Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
Is Apple owned by Timmy or shareholders all over the world?

They sell more hardware in America or India ? This should answer the question where Tim will virtue signal. Is not about what is right , it’s about profits . Tim might play the really nice guy, but he is ruthless a about only one thing $$$$. And he is good at it, alas we now pay $1500 for an iPhone .....

Reactions: theheadguy

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
They sell more hardware in America or India ? This should answer the question where Tim will virtue signal. Is not about what is right , it’s about profits . Tim might play the really nice guy, but he is ruthless a about only one thing $$$$. And he is good at it, alas we now pay $1500 for an iPhone .....

It´s his job as CEO to generate a profit. Flagship phones of the other manufacturers now also cost more than $1000. You can still get a top rated newest generation iPhone for $750.

With all the focus on profits, Apple still donates to disaster relief and does it without fail. You should be pissed off at the oil and car companies that donate absolutely nothing, while being responsible for these disasters indirectly (more so than Apple). Also, the average citizen spends more money on gas and cars than on a phone. So why is everyone here pissed of at Apple? Call your own car dealership if you think the people that you buy from should donate, or donate something yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy and CB1234

tothsa

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
As a European and non-native English speaker I am curious whether “you are in my prayers” is just a saying or means Cook is actually praying in the evening?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple's default one million dollar donations to these mass catastrophes are increasingly insulting relative to their profits. As far as virtue-signaling goes, it's the least expensive thing they do all year.
Donating to charity is virtue signaling?
[doublepost=1539256335][/doublepost]
I don't want to sound cynical, but the thing with such publicised donations is that they provide companies with an opportunity to be mentioned in public media, in a positive way - that is, this is a cheap advertisement for a company.
That being said, every dime counts for people in need.
I haven’t heard one national news outlet mention Cook’s tweet. Maybe local news has but one has to be a pretty miserable person to think that’s why App,e donates.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
If they did they would publish it.
And that means they don’t it.
If you look for it, you can find many donation by Pepsi / Exxon / The Home Depot Foundation / The Starbucks Foundation / Lowe’s / United Airlines and such (all the majors do, and many small companies do it , even if only for tax deductions....), they just do not make a fuss like Apple does..

I don't disclose if I do and how much if I do donate, that does not prove anything.

EDIT:
Just because it is not on paper (or screen) doesn't mean it did not happen, and just because it is (on screen) does not mean it did happen!

Last edited:

Nick05

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
And that to me is a plus for other companies, may be they do and they just do not make a fuss about it!
More than likely they’re not donating anything. If it makes you feel better inside, you can continue to pretend that the other companies are better for not donating because the ceo didn’t send a tweet.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
If you look for it, you can find many donation by Microsoft and such (all the majors do, and many companies do it , even if only for tax deductions....), they just do not make a fuss like Apple does..

I don't disclose if I do and how much if I do donate, that does not prove anything.

EDIT:
Just because it is not on paper (or screen) doesn't mean it did not happen, and just because it is (on screen) does not mean it did happen!

(1) Part of the point in "mak[ing] a fuss" about such donations is to encourage others to donate.

(2) A publicly-traded company should, when it donates a large amount of money (e.g. a million dollars), let the public know somehow. Shareholders should know that it is donating such large amounts for purposes that aren't really business related. They can decide for themselves whether they think that is proper (or whether they think a lack of such donations is proper) and act accordingly.

(3) Apple surely donates considerable amounts which it doesn't "make a fuss" about (e.g., because they come as smaller individual donations). We don't necessarily know how much, but we know, e.g., that it has a very generous matching program for employee donations.

Reactions: alexmarchuk

Rojaaemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
So? A million is a million and if it reaches the right persons then who cares what accounting methods they chose to get it there?

That is what I'm asking -- is it reaching the "right" people? If I were giving such a large sum, and making press releases about it, I'd want to know how it was actually used. Thinking of that mountain of millions of bottles of drinking water still piled on the runway in Puerto Rico. Apple is run by perfectionists, so I expect they have high standards in this regard.

And I'm not angry at anyone.

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
(1) Part of the point in "mak[ing] a fuss" about such donations is to encourage others to donate..
I can see what you are doing there, but still, I don't think it is classy (Apple or any other company).

Microsoft usually (to name one) ask it's employee to donate and then donate accordingly as a 1:1 basis, wich I find is laudable (don't know if Apple does the same, if it does that's a nice thing to do to involve people)

(2) A publicly-traded company should, when it donates a large amount of money (e.g. a million dollars), let the public know somehow. Shareholders should know that it is donating such large amounts for purposes that aren't really business related. They can decide for themselves whether they think that is proper (or whether they think a lack of such donations is proper) and act accordingly.
There are other ways to disclose to your investors about donation, making it public is one of them , but not the only one, for sure s the one that gives you more "public attention".

(3) Apple surely donates considerable amounts which it doesn't "make a fuss" about (e.g., because they come as smaller individual donations). We don't necessarily know how much, but we know, e.g., that it has a very generous matching program for employee donations.
So do many other company, again there's nothing wrong in me thinking it is not classy to do so publicly, you can agree to disagree.

