Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
It's business 101. The primary goal of a publicly traded company is to increase values of its shareholders. It's the basic definition of a company. Even a business 101 major know this. Anything outside of this is marketing.

So what? This is an incredibly typical retort on this website. People are quick to say they're just a soulless company with no obligations but to profits as if that somehow speaks positively of apple. Truly a shame so many are willing to roll over and end the story here :rolleyes:

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
Exactly. Delight your customers, profits will follow.

Or penny pinch in every conceivable way while ringing your customers dry with incremental upgrades planned years in advance because they're locked into the ecosystem with basically nowhere else to go without majorly upending their digital lives

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
So what? This is an incredibly typical retort on this website. People are quick to say they're just a soulless company with no obligations but to profits as if that somehow speaks positively of apple. Truly a shame so many are willing to roll over and end the story here :rolleyes:
LOL. Because it is true. :D You can continue to pretend to be naive about it and complain, or accept the reality of capitalism and make better buying decisions yourself as a consumer.

toobravetosave

Suspended
Sep 23, 2021
LOL. Because it is true. :D You can continue to pretend to be naive about it and complain, or accept the reality of capitalism and make better buying decisions yourself as a consumer.

If by better buying decisions you mean not apple then I've already taken some steps there. And it's not naivete it's dissatisfaction with not only the system but apple's choices as well. There are many ways to increase shareholder value and profits and we may find apple's choices were great in the shorter term for their shareholders but not so much over the long term for their customers.

For example, if anti-trust regulations hit them hard and cause dramatic changes to how they can run their business it may result in some significant losses that perhaps different choices could have averted. Maybe price increases helped set another record quarter but decreased customer satisfaction or retention that could have a more long term impact beyond the next quarter.

It's incredibly reductive to assume that whatever makes the most profit *right now* is necessarily the best move even for a public company.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If by better buying decisions you mean not apple then I've already taken some steps there. And it's not naivete it's dissatisfaction with not only the system but apple's choices as well. There are many ways to increase shareholder value and profits and we may find apple's choices were great in the shorter term for their shareholders but not so much over the long term for their customers.

For example, if anti-trust regulations hit them hard and cause dramatic changes to how they can run their business it may result in some significant losses that perhaps different choices could have averted. Maybe price increases helped set another record quarter but decreased customer satisfaction or retention that could have a more long term impact beyond the next quarter.

It's incredibly reductive to assume that whatever makes the most profit *right now* is necessarily the best move even for a public company.
Taking your money elsewhere is the best course of action in a consumer market.

Having said that, Apple's MO is what literally every other businesses out there is wishing for. I mean during 2020 and 2021, we have pandemic. Apple raised prices (iPad Air 4 and iPhone 12), unbundling chargers from iPhones, and yet they have record breaking quarters. Go figure. :D So yeah, making the most profit is the best move for a public company. Note that Apple is not only profit maximizer, they're also master in marketing (eg. justifying removal of chargers as environmental move). So there's smart business play as well, but in the end, the goal is profit. And clearly it works for Apple.

Reactions: anthorumor

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Shareholders > customers
Become both……..

Been buying AAPL for years and years before I owned any other stock. First shares bought wayyyyy before online platforms were a thing and had to get laughed out of local stock merchant offices as a teenager. Guess who is laughing now??

And I’m still buying AAPL as much as I can afford to now. Even at 15x price paid for my first shares. Dividends, Dividends, Dividends and a DRIP!

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013

I hope so. Buy on sale.
Apple will innovate if faced with antitrust by euro centrist sillyness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.