Apple to Fix Major FaceTime Bug That Lets People Covertly Hear Your Audio and See Your Video 'Later This Week' [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to address a major FaceTime bug that allows anyone who FaceTimes you see the audio and video from your iPhone or iPad even if you don't answer the call.

In a statement made to Axios, Apple said it was aware of the issue and has identified a fix that will be "released in a software update later this week."

It's not clear when "later this week" is, but Apple will presumably address the bug as quickly as possible because it us a huge privacy violation. While it was originally thought that it only allowed someone who called to hear your FaceTime audio, pressing the power button on a device also allows video to be seen.

These FaceTime calls can be made covertly and are super easy to initiate, requiring only a few steps as outlined in our original post on the subject.

All you need to do is initiate a FaceTime call and add your own number to it while it's ringing, forcing a connection with another person. There is no way to stop someone from using FaceTime this way other than disabling FaceTime on your devices.

Update: Apple appears to have temporarily addressed the issue by disabling Group FaceTime calls server side. On Apple's System Status page, Group FaceTime is now listed as unavailable.

Article Link: Apple to Fix Major FaceTime Bug That Lets People Covertly Hear Your Audio and See Your Video 'Later This Week' [Updated]

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Hm. Craig or Tim? Will any Apple exec take the blame this time?
Or, you seem to be missing the fact that Apple is acknowledging the glitch and is readily making adjustments to correct it. It’s not always about placing blame, it’s about acknowledging the glitch, moving forward to a resolution and protecting the consumer as quickly as possible to fix the issue.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North

Apple is planning to address a major FaceTime bug that allows anyone who FaceTimes you see the audio and video from your iPhone or iPad even if you don't answer the call.

In a statement made to Axios, Apple said it was aware of the issue and has identified a fix that will be "released in a software update later this week."

It's not clear when "later this week" is, but Apple will presumably address the bug as quickly as possible because it us a huge privacy violation. While it was originally thought that it only allowed someone who called to hear your FaceTime audio, pressing the power button on a device also allows video to be seen.

These FaceTime calls can be made covertly and are super easy to initiate, requiring only a few steps as outlined in our original post on the subject.

All you need to do is initiate a FaceTime call and add your own number to it while it's ringing, forcing a connection with another person. There is no way to stop someone from using FaceTime this way other than disabling FaceTime on your devices.

Article Link: Apple to Fix Major FaceTime Bug That Lets People Covertly Hear Your Audio and See Your Video 'Later This Week'
Wait! Don't fix it! I want to know if the person on the other line is really happy to talk to me. ;)

birdieman128

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2016
Presumably you would know who would be listening on your conversation through the RECENT screen of All or Missed Calls.

Scooz

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Or, you seem to be missing the fact that Apple is acknowledging the glitch and is readily making adjustments to correct it. It’s not always about placing blame, it’s about acknowledging the glitch, moving forward to a resolution and protecting the consumer as quickly as possible to fix the issue.
Nah, that’s just a communications technique to look active after not being active enough in the first place.

Don’t let the spokesman distract you from looking at the person responsible.

Kyle4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
This needs to be thoroughly investigated, why are you able to have access to someone's mic/camera without them even answering to begin with? I'm really concerned about how long this bug has been out but not widely known or reported on. This is easily the worst bug I've ever seen in 12 years of using Apple products and I would not be surprised if they're sued for this.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Yikes. There's a difference between having a bit of fun and being creepy.
actually i think the person on the receiving end of the call has to hang up to stop the call. if they are not hanging up then you can rejoin the "call" as often as you want for as long as you want even if you hang up in between.

Reactions: Scooz

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
This is an interesting bug. The FT call will interrupt a call on the other user's phone as well.

This implies that the FaceTime stream can be controlled from the remote client, which is really bad. They may have stumbled across some kind of FaceTime back door.

REMOBs!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle4

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Since I don't have a video called "Later This Week" I guess this doesn't apply to me :) MacRumors needs a headline editor.

max2

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2015
This happen to me on T-mobile when I was trying it.

Glad I didn't stay with them.