Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Donate Money to Support Fire Relief Efforts in Australia

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is donating funds to support fire fighting efforts in Australia, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced on Twitter yesterday.

For the last two months, bushfires have been burning across Australia due to one of the worst droughts in history and record-breaking heat waves. More than nine people have died and more than 800 homes have been destroyed. Koalas and other wildlife have also been impacted by the ongoing fires.

Firefighters helping a mother koala and her baby in Hawkesbury, New South Wales. Image via NSW RFS.​

More than nine people have died and more than 800 homes have been destroyed. Koalas and other wildlife have also been impacted by the ongoing fires.

Australia has more than 1,500 firefighters working to extinguish fires threatening homes near Sydney. Half of the bushfires in Australia have been contained as of this week, but the country is facing another heat wave and there are severe fire danger ratings in South Australia.

Apple often provides donations during major disasters and most recently donated money to help fight the wildfires in California.

Article Link: Apple to Donate Money to Support Fire Relief Efforts in Australia

Reactions: wbeasley and bb9

MacLawyer

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2009
U.S.A.
I’m glad they are helping out but I wonder if they get any love in the mainstream press when they do it.

Reactions: bb9

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
It’s been horrific, all the suffering and death the wildfires have wrought on humans and pets and wildlife all over the world, especially the last few years where the scale of the fires has been incredible and among the worst I’ve ever seen.

I’m kind of at a loss for words, but just wanted to pay my respects and to acknowledge that the people who have been fighting these fires and rescuing people and animals and homes are real heroes and have true courage. I’m glad Apple is doing something.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
<snip>
Apple is donating directly towards dealing with the disaster.
And will surely catch flak for doing so. Some must complain when Apple does anything that doesn’t benefit them personally. Personally, I think it’s a nice gesture, and the contribution can only help. If I were one of those directly affected, I’d appreciate it even more.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
And will surely catch flak for doing so. Some must complain when Apple does anything that doesn’t benefit them personally. Personally, I think it’s a nice gesture, and the contribution can only help. If I were one of those directly affected, I’d appreciate it even more.

Yeah...sadly, it's just another opportunity for the perpetually unhappy to dump on Apple for their efforts and contributions. No amount will ever be enough.

What's really awful is using a natural disaster where people and animals have lost their lives as a stage to crap on Apple.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 604
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Just curious as to whether or not Apple donated money to U.S. fire relief efforts and not just those in California but in other states as well.
If you’re gonna be a tool of Apple’s PR department why not at least follow up and ask Cook exactly how much Apple is contributing?
Yes I suppose it’s possible that Apple is not doing enough; oh my, yes... that is a concern. Of course, others are concerned Apple is doing too much 🤷‍♂️

But with so much concern on both ends of the concern continuum, it would seem that Apple might just be doing exactly the right amount :)

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
"Apple to Donate Money to Support Fire Relief Efforts in Australia".

How to quickly extinguish forest fires. Worldwide network of infrared satellites to detect wildfires and extinguish them in five minutes after ignition using seaplanes and helicopters. Capturing pyromaniacs on the spot. End of problem. Forever.

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Australia is suffering a double whammy - record drought (no precious water) and record bushfires (need precious water). On top of everything else, gum trees have fire propellant (eucalyptus oil) in their leaves. And koalas live in gum trees - they're literally toast with all this going on!

person s

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2005
Alright I'll be that guy before that guy walks into this thread. That incompetent, dastardly Tim Cook running around wasting time and money on social issues again. He should be in the lab redesigning a new mini.
I think he has people for the mini work
these fires are burning where I first grew up, and bringing back terrible memories of the devastation then and since
everyone is glad of the support for the firefighters

Reactions: wbeasley

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Timbo, glad I bought a new Mac this year!

I'm just gonna thank Apple for their support instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: citysnaps

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
This donation to the Australian government would be far more generous if Apple actually paid their taxes correctly instead of using subsidiaries in tax havens to shuffle the books. So basically, Apple avoids paying their fair share of taxes, thus ripping off the public, then donates to pretty causes to gain public goodwill. Thanks Tim Crook.

Last edited:

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
This year for Christmas, instead of spending money on presents, I asked family members if it was possible to use the money that would have been spent on them on the Country Fire Services instead. Many volunteers have been battling the fires locally in South Australia and no money comes from the government to further assist them in their heroic efforts. So to see Apple contribute to this effort is indeed marvellous and heartfelt. Whether for altruistic purposes or business reasons, at the end of the day, it will be money available to all those that have been affected by the fires and those that have had to spend the harrowing 40 degree + days fighting the fires on our behalf.

Thank you Apple!

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The areas burnt out by bushfires is staggering. Here is a snapshot of part of New South Wales - the grey areas are where fires have been or are still active. It is incredible that the Australian government is resisting calls to compensate the wonderful volunteer fire fighters. Normally these people spend a few days of the year fighting local fires but most have spent weeks this fire season already - unpaid unless they have very generous employers.
02A1C137-EF7B-4821-B3F6-6ED827AD0F23.jpeg

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Over 5 million hectares now (19300 square miles for the US folks) have burnt this fire season. The fires are too big to extinguish and no rain is likely until at least February. We’re also a good month or so away from the hottest time of the year.
Thanks Apple for the donations, it all helps and we need it.

@Brett

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2016
Did Apple donate money to California when they had the fires this year ?
Yes they did.
[automerge]1577530739[/automerge]
Thank you Apple. Every bit helps and our fire fighters really need all the support they can get. Also someone needs to invent a vacuum bomb or something like that which would suck oxygen from the area thus killing the fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
It’s been horrific, all the suffering and death the wildfires have wrought on humans and pets and wildlife all over the world, especially the last few years where the scale of the fires has been incredible and among the worst I’ve ever seen.

I’m kind of at a loss for words, but just wanted to pay my respects and to acknowledge that the people who have been fighting these fires and rescuing people and animals and homes are real heroes and have true courage. I’m glad Apple is doing something.

Humans have the mental and physical ability to escape. It's the wildlife, the poor animals.

Absolutely breaks my heart. 😢😢😢😢

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.