Apple to Donate Up to $1 Million to (RED), Outs New (PRODUCT)RED Gear in Honor of World AIDS Day

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced it will once again honor World AIDS Day by donating $1 to (RED)'s fight against AIDS for every purchase made with Apple Pay at an Apple Store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app, up to a total of $1 million, starting tomorrow through December 6.
    Bank of America will likewise make a donation for every Apple Pay transaction made using its cards, also up to $1 million, on December 1-7.

[​IMG]

Apple is also releasing new PRODUCT(RED) products, including an iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case and iPhone SE Case, alongside the Pill+ Portable Speaker and Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones, all of which are or will be available today. A portion of proceeds raised from these products support The Global Fund.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, for the next week, a number of popular App Store games will be offering limited-edition, custom (RED) content. All proceeds from the associated in-app purchases will go to The Global Fund. The 20 apps set to participate:

o Angry Birds 2
    o Angry Birds POP!
    o Best Fiends
    o Best Fiends Forever
    o Boom Beach
    o Candy Crush Jelly Saga
    o Clash of Clans
    o Clash Royale
    o CSR2
    o Episode

o Farm Heroes Saga
    o FarmVille: Tropic Escape
    o FIFA Mobile
    o Hay Day
    o MARVEL Contest of Champions
    o PewDiePie's Tuber Simulator
    o Plants vs. Zombies Heroes
    o SimCity BuildIt
    o War Dragons
    o YAHTZEE With Buddies

In the United States, Apple is offering a free iTunes download of The Lazarus Effect, the documentary about the mission of (RED). Meanwhile, 100 percent of U.S. proceeds raised from The Killers' holiday album Don't Waste Your Wishes, exclusively available on iTunes, will go to The Global Fund.

Apple says customers around the world can also easily donate directly to (RED) through iTunes to join the fight against AIDS. Meanwhile, a record 400+ Apple retail stores around the world will once again turn their logos red or feature (RED) window decals on December 1 to raise visibility for World AIDS Day.

Update: The PRODUCT(RED) iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case ($99.00) and iPhone SE Leather Case ($39.00) are now available to order on Apple.com. At the time of writing, delivery dates are stretching between December 5-7 for the iPhone 7 case and December 2-5 for the iPhone SE case.

Article Link: Apple to Donate Up to $1 Million to (RED), Outs New (PRODUCT)RED Gear in Honor of World AIDS Day

2. pentidoes macrumors 6502

pentidoes

Well done! That's one of those few times when I love Apple these days.
    Hopefully, there'll be a cure along the way for all those infected.

Get well, everybody.

3. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

$1 million from Apple is like a penny for the average person

4. LatinaC09 macrumors regular

LatinaC09

5. thasan macrumors 6502a

RED is a big theme for apple. 1m is good. But 100m would have been a nicer gesture. Wouldnt have made any difference at all to apple to be honest.

6. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Nicely done. Hopefully one day this won't be necessary anymore due to this disease's eradication.

7. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

People complaining about a $1 million donation. Idc if Apple has a bagillion in the bank, it still helps. Typical MR.

8. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

I hate these "company donations" based on customer dollars. What if everyone that supports RED directly donates -gasp- $2. And Apple just man up and write a check for $1M (no "up to", no marketing tie in, just support).

9. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Is (RED) the charity whose administration & marketing costs are so high, that barely anything raised actually goes toward the fight against HIV and AIDS? Wouldn't it be better for Apple to give the money directly to those researching and developing treatments rather than a middleman who takes their cut?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that this happens, but $1 million is nothing to a company with $200 billion sitting around. They can afford much more. Hell, even $2 million would be better, and would still be insignificant. Yay for Apple giving $1 away on a $3,000 purchase...

10. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

WHERE IS THAT RED SMART BATTERY CASE I WANT ONE!

11. tw1ll macrumors regular

This will be a mixed bag - some will congratulate supporting a good cause, some will call them cheap.

It is a good cause and it is to be applauded.

However, to put things in perspective $1M represents 14.6 MINUTES of profit from last quarters earnings. It is also only going to be donated after having spent $$$ in an Apple store generating more $Bn profits this quarter. On balance, I call them cheap - Cook should match fund the direct donations from his own pocket if he's that concerned - money grabbing, second rate exec. hypocrite.

12. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I couldn't find it either! I loved my battery case for my 6 and a red case on black phone would look cool to boot!

13. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

Charity is like everything else in life, it's complicated.
    It may be considered our only way to make the world better.
    It may be considered another mechanism to sell stuff, even worse because it uses people's goodness, while cleaning their conscience.
    Let's just take it as something complex to think about, let's discuss it, let's take it as an excuse to talk about problems.

14. Nick11Mac macrumors 6502

Nick11Mac

15. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Yep, use the Smart Battery case I got for 2015 Christmas and I had for my 6, ruined that phone
    Then got a 6s last year and used that case until I lost it

And then I just bought the iPhone 7 and picked up the 6s battery case for $35 and love it
    No need to pay $100 for the same case, but now I need to because of the red color!

I don't comprehend why someone would use any other battery case, this one you can see the exact percentage, it charges with your phone efficiently and it uses the damn Lightning connector, which other manufacters have a hard time doing, and you can save a life when you purchase!

16. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

You point would be strong if they were a private company. My big issues are with stock market corporate and trader greed.

17. coolfactor macrumors 68040

That was my thought, too, but Apple sells Product (RED) throughout the year, so this is just an extra $1 million tacked onto that. Could they have afforded more? Yes, but how many people would complain that Apple has $100 million to just "give away" whenever they feel like it? For many people, it's a financial struggle just to afford Apple products.

18. TimCookMustGo Suspended

TimCookMustGo

Is it safe to assume all dongles required for new Macbook Pros are (RED) products, since they have ridiculously high margins?

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

How much have you given to HIV causes relative to your net worth?

20. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Only 1 million? Guess Tim Cook took the other 90% and out it in his pocket so he can drive Apple into the ground further.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Heh. Appleian slip -- when the web page was loading I thought read it Apple Dongles....

Because while Apple donates $1m hard cash the publicity here for Product Red is worth much more than that. If Apple silently donated $1M or even if it issued a press release then Project Red would get it's money just the same but it wouldn't raise a bit of awareness about its cause. Apple is using its huge marketing power here for Project Reds cause.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    Except you are looking at this as if it's the only $ or in-kind donation Apple makes all year.

22. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

Id rather it to go curing childhood diseases and cancers....

23. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

How many pennies did you give?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    Only tangantly related, but I saw a statistic that was a bit shocking the other day that your "childhood" specification reminded me of.

99% of all money donated to autism research focuses on autistic children under the age of 12. 80% of autistic people are never employed - we label them defective as children then never bother trying to figure out any way of letting them live semi-ordinary lives.

I agree that it's more important to cure childhood diseases than diseases that only impact senior citizens or something, but I think we might be taking this to too much of an extreme (at least in the case of autism.)

24. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

If someone buys something, Apple will likely make more than $1 in profit, so they're only giving away $1 per purchase regardless of how expensive that purchase is. I don't have $200bn in the bank, and I don't make money from selling products and making more profit than I give away, so your comparison is moot.

Oh, and I'm currently unemployed, but still give £10 a month to the Terence Higgins Trust, and an extra tenner when I have a HIV test.

25. canny macrumors regular

canny

First Apple appoints a Head Diva, and now they give $1 million to an AIDS charity (which is known for spending most of its money on itself).

What next, free downloads of the Wizard of Oz? The return of the rainbow Apple logo? The man behind the curtain is looking more like a fraud every day.