Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is donating 1,000 Apple Watches to a new study that aims to track biological changes in people with eating disorders (via CNBC).

The University of North Carolina's medical school will conduct the study, which is called BEGIN (or the Binge Eating Genetics Initiative), to better understand overeating disorders in which people eat large amounts of food uncontrollably in a small period of time.

recovery-record-800x533.jpeg

People who purge or engage in excessive bouts of exercise following the binge are usually diagnosed with bulimia nervosa. The study will enroll 1,000 participants of ages 18 or older who have experience with either binge eating disorder or bulimia nervosa.

Each participant will be given a free Apple Watch, courtesy of Apple, so that researchers can monitor their heart rate to see if there are any spikes prior to binge eating episodes.

Enrolled participants will also sign up with a mobile app called Recovery Record, which they can use to log their thoughts and feelings, to be shared with a healthcare professional ahead of a session.

In addition, participants will receive tests to analyze their genetics and bodily bacteria that the researchers can better understand the root causes of the disease.
"We need to collect data from a whole lot of people to see what it looks like," said Cynthia Bulik, founding director of the Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders and author of Binge Control: A Compact Recovery Guide. "We want to know if it has a biological and behavioral signature."
Ultimately, researchers hope the collected data might help them to predict binge eating episodes before they happen. Ideally, this could result in a follow-up study in which participants received some kind of alert when they were at risk of binge eating.

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, at least 30 million people in the United States suffer from an eating disorder, yet the field of research remains underfunded.

Article Link: Apple to Donate 1,000 Apple Watches to Eating Disorder Study

pete2106

Suspended
Dec 7, 2012
Interesting. I still think the health features are one of the biggest, coolest, most important things an Apple Watch (or any smartwatch) can provide right now.

It's all the watch has to offer. All it's other functions are already done by your phone.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You can see clearly how evident Apple is focusing on the health aspects moving forward with the Apple Watch, and serious as an issue this really is for those who may struggle with eating disorders, I think this data could be valuable to have a Better understanding of this disorder.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Barron and bb9

radiology

Suspended
Feb 11, 2014
Westlake, OH
“People who purge or engage in excessive bouts of exercise following the binge”

A lot of guys that go to my gym fit into that description, at least the “excessive exercising exercise” part...

max.ine

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
It's all the watch has to offer. All it's other functions are already done by your phone.
I have epilepsy with seizures at rare but seemingly random times, so the health features make it a tempting enough feature for me. Anything else is a bonus.

It’ll probably be a year or two before I actually pull the trigger, though.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You can see clearly how evident Apple is focusing on the health aspects moving forward with the Apple Watch, and serious as an issue this really is for those who may struggle with eating disorders, I think this data could be valuable to have a Better understanding of the disorder.

Jeez is that you in your profile picture? Wow.

I wonder what made Apple choose this specific disorder. Pretty cool though.

mgauss7

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Miami

Apple is donating 1,000 Apple Watches to a new study that aims to track biological changes in people with eating disorders (via CNBC).

The University of North Carolina's medical school will conduct the study, which is called BEGIN (or the Binge Eating Genetics Initiative), to better understand overeating disorders in which people eat large amounts of food uncontrollably in a small period of time.

recovery-record-800x533.jpeg

People who purge or engage in excessive bouts of exercise following the binge are usually diagnosed with bulimia nervosa. The study will enroll 1,000 participants of ages 18 or older who have experience with either binge eating disorder or bulimia nervosa.

Each participant will be given a free Apple Watch, courtesy of Apple, so that researchers can monitor their heart rate to see if there are any spikes prior to binge eating episodes.

Enrolled participants will also sign up with a mobile app called Recovery Record, which they can use to log their thoughts and feelings, to be shared with a healthcare professional ahead of a session.

In addition, participants will receive tests to analyze their genetics and bodily bacteria that the researchers can better understand the root causes of the disease.
Ultimately, researchers hope the collected data might help them to predict binge eating episodes before they happen. Ideally, this could result in a follow-up study in which participants received some kind of alert when they were at risk of binge eating.

According to the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, at least 30 million people in the United States suffer from an eating disorder, yet the field of research remains underfunded.

Article Link: Apple to Donate 1,000 Apple Watches to Eating Disorder Study
I need another Apple Watch to control my obsessive purchasing in a short time of Apple products.
[doublepost=1539604215][/doublepost]Brilliant so for a $200,000 gift Apple gets 200 million worth of PR.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Donating... Means that the participants or the organizer can keep the watch after the research?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal

A lot of guys that go to my gym fit into that description, at least the “excessive exercising exercise” part...
Yes, EDs are under diagnosed in men for several reasons, including the fact that their symptoms often fit more easily into societal norms. A man who is seen as obsessed with keeping fit or building muscle at the gym isn’t suspected of having an eating disorder.

MrJeffreyGee

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I wonder if Apple is doing analysis on sound... The sound of someone barfing is very unique. In the future, your watch can ask if you're okay and need help.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Let me guess... Donating a 1,000 treadmills would be offensive to overweight people??

:rolleyes:

Although you don't get a free Watch, you can embark on your own little study to better understand eating disorders...by reading the article you're responding to...

People who purge or engage in excessive bouts of exercise following the binge are usually diagnosed with bulimia nervosa.

Escher2112

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
"...to better understand overeating disorders in which people eat large amounts of food uncontrollably in a small period of time."

Clearly Apple has never been to a Chinese Buffet... 'cuz its game on. Bring the big boy pants.

Reactions: MrGimper

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
What about an iPhone XS Max? Record a video of them eating, take photos of the food they consume, set a timer when they start eating and when they, take notes about what they eat and how they feel, use a calorie app to record the foods they eat and calculate calories and nutrition, communicate with the researchers, etc.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
[doublepost=1539609407][/doublepost]

I feel like you don’t have a watch. Is your phone in your hand 24/7?
[doublepost=1539609693][/doublepost]

I could never work out on a full stomach. I’d end up hurling...maybe that’s why they do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Valtari

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2015
It’s probably just leftover Series 1 watches to spend as little as they can, while still seeming generous and virtous on the outside ;P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.