Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Hopefully AppStore comes to previous models as well.

Whats the point of storage...unless they open a app store... Let's hope this is the start of something good. If I could get Plex I would buy one over a Roku. It really saddens me that the Apple TV is the only product I can't recommend. I recommend Roku over Apple tv as of right now.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
i will believe it when i see it..apple tv has so much potential and a lot of people have voiced that here.. i just would like to see what happens when apple opens it up to dev :)

i think that apple doesn't want to focus on it now until it gets a lot of partners on board, has a correct business model for it and the watch has taken off.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
My current Apple TV is working so well I just use it and enjoy it.

Of especially great value to me is that it doesn't have Siri! For my preferences I don't care if it's Siri or Google now, I just don't like voice controls.

Synthetic voices are annoying and distracting when I have friends over which is very frequently. I can quickly and accurately issue commands silently , that's my prefered method.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Ahh yes, but will it have DLNA support ??
That is the question.

Not the one I'm asking. :p

It would be nice if Apple could actually acknowledge there are places other than the USA with the new Apple TV and add more than the few token apps we've currently got. Hopefully adding an app store will be the answer to this question. :)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This could really be awesome. I have been asking for an ATV that allows me to download apps. And of course some of those apps will be games, so the ATV must have a way to interact with it for games. Since Apple always surprises, I have no idea here, but if they made it so the phone/watch interacted with the ATV such that I could play games effectively, I will be replacing my two ATV3 on day 1 of availability!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
My current Apple TV is working so well I just use it and enjoy it.

Of especially great value to me is that it doesn't have Siri! For my preferences I don't care if it's Siri or Google now, I just don't like voice controls.

Synthetic voices are annoying and distracting when I have friends over which is very frequently. I can quickly and accurately issue commands silently , that's my prefered method.

I really enjoy using the voice search on my Fire TV with the remote. I see the Apple Watch playing that role (or iPhone as well).

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
It makes sense to time an upgrade with the Apple finally being able to offer a TV package, and Home Automation. This upgrade HAS to happen.

It has Siri, and no doubt will be controlled by Watch if you want. That is Steve Jobs' "easiest interface ever."

Last edited:

ch02ce

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
Makes sense- the A8 is capable of 4k if I remember correctly, and that seems to be all the rage in TV shops these days.

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
Rumor is that you have to own an iPhone and Apple Watch for this to work, as you need to pair the new Apple TV to the Apple Watch which needs to be paired to the iPhone.

Damn you, Apple!

todhug

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2011
Logan, Utah
What Party

Only years late to the party... lol. Maybe it will actually be a box worth buying now.

What party? There isn't anything out on the market that is creating a party. The TV boxes and smart TVs are a mess and really don't do much but make people think they have something.

Hopefully Apple will cracked the TV problem.

TheAnimal

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
UI Ideas

So my idea for how Apple will transform the TV viewing experience is by completely throwing away the concept of "channels." No longer do you go to HBO to tune into the latest ep of Game of Thrones. You don't have to remember to tune in to ABC to find Shark Tank. You just explore the Apple TV in a Netflix style interface. Looking for sci-fi? Drill down and see what's available. Looks interesting? Tune in and you start watching the SyFy channel. But it doesn't really matter to you what channel you're on, all you care about is the content. Nor does it matter if you're watching live TV or on demand. If it's available to stream, then it just works.

Comments, criticisms, thoughts? Any other ideas?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It makes sense to time an upgrade with the Apple finally being able to offer a TV package, and Home Automation. This upgrade HAS to happen.

Agreed. I think the delay has been primarily due to the desire to release this new box with their TV streaming service.

It'll also be the hub of HomeKit devices so perhaps they were waiting on that end as well?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.