Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widunn

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2016
Sacramento

Starting on January 2, Apple plans to hold a special New Year's Sale both online and at all of its retail locations in Japan, continuing a long tradition of offering something special on January 2 in the country.

Up until 2016, Apple took part in the Japanese tradition of offering "Fukubukuro" or "lucky bags" to customers. Fukubukuro used to contain an assortment of random Apple products at a price of approximately $300. Some bags contained things like backpacks, speakers, and other small accessories, but there was always a chance to win a larger product, like a MacBook Air or an iPad.

japanapplesale-800x460.jpg

The Fukubukuro tradition is still ongoing in Japan, but 2015 was the last year that Apple participated, opting instead for in-store sales and doing away with the long lines retail locations used to see as people hoped to snag one of the limited edition bags.

It is not clear what kind of discounts Apple will be offering on January 2, but it could be similar to the Black Friday event in the United States, which saw the company offer Apple Store gift cards up to $150 with the purchase of Macs, iPads, iPhones, and more.

Apple is also likely to offer additional sales in various countries around the world ahead of Lunar New Year, set to take place on Saturday, January 28.

Article Link: Apple to Hold New Year's Sale in Japan Starting January 2
[doublepost=1482823972][/doublepost]time is ticking for the apple watch

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Not surprised.

I remember the backlash when Apple had their "12 days of Christmas" promotion a few years back.

No point giving away free things to a bunch of entitled brats who will just whine about the whole experience either way. They could win a MacBook in a bag and complain that it wasn't in the highest configuration.

Might as well save the good stuff for a more appreciative country like Japan.

Reactions: CarlJ and Planey28

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Not surprised.

I remember the backlash when Apple had their "12 days of Christmas" promotion a few years back.

No point giving away free things to a bunch of entitled brats who will just whine about the whole experience either way. They could win a MacBook in a bag and complain that it wasn't in the highest configuration.

Might as well save the good stuff for a more appreciative country like Japan.

Wow, just wow, did you read what you wrote before pressing post reply?

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
Wow, Tim is a marketing genius!

"Hey, we've got this thing we're doing that's a tradition in Japan. Every year, we get huge lines of people trying to get into our store to buy these mystery bags and spending lots of money. It makes us look really good. Let's kill it."

Reactions: fat jez

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You don't think there is anything wrong with what you wrote or how you said it?

After having personally witnessed the backlash from the "12 days of Christmas" iTunes giveaway, I think I am already been very kind with my words. Seriously. People posting on 1-star reviews for apps they didn't like or appreciate even though it was free and they didn't have to download them. People complaining that the apps weren't apps that they wanted. The utter lack of tact was appalling. It was just ugly and disgraceful.

If this is the thanks Apple gets, then my message to Apple is - don't bother with this bunch of ungrateful ingrates. And you wonder why we haven't seen Apple repeat this promotion ever since.

Conversely, look at the Japanese. When part of a road collapsed in their country, it was promptly fixed and the mayor even personally apologized for the inconvenience caused, even when it wasn't his fault.

Like I said, save the promotions for people who can and will appreciate them more.

Reactions: CarlJ

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
After having personally witnessed the backlash from the "12 days of Christmas" iTunes giveaway, I think I am already been very kind with my words. Seriously. People posting on 1-star reviews for apps they didn't like or appreciate even though it was free and they didn't have to download them. People complaining that the apps weren't apps that they wanted. The utter lack of tact was appalling. It was just ugly and disgraceful.

If this is the thanks Apple gets, then my message to Apple is - don't bother with this bunch of ungrateful ingrates. And you wonder why we haven't seen Apple repeat this promotion ever since.

Conversely, look at the Japanese. When part of a road collapsed in their country, it was promptly fixed and the mayor even personally apologized for the inconvenience caused, even when it wasn't his fault.

Like I said, save the promotions for people who can and will appreciate them more.
So some races of people are better that some others?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So some races of people are better that some others?

It's not about race, but simply about rewarding more appreciative customers.

It just so happens that more customers from a particular geographic region apparently happen to sport a better attitude and know how to appreciate such a gesture better than the customers from another geographic region.

