Apple to Donate $1 Million Towards Southern California Wildfire Recovery Efforts

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 11, 2017.

1. SashJ, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2017

SashJ macrumors regular

Figures their would be a person who says something like this. Just because Apple is a successful company, doesn’t mean they need to solve the worlds problems.

How much have you donated?

0$?

My thoughts exactly.

2. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

They are a business, not a charity. This is the standard rate at which they donate to causes as far as I know.

3. macsba, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017

macsba macrumors 6502

For certain neighborhoods in Santa Barbara $ 1 million is a down payment. The smoke is very bad here since the winds come from the direction of Ventura County. For the geography nuts here, Santa Barbara is really more of a westerly direction instead of north from Los Angeles.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Yep, as a resident in the Southern California High Desert --- we've been in a drought for the last 5 years. A lot of the trees and grass up here have died off - Google street views showed 8 trees where I lived that don't exist anymore because of the extreme drought. Because of this, and the high eat - it's just waiting for a big fire to start. We've been under drought water restrictions for a long time now even though homeowners/renters are some of the states smallest water usage %. I continue to use a car wash bucket in the shower to flush my toilet because of the "drought" and we're not allowed to wash our cars unless the water is recycled, etc...

5. Marx55 macrumors 68000

Wildfires? Worldwide network of infrared satellites to detect wildfires and extinguish them in five minutes after ignition using seaplanes and helicopters. Capturing pyromaniacs on the spot. End of problem. Forever.

6. Murphintosh macrumors member

Murphintosh

But, to the recipients, it's 4 million quarters and that's what really matters. The important thing is the benefit, not the sacrifice.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Genuine question: How much did you Contribute or donate California Wildfire recovery?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Offshore flows are part of the normal climatic pattern in Southern California from early fall through early spring. What is unusual is the length and intensity of these events this year, and the fact that we've seen no rain whatsoever. Generally by this time of year we've had a few inches. A bit of moisture makes a huge difference to how quickly fires can travel.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2017 ---
    Well you saw it on Instagram so that must be right.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 11, 2017 ---
    Southern California apparently has forest fires. All we need now is some forests.

9. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Except the 'average Joe' is not giving away someone else's money, but (presumably) his own.

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

11. tooltalk macrumors 6502

Exactly my thought. I thought Apple donated $1 BILLION; then I realized that I misread.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

These fires have been made much worse by the persistent winds, which carry embers from the fire zones to adjacent areas, including across firebreaks. Even our firebreaks called freeways haven't stopped the advance of the fires.

The Thomas fire (230,000 acres burned) seems bigger than others I remember, but in fact it's only the fourth or fifth-largest fire here in Southern California since the year 2000.

If and when we do get rain here, the fire-devastated mountains will be subject to mudslides, another disaster for communities and many homeowners. Instead of summer, fall, winter, and spring, our seasons are drought, fire, mud, and earthquake.

13. macsba, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017

macsba macrumors 6502

Yeah, the latest I’ve heard is the Thomas fire is now 242,500 acres. It’s now the fourth largest fire in California history. I’m about 10 miles west from the closes point.

Yeah, I agree about the season names you listed.

Update: Now at 249,500 acres. It's just shy of 40,000 acres of being the third largest fire in California history.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is probably the best way to view the current fire situation. Hot spots based on remote sensing.

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/?/34.4879/-119.3371/11

The fire started about three miles from my home and burned to about 200 yards of it last Tuesday. We thought we'd lose it for sure, but it was stopped on that front, mostly by homeowners. Of the many astonishing features of this fire, one is the current active fronts are now separated by nearly 40 miles.

Firebreaks are of little use with winds as strong as what we've been having. Embers remain airborne for long distances and start new spot fires. One started right across the street from my home. An alert neighbor put it out. Hate to think what might have happened had more of us heeded the mandatory evacuation orders.