get them from Apple and their permanently connected cable on the adapter side often failed. It was suboptimal.

techfirth

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2016
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
WHAT IF - hear me out - this means one or more of the upcoming iPhone 12 models doesn’t include native wireless charging (the mini), and Apple are bolting it on using a case with a built in coil?

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Then it wouldn’t be USB-C. The letter applies to the connector (USB-A, etc). The number referres to the speed (USB-2, USB-3). And thunderbolt (speed) can work over USB-C, as well as video.
So any MagSafe iPhone would be USB-3 or 4 or thunderbolt over a proprietary Apple connector.
Remember, Apple never licensed the mag-safe MacBook connector. That meant you could only get them from Apple and their permanently connected cable on the adapter side often failed. It was suboptimal.

It can be both! They just got lazy in engineering the case! Recess the USB-C connection so a USB-C to MagSafe adapter can fit flush to the case. As its a plug you could move it to the either side. You only need to alter the back left or right port. Third parties figured it out but it sticks out.

I even made a dummy setup (3D printed) and shipped it to them! Never got a reply. Only used 6mm of space, if you look you can see there's room inside for it.

James Godfrey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
So MagSafe duo may charge Apple Watch if it has the dip on one side, the dip side charges AirPods/AW and the flat side charges iPhone possibly...

Still think they should have stuck with AirPower and AirPower Duo, MagSafe just sounds very dated IMO

insomniac86

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia

You know you can get 3rd party magnetic usb USB C cables yeah?

The cables still has a USB-C connector on each end.

Reactions: heffsf

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
... maybe just me, but aligning my phone with a Qi charging pad hasn't been a problem I've needed solved?

or is this supposed to be for something else?

As for magsafe on laptops, I get why folks like it - though personally I find USBC a lot more convenient. I get much more utility from single-cable docking, ability to have USBC / USBA multiport sources in different spots in the house, ability to use a USBC-PD powerbank on the road, ability to use the same power source for my personal laptop as my work laptop (Lenovo), etc. The big advantages of magsafe that I saw in the many years I used it just aren't a thing for me - don't need to see a charging LED and even before COVID I was never plugging in at a location that risked someone tripping over the cord.

Last edited:
Reactions: compwiz1202

jmgregory1

macrumors 68020
I like the idea of the iPhone automatically centering itself on the Qi charger, but I really hope that Apple either develops their own upright stand version of a charger, or opens up the tech so that 3rd party charger companies start making stand versions. I HATE flat puck-style chargers, especially for bedside use, as I like to be able to glance at my phone next to me and see the time or any notifications I’ve gotten, without having to pick up my iPhone. I really don’t understand how the flat chargers can be as popular as they are. They’re just not as convenient to use, even as a desk accessory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.