Apple to drop pro apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Darin C., Jun 9, 2009.

1. Darin C. macrumors newbie

Lots of talk in the film/video world that Apple is going to drop
    their pro apps as of 2012. That would really suck!

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

i wouldnt think so. The only pro app i can see dropped is aperture

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I can't see why they would think that (either Apple or the folks telling you this). Apple: It sells hardware, just like OS-X. Film/TV: It's Final Cut.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Well wouldn't you drop the apps? The ****'s hitting the fan in 2012...the status of Final "fecking" Cut Pro ain't gonna mean diddly when the world ends.

5. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Lol, your one of those... :rolleyes:

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Any references? Otherwise likely FUD.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you have a link? The voices in your head don't count.

9. mac88 macrumors 6502

Final Cut to be dropped? This will never happen.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The only reason I can see for this happening is that Apple can't update the apps for Snow Leopard in time - which seems highly unlikely.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Par for the course.

Go on a photography site and you'll find the chicken littles whining about Aperture not having any updates ...it must be dead.

Go to video production sites and you'll find teh chicken littles whining about Final Cut Studio not being updated... so it must be dead

Got to music production sites and you'll find the chicken littles whining about Logic Studio not being updated so it must be dead.

Anyone noticing a pattern here?

The truth is creative types use computers as a tool but many of them are no where close to being computer science geeks. To them...no updates = dead product.

The computer science geek understand that Apple had a tough decision.

Keep the tandem of Cocoa and Carbon frameworks and stretch the engineering resources to the point of breaking or choose one and move forward with 64-bit. They chose Cocoa and are moving forward.

Keep legacy support for PPC or cut bait and move to Intel. They chose to cut bait and Snow Leopard is Intel only.

Aperture, Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio all need to be 64-bit, "But Nuck....didn't Apple kill the 64-bit version of Carbon? Aren't most of the Apple Pro apps Carbon"

So there you have it. A truth so evident the three ****ing blind mice could see it. Apple had to

A. Revamp OS X so that areas were Cocoa didn't have adequate coverage were fixed by writing new code and wrapping Carbon with Cocoa when then could.

B. Removing legacy Carbon code that wouldn't support 64-bit

C. A ****-ton of other stuff

Question - "Why doesn't Apple just tell us what's going on?"

Answer - "Because you wouldn't ****ing understand the issues involved"

The Pro apps are not for sale and they're not dead.

12. mmulin macrumors 6502

Just like you here, one poster is speculating without any real indications. Then again this is a rumour site. Congratulations!

Anyways, my personal opinion is NO - at least for the FCS & Logic that is! Too much market penetration currently. But they might need some time before getting thoses OpenCLed & GrandCentraled & Cocoaed.

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm not sure why you are giving this link as evidence for the claim that Pro Apps are going away. First, it's another forum, which by no means makes it authoritative or reliable. Second, most of the conversation is about how the new FCP will be made to support the new features that are being introduced like Open CL, Snow Leopard, and multi-core processing. I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything that backs up this rumor.

Ha Ha! I laugh in the face of speculation like this.... :D

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would Apple kill Aperture? I'd bet that there are more Aperture users than Final Cut. You don't need to be a professional to use Aperture, you do for Final Cut (sorta).

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

I was thinking about the pro apps the other day, and why they hadn't been updated in some time. I completely forgot about this totally plausible explanation until you just said it. It makes perfect sense now.

<cheezy voice>Thanks, nuckinfutz!!</cheezy voice>

(But seriously, thanks.)

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

LOL. A few threads on the internet does not equal "lots of talk in the film/video world". Are some people pissed and/or getting impatient because of the lack of updates to the software and the fusking around that Apple has been doing w/the hardware? Yes. Is this the first time people have speculated that Apple is going to kill or sell the ProApps? No. Will this be the last time for such speculation? No.

Lethal