Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple to Donate Up to $1 Million to (RED), Outs New (PRODUCT)RED Gear in Honor of World AIDS Day

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has announced it will once again honor World AIDS Day by donating $1 to (RED)'s fight against AIDS for every purchase made with Apple Pay at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app, up to a total of $1 million, starting tomorrow through December 6.
"The gift of life is the most important gift that anyone can give," said Tim Cook. "Thanks to the vision and dedication of (RED), an AIDS-free generation is within our reach. We want to leave the world better than we found it, and that's why our longtime partnership with (RED) remains so important to us."
Bank of America will likewise make a donation for every Apple Pay transaction made using its cards, also up to $1 million, on December 1-7.

Apple is also releasing new PRODUCT(RED) products, including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case and iPhone SE Case, alongside the Pill+ Portable Speaker and Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones, all of which are or will be available today. A portion of proceeds raised from these products support The Global Fund.

Meanwhile, for the next week, a number of popular App Store games will be offering limited-edition, custom (RED) content. All proceeds from the associated in-app purchases will go to The Global Fund. The 20 apps set to participate:

o Angry Birds 2
o Angry Birds POP!
o Best Fiends
o Best Fiends Forever
o Boom Beach
o Candy Crush Jelly Saga
o Clash of Clans
o Clash Royale
o CSR2
o Episode

o Farm Heroes Saga
o FarmVille: Tropic Escape
o FIFA Mobile
o Hay Day
o MARVEL Contest of Champions
o PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator
o Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
o SimCity BuildIt
o War Dragons
o YAHTZEE With Buddies

In the United States, Apple is offering a free iTunes download of The Lazarus Effect, the documentary about the mission of (RED). Meanwhile, 100 percent of U.S. proceeds raised from The Killers' holiday album Don't Waste Your Wishes, exclusively available on iTunes, will go to The Global Fund.

Apple says customers around the world can also easily donate directly to (RED) through iTunes to join the fight against AIDS. Meanwhile, a record 400+ Apple retail stores around the world will once again turn their logos red or feature (RED) window decals on December 1 to raise visibility for World AIDS Day.

Update: The PRODUCT(RED) iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case ($99.00) and iPhone SE Leather Case ($39.00) are now available to order on Apple.com. At the time of writing, delivery dates are stretching between December 5-7 for the iPhone 7 case and December 2-5 for the iPhone SE case.

Article Link: Apple to Donate Up to $1 Million to (RED), Outs New (PRODUCT)RED Gear in Honor of World AIDS Day

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
RED is a big theme for apple. 1m is good. But 100m would have been a nicer gesture. Wouldnt have made any difference at all to apple to be honest.

Comment

darkpaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
Is (RED) the charity whose administration & marketing costs are so high, that barely anything raised actually goes toward the fight against HIV and AIDS? Wouldn't it be better for Apple to give the money directly to those researching and developing treatments rather than a middleman who takes their cut?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that this happens, but $1 million is nothing to a company with $200 billion sitting around. They can afford much more. Hell, even $2 million would be better, and would still be insignificant. Yay for Apple giving $1 away on a $3,000 purchase...

Comment

tw1ll

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
This will be a mixed bag - some will congratulate supporting a good cause, some will call them cheap.

It is a good cause and it is to be applauded.

However, to put things in perspective $1M represents 14.6 MINUTES of profit from last quarters earnings. It is also only going to be donated after having spent $$$ in an Apple store generating more $Bn profits this quarter. On balance, I call them cheap - Cook should match fund the direct donations from his own pocket if he's that concerned - money grabbing, second rate exec. hypocrite.

Comment

cicalinarrot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2015
Charity is like everything else in life, it's complicated.
It may be considered our only way to make the world better.
It may be considered another mechanism to sell stuff, even worse because it uses people's goodness, while cleaning their conscience.
Let's just take it as something complex to think about, let's discuss it, let's take it as an excuse to talk about problems.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Comment

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
the pool
I couldn't find it either! I loved my battery case for my 6 and a red case on black phone would look cool to boot!
Yep, use the Smart Battery case I got for 2015 Christmas and I had for my 6, ruined that phone
Then got a 6s last year and used that case until I lost it

And then I just bought the iPhone 7 and picked up the 6s battery case for $35 and love it
No need to pay $100 for the same case, but now I need to because of the red color!