Shiro_Simba

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
London
It´s his job as CEO to generate a profit. Flagship phones of the other manufacturers now also cost more than $1000. You can still get a top rated newest generation iPhone for $750.

With all the focus on profits, Apple still donates to disaster relief and does it without fail. You should be pissed off at the oil and car companies that donate absolutely nothing, while being responsible for these disasters indirectly (more so than Apple). Also, the average citizen spends more money on gas and cars than on a phone. So why is everyone here pissed of at Apple? Call your own car dealership if you think the people that you buy from should donate, or donate something yourself.

Where did I criticise apple’s donation ??

Fail to see how the price of $1500 iPhone is justified vrs gas/car for a year. This is Tim Cook pulling the Jedi mind trick of skipping x cups of coffee per week to justify his price hikes .....

Tim Cook is awesome at his job of bringing in the profits , respect, his virtue signalling......another matter

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
I can see what you are doing there, but still, I don't think it is classy (Apple or any other company).

Microsoft usually (to name one) ask it's employee to donate and then donate accordingly as a 1:1 basis, wich I find is laudable (don't know if Apple does the same, if it does that's a nice thing to do to involve people)

Apple, in making its large donation public, is encouraging others to donate. To the extent some think making it public isn't classy, it would seem that Apple is okay with that consequence (of making its donation public) if it means increasing donations. In other words, it is doing what it thinks will be more helpful when it comes to responding to the devastation even if that means it will look bad in the eyes of some (e.g., you).

Also, Apple is currently matching its employees' charitable donations, up to $10,000 a year, two-to-one. And it's donating twice what it used to (which I think was $25 an hour) for each hour that its employees spend volunteering for charitable organizations.

There are other ways to disclose to your investors about donation, making it public is one of them , but not the only one, for sure s the one that gives you more "public attention".

How would a publicly-traded company disclose information to investors other than by making it public?

So do many other company, again there's nothing wrong in me thinking it is not classy to do so publicly, you can agree to disagree.

The point is, Apple doesn't go out of its way to disclose (e.g., the amount of) all of its donations. It isn't trying to get credit or favorable public attention every time it makes a donation. It discloses certain donations for, possibly among other reasons, the two reasons I mentioned - to encourage others to donate and because shareholders should be made aware of such large donations.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple's default one million dollar donations to these mass catastrophes are increasingly insulting relative to their profits. As far as virtue-signaling goes, it's the least expensive thing they do all year.

The amount wasn't stated. Likely because no how much Apple donates, it will never be enough for the whiners on tech forums.
[doublepost=1539263840][/doublepost]
They should just do it without advertizing it, kudos for helping, but sounds more like a PR thing than a real will to help.

Still good for the people that get some help!

True, yet they feel they have obligation in advertizing it....

It's called raising awareness for Apple's 1 billion customers that might want to donate if nudged. Did you donate?

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
How would a publicly-traded company disclose information to investors other than by making it public?
Well...

Apple doesn't go out of its way to disclose (e.g., the amount of) all of its donations.
So somehow they still let their investor know ;)

For the most part (of the rest of yourt post )though i can see your point.

It's called raising awareness for Apple's 1 billion customers that might want to donate if nudged. Did you donate?
No, did not donate myself, might have done it If I were living in the US (there's also plenty of other charitable things to donate to ....can't donate to everyone, I mean you pick your budget and then the causes you can help), the point is, Apple doing it would not have influenced me.

Last edited:

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
The $200 BILLION dollar company that I run pledges $1 MILLION dollars. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the nice applause, but it's really not necessary.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The $200 BILLION dollar company that I run pledges $1 MILLION dollars. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the nice applause, but it's really not necessary.
Apple doesn’t have 200B sitting in a bank account somewhere. Of course you knew that.

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Now that 's just silly, as I stated, there's plenty of other causes to devolve money to, they cannot put all their money in one basket.

I applaud them for doing it (no matter the ammount), I am only against the publicity stunt.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Did Tim Cook grow up in India and have a personal connection to it?

That is the most ridiculous post I've read online in a very long while, and I've read a lot here on Macrumors alone. Any notion that Tim would only donate money from a PUBLIC company based on his PERSONAL preferences is not only illegal, it's idiotic. More importantly, APPLE (not Tim), DOES donate to international tragedies.

Reactions: Mayostudent

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland

How many times can Apple drop a million dollars and have it not matter. Big upgrade from the Jobs era here. The path is heading in the right direction.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Well...

So somehow they still let their investor know ;)

For the most part (of the rest of yourt post )though i can see your point.

We don’t, as far as I’m aware, know how much Apple has donated to particular organizations through its matching program.

We know the program exists, and some of the details of it, because Apple has made that information public. (We also have information about it because Apple’s employees have to be made aware of it. That being the case, whether or not Apple would want certain information released more broadly, Apple can’t really prevent its broader release.)

The point is, Apple can’t really disclose information to investors without making that information public. If Apple has information it believes its investors should have, it can’t privately disclose that information to them (or just some of them). It has to disclose such information publicly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.