Apple to Close All Retail Stores Outside of China Until March 27th

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that it is closing all of its retail locations outside of Greater China until March 27 due to the continuing spread of the coronavirus, which means Apple Stores worldwide will be shuttered for the next two weeks.

In a letter letting customers know about the store closures, Tim Cook says that China has taught us that the most effective way to minimize the risk of the coronavirus's transmission is to reduce population density and maximize social distance, which is why Apple Stores are closing. Apple had already closed all of its stores in Italy and Spain, but stores in other countries like the United States have remained open until now.
As of today, all of our stores in Greater China have reopened. I also want to thank our operations team and partners for their remarkable efforts to restore our supply chain. What we've learned together has helped us all develop the best practices that are assisting enormously in our global response.

One of those lessons is that the most effective way to minimize risk of the virus's transmission is to reduce density and maximize social distance. As rates of new infections continue to grow in other places, we're taking additional steps to protect our team members and customers.

We will be closing all of our retail stores outside of Greater China until March 27.
Cook says that customers who need to purchase devices or accessories can do so on Apple's website or through the Apple Store app. Customers who need service and support can use Apple's support site.

Apple plans to continue to pay its hourly workers during the store closures and has expanded leave policies to accommodate personal or family health circumstances created by COVID-19, including recovering from an illness, caring for a sick loved one, mandatory quarantining, or childcare challenges.

Article Link: Apple to Close All Retail Stores Outside of China Until March 27th

Last edited:

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
How does this bode for the rumor that there will be new product press releases next week? Not well. Personally, I’ve been looking forward to upgrading my 10.5” iPad pro, but that seems like an announcement that must be shelved for quite some time now, and for good reason.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
How does this bode for the rumor that there will be new product press releases next week? Not well. Personally, I’ve been looking forward to upgrading my 10.5” iPad pro, but that seems like an announcement that must be shelved for quite some time now, and for good reason.
I think it could really go either way, it's a great time to broadcast something like that.

Reactions: Lazy and aristobrat

nicho

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2008
I think it could really go either way, it's a great time to broadcast something like that.
Online-only is also a great way to launch a product when supplies are tight. No need to divert thousands of each SKU to retail stores (or worse, 3rd party retailers!) with no idea of eventual demand and ensuing frustration. Just make and ship, make and ship.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
That would just create frustration though, especially with most likely limited supplies as production in China is still low.
Releasing a product that you can't actually buy at Retail nor try out beforehand seems pretty counter productive.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage and Ghost31

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
I was just checking stock in my local store and noticed that store pick-up wasn't available for any custom Mac options. Still currently indicates I can collect standard configurations but I guess they've only just made the announcement so probably haven't updated the website yet.

Reactions: dannyyankou

fartunicorn

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2018
Chicago
Smart and calculated move. Close stores while a lot of people in many countries do not want to go outside the house. Good for their brands.
TC might wait until house approved the bills (market like this) to soften the blows on Monday.

• Disagree
Reactions: PickUrPoison

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
i truely hope this disaster will lead to the end of wet markets in China where people sell and slaughter wildlife. If not to end animal suffering and pushing species to the brink of extinction, then at least to avoid global catastrophes like this. The economic impact will be dramatic. Not to mention the consequences for Apple‘s stock.

Freeangel1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
I always ordered my Apple computers online or Computer Discount Warehouse CDW back in 1998 around the time that Steve Jobs came back to APPLE

Maybe there would be more profit and sense to close most Apple stores and go strictly online ordering like Amazon?

Costs lots of money in rent each month for Apple and the cost of all those Apple store employees

When I have a problem I call Apple and speak to an APPLE TECH who works from Home anyway.

Bocconucci

Suspended
Dec 20, 2019
Jakarta
It’s totally reasonable to start proactively instead of reacting to the spread. Here in Spain everyone was doing plans for the weekend 2 days ago; yesterday everything shut down and today we’re de facto in lockdown.
Proactive ?
Tim just followed local regulation out of necessity, closed a shop after infection, then was criticised on his WWDC plans not containing the C-phrase - and only now acts as there is no other choice. With his regular dress-up donation (reflected to as “generosity“ in the streets)

Last edited:

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
i was gona return an item this weekend (last day is 3/18).....think they will make an exception after they open? i dont even mind store credit

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I kinda wonder if part of the reason they’re closing everything is because they are kinda curious to see how this impacts sales and whether they could go ahead and move to an all-online model over the coming decade to increase profits even more. Obviously the main reason is the 🦠 but still, you can bet they’ll be using this as a trial. Never let a crisis go to waste!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.