Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SashJ

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2017
1 million when the company is worth almost 1 trillion?

Figures their would be a person who says something like this. Just because Apple is a successful company, doesn’t mean they need to solve the worlds problems.

How much have you donated?

0$?

My thoughts exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RoobyRoobyRoo

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Great gesture, and I in no way want to belittle any donation, but that said $1 million is like one house in Santa Barbara.
For certain neighborhoods in Santa Barbara $ 1 million is a down payment. The smoke is very bad here since the winds come from the direction of Ventura County. For the geography nuts here, Santa Barbara is really more of a westerly direction instead of north from Los Angeles.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yep, as a resident in the Southern California High Desert --- we've been in a drought for the last 5 years. A lot of the trees and grass up here have died off - Google street views showed 8 trees where I lived that don't exist anymore because of the extreme drought. Because of this, and the high eat - it's just waiting for a big fire to start. We've been under drought water restrictions for a long time now even though homeowners/renters are some of the states smallest water usage %. I continue to use a car wash bucket in the shower to flush my toilet because of the "drought" and we're not allowed to wash our cars unless the water is recycled, etc...

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Wildfires? Worldwide network of infrared satellites to detect wildfires and extinguish them in five minutes after ignition using seaplanes and helicopters. Capturing pyromaniacs on the spot. End of problem. Forever.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yep... weather has been weird. Instead of cool air blowing in off the ocean, we have had warm and dry air pushing from inland to the coast making for unusually high temps there. That is not helping things with the fires either.

Offshore flows are part of the normal climatic pattern in Southern California from early fall through early spring. What is unusual is the length and intensity of these events this year, and the fact that we've seen no rain whatsoever. Generally by this time of year we've had a few inches. A bit of moisture makes a huge difference to how quickly fires can travel.
[doublepost=1513041462][/doublepost]
My understanding was that there were two suspects that may have been involved. Truthfully, i’ve seen some live instagram videos that showed where it was burned. From what i seen, it appeared to be intentional.

Well you saw it on Instagram so that must be right.
[doublepost=1513041602][/doublepost]
Apple has announced that it will be donating $1 million to aid recovery and rebuilding efforts in Southern California following a series of devastating forest fires that have caused billions of dollars in damage.

Southern California apparently has forest fires. All we need now is some forests.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
These fires have been made much worse by the persistent winds, which carry embers from the fire zones to adjacent areas, including across firebreaks. Even our firebreaks called freeways haven't stopped the advance of the fires.

The Thomas fire (230,000 acres burned) seems bigger than others I remember, but in fact it's only the fourth or fifth-largest fire here in Southern California since the year 2000.

If and when we do get rain here, the fire-devastated mountains will be subject to mudslides, another disaster for communities and many homeowners. Instead of summer, fall, winter, and spring, our seasons are drought, fire, mud, and earthquake.

macsba

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2015
Next to my Mac.
Yeah, the latest I’ve heard is the Thomas fire is now 242,500 acres. It’s now the fourth largest fire in California history. I’m about 10 miles west from the closes point.

Yeah, I agree about the season names you listed.

Update: Now at 249,500 acres. It's just shy of 40,000 acres of being the third largest fire in California history.

Last edited:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This is probably the best way to view the current fire situation. Hot spots based on remote sensing.

https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/?/34.4879/-119.3371/11

The fire started about three miles from my home and burned to about 200 yards of it last Tuesday. We thought we'd lose it for sure, but it was stopped on that front, mostly by homeowners. Of the many astonishing features of this fire, one is the current active fronts are now separated by nearly 40 miles.

Firebreaks are of little use with winds as strong as what we've been having. Embers remain airborne for long distances and start new spot fires. One started right across the street from my home. An alert neighbor put it out. Hate to think what might have happened had more of us heeded the mandatory evacuation orders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.