Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it will report its earnings results for the third fiscal quarter (second calendar quarter) of 2022 on Thursday, July 28.

Apple-Logo-Cash-Feature-Yellow.jpg

The earnings report and subsequent call will provide insight into product performance in the period between March and June. Apple in April introduced the Mac Studio, Studio Display, iPad Air, and iPhone SE 3, and in June, followed it up with the 13-inch M2 MacBook Pro.

Apple has not issued guidance for the last two years due to uncertainty caused by the ongoing global health crisis and component shortages, but the company is expecting to take a revenue hit because of product supply issues. Macs, iPads, and other products have been hit by long wait times that have impacted sales.

In the year-ago quarter, Apple reported $21.7 billion in profit on $81.4 billion revenue, which was a June quarter record.

Apple's quarterly earnings statement will be released at 1:30 p.m. Pacific/4:30 p.m. Eastern, with a conference call to discuss the report taking place at 2:00 p.m. Pacific/5:00 p.m. Eastern. MacRumors will provide coverage of both the earnings release and conference call.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q3 2022 Earnings on July 28

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
ex·tort
/ikˈstôrt/
verb
obtain (something) by force, threats, or other unfair means.

Care to explain how Apple extorts anyone?
Apple obtains something (money) through maintaining unfair (zero) App Store competition

EDIT.... You guys and gals can thumbs down the post all you like; I'm just stating the findings of a U.S. federal judge.

Last edited:

nikaru

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2009
ex·tort
/ikˈstôrt/
verb
obtain (something) by force, threats, or other unfair means.

Care to explain how Apple extorts anyone?
Well, if you have been for long time within Apple ecosystem, it very cumbersome to switch to Android. People have bought apps, music, games which are non-transferable across platforms, so by increasing prices of most popular products like the iPhone (do we remember the good old days when the latest and greatest iPhone started at just 699$?) and now with the price increase for the baseline Macbook Air, it relatively easy to argue that Apple try to extort its existing customers.

Last edited:

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Apple obtains something (money) through maintaining unfair (zero) App Store competition

They built a good product that people like. Not by buying out other companies who were dominating the market. By being objectively better.

Part of that experience includes having one app store. Don't like it? Funnily enough, there's a huge competitor OS that actually dominates the majority of the entire planet's smartphone market. It allows different app stores on it (most of them suck, btw). Use that one.

Apple has no obligation to loosen security on the OS it made that people like because grumps want more.

No one forces anyone to use iPhones. It's not like they're the only OS on the market. They're literally not even the largest OS on the market.

EDIT: Btw all this from an Android fanboi who prefers Android to iOS but macOS to Windows. I'm not a blind Apple loyalist. I make decisions based on what I like. And I know lots of people find iOS to be way better for them, which is great for them. I think I'm speaking on this issue in a fairly unbiased way.

Last edited:

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Well, if you have been for long time within Apple ecosystem, it very cumbersome to switch to Android. People have bought apps, music, games which are non-transferable across platforms, so by increasing prices of most popular products like the iPhone (do we remember the good old days when the latest and greatest iPhone started at just 699$?) and now with the price increase for the baseline Macbook Air, it relatively easy to argue that Apple try to extort its existing customers. After spending ten of thousands of dollars during the last decades on Apple products, there is no ingle 50$ gift card for folks like me curtsey of Apple, while they are recording record-breaking profits each FY.

Sounds like a great time to break out of Apple's prison and muster up some agency over your happiness.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Well, if you have been for long time within Apple ecosystem, it very cumbersome to switch to Android. People have bought apps, music, games which are non-transferable across platforms, so by increasing prices of most popular products like the iPhone (do we remember the good old days when the latest and greatest iPhone started at just 699$?) and now with the price increase for the baseline Macbook Air, it relatively easy to argue that Apple try to extort its existing customers. After spending ten of thousands of dollars during the last decades on Apple products, there is no ingle 50$ gift card for folks like me curtsey of Apple, while they are recording record-breaking profits each FY.
The same is true of Android. And Windows Phone if you're still on that.

Switching to a different software system will always involve some level of difficulty. It's not their job to make their OS compatible with other (in their view) inferior OSes.

If you willingly choose to spend tons of money buying OS-specific apps, it's no one's fault beyond your own when you for some reason change your mind and go invest in a different platform. It's not Ford's fault that their car parts don't work on a Tesla. Don't like it? Either make a better initial decision, or don't spend tons and tons of money buying tons of parts and upgrades for your Ford only to get a Tesla a few years later.

Prices have been going up but that isn't unique to Apple. It's also why consumers need to stop being so materialist and buy used devices which are honestly just as good these days given how slowly tech innovation is happening right now.

If you're an average consumer (and not a professional who's spending $3000+ per computer), you've only spent "tens of thousands of dollars" if you've either broken a lot of your devices, upgraded more often than you needed to. I've spent no more than $5000 in the past decade buying a combination of Apple laptops ($2000 of that being a more recent Mac purchase) and Android phones and I've saved tons by buying used products that work great. And I've invested in services that are cross platform. These are all personal choices any free person can make. At some point, you have to take some responsibility for your own actions.

Reactions: gund1234 and SFjohn

mrdoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2018
San Francisco
Title says Apple to Announce Q3 2022 Earnings on July 28

But I’m assuming this is a mistake and they are actually announcing Q2 results. Not sure Apple has that kind of Time Machine yet.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
They built a good product that people like. Not by buying out other companies who were dominating the market. By being objectively better.

Part of that experience includes having one app store. Don't like it? Funnily enough, there's a huge competitor OS that actually dominates the majority of the entire planet's smartphone market. It allows different app stores on it (most of them suck, btw). Use that one.

Apple has no obligation to loosen security on the OS it made that people like because grumps want more.

Unless Apple is told to do so by governments which is what we're seeing slowly happen.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Unless Apple is told to do so by governments which is what we're seeing slowly happen.
I'm talking normatively. Obviously yeah some governments are trying to force them to have new obligations. I'm saying ethically/normatively, they don't (and therefore shouldn't be made to).

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Title says Apple to Announce Q3 2022 Earnings on July 28

But I’m assuming this is a mistake and they are actually announcing Q2 results. Not sure Apple has that kind of Time Machine yet.
It's literally stated on Apple's website that it's for Q3 2022 earnings.

Investor Updates
FY 22 Third Quarter Results

Apple’s conference call to discuss third fiscal quarter results is scheduled for Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. PT / 5:00 p.m. ET.

Apple's Fiscal Year ≠ Calendar Year which is what you're thinking of.

Reactions: mrdoodle

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Let's see, I helped out with the Studio Display, green iPhone 13 mini, accessories, and services for this quarter.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I predict Apple will report that they made money hand-over-fist.

Like always.

Their product lineup is currently the best it's been in 10 years, and I an HAPPY to contribute to their (GIGANTIC) coffers.

I truly feel I've gotten my money's worth for every single Apple product I've purchased recently (in fact, every Apple product I've ever purchased), and once the new iPad Pros come out they'll get even more from me (if they're improvements, that is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.