Why should Apple court trouble unnecessarily here?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Maybe some people are more objective? I'm not sure given your very pro apple stance, you are in a position to judge appreciation shown by users. The norm is not for consumers to please the company, it's the company to please consumers .
[doublepost=1482845201][/doublepost]

It just so happens that more customers from a particular geographic region apparently happen to sport a better attitude and know how to appreciate such a gesture better than the customers from another geographic region.

Your reply states its about race...... "particular geographic region" and cultural appreciation.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

Sounds awfully like you are stating that some races have better attitudes than others?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe some people are more objective? I'm not sure given your very pro apple stance, you are in a position to judge appreciation shown by users. The norm is not for consumers to please the company, it's the company to please consumers .

Well, in this case, the company went beyond what it was obligated to do and was roasted for it. What's worse were the app developers who took part and got nothing to show for their efforts but tons of negative reviews complaining about people not liking their free app.

If the consumer has shown they can't appreciate free apps and music, then why bother giving it to them?

Reactions: CarlJ

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sounds awfully like you are stating that some races have better attitudes than others?

I wasn't implying that some races have a better attitude than others, but now that you mention it, the people who would likely appreciate such a promotion better do overwhelmingly happen to belong to a particular race, don't they?

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
I wasn't implying that some races have a better attitude than others, but now that you mention it, the people who would likely appreciate such a promotion better do overwhelmingly happen to belong to a particular race, don't they?
You mentioned it not me. I was just questioning you on your views on race...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I'd disagree that any one race was better than another, how about you?

Like I said, it's not about race, but about rewarding the more appreciative group of people with nicer things. That it just so happens that one particular race of people seems to exhibit more positive traits than the other is tangential to this point.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well, in this case, the company went beyond what it was obligated to do and was roasted for it. What's worse were the app developers who took part and got nothing to show for their efforts but tons of negative reviews complaining about people not liking their free app.

If the consumer has shown they can't appreciate free apps and music, then why bother giving it to them?

Hang on, there was also positive praise and appreciation. You cannot just ignore that. It's just not black and white.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Like I said, it's not about race, but about rewarding the more appreciative group of people with nicer things. That it just so happens that one particular race of people seems to exhibit more positive traits than the other is tangential to this point.
I call a spade a spade and call it like I see it.

You can sugar coat it any way you like but you sound a little bit racist to my ears.
[doublepost=1482878451][/doublepost]
Or he's saying some cultures do. Seems like you're trying to clutch at straws a bit.
Or since he always slags off certain groups of people I was trying to eek out his views. So no clutching at straws

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hang on, there was also positive praise and appreciation. You cannot just ignore that. It's just not black and white.

Yes, but from my impression, it was overwhelmingly bad.

Don't blame Apple. Blame the few bad eggs who spoil the market for everyone else.

I call a spade a spade and call it like I see it.

You can sugar coat it any way you like but you sound a little bit racist to my ears.
[doublepost=1482878451][/doublepost]
Or since he always slags off certain groups of people I was trying to eek out his views. So no clutching at straws

I am not trying to sugar coat anything. Like you, I called a spade a spade. Apple holds a promotion for a certain group of people. There is overwhelmingly bad feedback. Apple stops the promotion.

Cause and effect. It's that straightforward. You want to try and inject a racist element into the discussion and turn this into something it's not, be my guest. I am not falling for it.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012

Don't blame Apple. Blame the few bad eggs who spoil the market for everyone else.
Don't take it to heart so much.

With any product that is talked about the negative will always get more "press".

You just have to seek out balanced reviews.

I know that the mbp is a gorgeous device and will work for most people but there are a lot of negatives that will not keep everyone happy. A lot of those negatives will seem inconsequential to you but to others they might be deal breakers.

I personally feel that Apple is a company that likes to take things away. That is why I give them so much stick on here at present. I used to give them so much praise and stick up for them in the past having owned probably over $20k of Apple gear over the years.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

I am not trying to sugar coat anything. Like you, I called a spade a spade. Apple holds a promotion for a certain group of people. There is overwhelmingly bad feedback. Apple stops the promotion.

Cause and effect. It's that straightforward. You want to try and inject a racist element into the discussion and turn this into something it's not, be my guest. I am not falling for it.

Fair enough. Care to provide a citation /link that the feedback was bad ? Or are you just as Assuming ? Please back up your statement .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.