Apple to Donate $1 Million Towards Southern California Wildfire Recovery Efforts

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that it will be donating $1 million to aid recovery and rebuilding efforts in Southern California following a series of devastating forest fires that have caused billions of dollars in damage.

[​IMG]

"Our thoughts are with all those affected by the fires in Southern California, including our colleagues, friends and their families," an Apple spokesperson said, in a statement provided to KTLA reporter Rich DeMuro.
    Apple also usually facilitates Red Cross donations from the public through iTunes in these situations, but it has yet to do so.

Article Link: Apple to Donate $1 Million Towards Southern California Wildfire Recovery Efforts

2. joueboy macrumors 65816

California is really messed when it comes to this kind if tragedy. What I don’t understand is that the entire state has the most active regulations when it comes to climate change, even back in the day when global warming was a thing. They always get to have an environmental friendly stuff from lawn mowers to cars and buildings. Despite all the regulations you always hear California drought, floods and wildfires every single year. Is it the state is just being unlucky when it comes to natural disasters?

3. DeepIn2U macrumors 601

DeepIn2U

Good move on Apple here. The other article by Apple moving to block shareholders voting on such environmental matters is odd, but it’s in good faith and this is one way to show for that.

After so many years of wildfires in California, maybe some sort of infrastructure or pre plan should be looked into for the future droughts and escalated heat that causes such fires.

I feel for those families affected.

4. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

1 million when the company is worth almost 1 trillion?

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

6. Princess Cake macrumors 6502

Princess Cake

Good on them but by comparison that'd be like the average Joe donating a quarter.

7. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

A lot of people who aren’t from California don’t realize a good part of it has an arid climate with lots of dry brush. So much water goes just to AG in the SJV. Ex 90+ in Orange County during thanksgiving. Bakersfield and LA have the worst air pollution in the country despite the regulations you mentioned. Altogether, it’s diverse geography spanning a bay to the west, snowy sierras to the east, mojave desert to the south, and redwoods up north makes it bound for diverse disasters

8. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'm sure you're imparting relevant information. I just have no idea what that info is. AG in the SJV. Ex 90+... :confused:
    Google translate came back with nothing.:p:D

9. thealkimist macrumors regular

thealkimist

What's so difficult to understand? One state cannot change the entire course of the global climate. In addition, California's climate has always been drier and has always faced reoccurring droughts for centuries. The state relies on El Nino for rain and replenishing of its aquifers. The climate change regulations have to do with being environmentally conscious especially when Los Angeles air in the 50's thru the 80's used to be egregiously poisonous.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think he means "agriculture" in the San Joaquin Valley of California. That whole central valley area uses a lot of water growing crops.

11. Dr. Echsel macrumors member

They aren’t required to donate anything.

12. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

They are a company. Not a charity. They still donate for every natural disaster that happens anywhere in the world. Do you want them to donate 10 or 100 million for every natural disaster that happens all over the world?

13. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'm just going to take your word on that.:D Makes sense though. So I can scratch "Attorney General" and "Social Justice V-word" off my list of what the heck does this mean? 90+... temperature mabye?

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Didn't say they were but based on how much they're worth should it be a news story? I can donate $0.10 and that would put me on par with percentage of total money donated with Apple. Where's my news story?

15. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

My bad, ag referring to agriculture and SJV is the San Joaquin Valley or Central Valley along the middle of the state where the main industry is farming. Oh, and 90+ was just the temperature that week

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... weather has been weird. Instead of cool air blowing in off the ocean, we have had warm and dry air pushing from inland to the coast making for unusually high temps there. That is not helping things with the fires either.

17. Kurri macrumors 6502

Its a nice gesture that they would donate 1 million, but I can tell you that will re-build 3 houses in CA. Maybe it is more to provide food / water to areas? My friends parents lost their house, very sad.

18. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

The size of the Thomas fire is pretty crazy. Fifth largest wildfire in CA history and the top four fires are all within the last 15 years too.

19. RoobyRoobyRoo macrumors member

A million dollars may not be a big portion of Apple's total holdings, but it's still a hell of a lot of money. I'm not sure what amount of money Apple should give for you to deem it "newsworthy", but whatever it is, it's probably an unrealistic precedent for Apple to set for themselves. If they donated, say, $50 million to this disaster, then they would be under pressure to donate a similar amount of money every other time they donate to disaster relief (which is often). That isn't very sustainable, and they are under absolutely no obligation to donate even a single penny to any disaster relief. So please stop complaining about Apple giving millions of dollars to disaster relief funds.

20. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Well just in case you didn't notice, the site's called Macrumors, not ross1998rumors.

21. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

How much did you donate?

22. GrumpyMom Suspended

GrumpyMom

It’s wonderful Apple is doing this and it is a fairly significant donation for anyone or any business to make. It is however true and unfortunate that $1 million does not go very far in the affected areas and I can understand people reacting to that fact. It’s truly a drop in the bucket in terms of rebuilding there, but hopefully the money can be used efficiently to do as much good as possible.

23. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Great gesture, and I in no way want to belittle any donation, but that said $1 million is like one house in Santa Barbara.

24. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

My understanding was that there were two suspects that may have been involved. Truthfully, i’ve seen some live instagram videos that showed where it was burned. From what i seen, it appeared to be intentional.

25. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

If they donated a billion, instead of a million, the shareholders who own the company would be up in arms. What number would you suggest that would make you feel they'd done their part, without enraging those who own the company?
    It seems a bit silly to bring up house construction costs in California, since the insurance companies will be on the hook for most/all of that, unless you expect Apple to make a donation to the insurance companies. There are undoubtedly many displaced by the fires who need basic necessities - food/water/clothing/etc.; I expect that's where it'll go.