Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

003359-FCP.jpg

ProVideoCoalition claims to have heard rumors that Apple is planning to use the Final Cut Pro User Group SuperMeet to announce the next version of Final Cut Pro.
Philip Bloom just confirmed with me that Canon has canceled his appearance at the Supermeet. Canon was told last night that Apple has demanded ALL “lecturn” or stage time exclusively. Some sponsors who were not using presenters may continue to sponsor the Vegas event, but none of them will be presenting on the stage.
The post goes on to talk about other sponsors including Avid that have had their sponsorship canceled for the event.

Apple has been known to be prepping a new version of Final Cut Pro and according to early reports the changes were described as "dramatic and ambitious". While the SuperMeet seems a strange venue for Apple to announce a new product, