Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its investor relations page to announce that it will share its earnings results for the fourth fiscal quarter (third calendar quarter) of 2021 on Thursday, October 28.

apple-earnings-october-28.jpg

The fourth quarter earnings call will provide some insight into the early sales of the new iPhone 13 models and the new iPad options, giving us our first hints into how 2021 sales compared with 2020 sales.

Apple again declined to provide guidance for the fourth quarter of 2021 during its third quarter earnings call due to the ongoing global health crisis, which is continuing to cause uncertainty for product launch timelines and sales.

Apple in the third quarter brought in $81.4 billion in revenue, marking a new June quarter record thanks to strong sales of the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

The quarterly earnings statement will be released at 1:30 PM Pacific/4:30 PM Eastern, with a conference call to discuss the report taking place at 2:00 PM Pacific/5:00 PM Eastern. MacRumors will provide coverage of both the earnings release and conference call on October 29.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Q4 2021 Earnings on October 28

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I don't even know what this means. If the customers are happy, aren't the shareholders happy in the end?
Depends.
If the things that make customers happy bring more money for Apple and increasing shareholders' values, then yes. But if not, then it won't. Example, Apple only gives free iCloud at 5GB. Apple could've increased that and made customers happy, but that won't make shareholders happy (increase cost in server storage, no revenue).

ian87w

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Maybe Apple will provide an update on their new CSAM feature rollout plans.
They didn't say anything during WWDC, and that's an event for developers. I doubt they would say anything in this meeting. The focus probably will be on the effect of chip shortages and the pandemic.

I bet Apple being Apple, they would just wait for a bit until the news faded out a bit and then just update iOS15 with it. By then, most people would already upgrade to iOS15. The stone is set, and Apple would just say "well, your phones already have it, and no complaints right? So there you go."

frownface

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2020
I don't even know what this means. If the customers are happy, aren't the shareholders happy in the end?

No, not necessarily at all.

What's good good for the customer may not be what's good for the share holder; and vice versa.

Giving away a free pair of airpods with every iphone purchase is great for the customer; not so good for the share holder.

Upping prices by 5% is good for the share holder, not so good for the customer.

A lot of people who argue to justify the things that apple does; often are wearing their shareholder tinted glasses.

Reactions: Oblivious.Robot

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So, does anybody want to preface this by claiming how Apple is doomed because this has been another lacklustre year?

You have one whole month...;)

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Wow, so many people confused about how business works.

Company sells products that customers want, customers buy products, company does well, shareholders benefit. There is no legal requirement that for-profit companies maximize returns to shareholders. That is a myth

Simply put if Apple does not sell products that customers want at a price customers are willing to pay then revenues will decrease. Neither Apple nor its customers are in the charity business.

Unfortunately in the bubble that MacRumours exists in Apple can do no right. Good thing that has not been reflected in customers willingness to buy Apple products. Now that might change but so far predictions of Apple's imminent doom have proven incorrect. I am an Apple customer and shareholder, not always happy as either but still.

Last edited:

ghanwani

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2008
On behalf of Tim Cook, I'd like to say that Apple is very pleased with their product pipeline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.