I don't comprehend why someone would use any other battery case, this one you can see the exact percentage, it charges with your phone efficiently and it uses the damn Lightning connector, which other manufacters have a hard time doing, and you can save a life when you purchase!

Comment

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I hate these "company donations" based on customer dollars. What if everyone that supports RED directly donates -gasp- $2. And Apple just man up and write a check for $1M (no "up to", no marketing tie in, just support).

You point would be strong if they were a private company. My big issues are with stock market corporate and trader greed.

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
$1 million from Apple is like a penny for the average person

That was my thought, too, but Apple sells Product (RED) throughout the year, so this is just an extra $1 million tacked onto that. Could they have afforded more? Yes, but how many people would complain that Apple has $100 million to just "give away" whenever they feel like it? For many people, it's a financial struggle just to afford Apple products.

Reactions: thasan
Comment

TimCookMustGo

Suspended
Nov 21, 2016
Is it safe to assume all dongles required for new Macbook Pros are (RED) products, since they have ridiculously high margins?

Comment

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Is (RED) the charity whose administration & marketing costs are so high, that barely anything raised actually goes toward the fight against HIV and AIDS? Wouldn't it be better for Apple to give the money directly to those researching and developing treatments rather than a middleman who takes their cut?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that this happens, but $1 million is nothing to a company with $200 billion sitting around. They can afford much more. Hell, even $2 million would be better, and would still be insignificant. Yay for Apple giving $1 away on a $3,000 purchase...

How much have you given to HIV causes relative to your net worth?

Comment

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Heh. Appleian slip -- when the web page was loading I thought read it Apple Dongles....

I hate these "company donations" based on customer dollars. What if everyone that supports RED directly donates -gasp- $2. And Apple just man up and write a check for $1M (no "up to", no marketing tie in, just support).

Because while Apple donates $1m hard cash the publicity here for Product Red is worth much more than that. If Apple silently donated $1M or even if it issued a press release then Project Red would get it's money just the same but it wouldn't raise a bit of awareness about its cause. Apple is using its huge marketing power here for Project Reds cause.
[doublepost=1480517530][/doublepost]
Only 1 million? Guess Tim Cook took the other 90% and out it in his pocket so he can drive Apple into the ground further.

Except you are looking at this as if it's the only $ or in-kind donation Apple makes all year.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
$1 million from Apple is like a penny for the average person

How many pennies did you give?
[doublepost=1480518056][/doublepost]
Id rather it to go curing childhood diseases and cancers....

Only tangantly related, but I saw a statistic that was a bit shocking the other day that your "childhood" specification reminded me of.

99% of all money donated to autism research focuses on autistic children under the age of 12. 80% of autistic people are never employed - we label them defective as children then never bother trying to figure out any way of letting them live semi-ordinary lives.

I agree that it's more important to cure childhood diseases than diseases that only impact senior citizens or something, but I think we might be taking this to too much of an extreme (at least in the case of autism.)

Reactions: RuralJuror
Comment

darkpaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
How much have you given to HIV causes relative to your net worth?
If someone buys something, Apple will likely make more than $1 in profit, so they're only giving away $1 per purchase regardless of how expensive that purchase is. I don't have $200bn in the bank, and I don't make money from selling products and making more profit than I give away, so your comparison is moot.

Oh, and I'm currently unemployed, but still give £10 a month to the Terence Higgins Trust, and an extra tenner when I have a HIV test.

Comment

canny

Suspended
Jun 11, 2009
First Apple appoints a Head Diva, and now they give $1 million to an AIDS charity (which is known for spending most of its money on itself).

What next, free downloads of the Wizard of Oz? The return of the rainbow Apple logo? The man behind the curtain is looking more like a fraud every day.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.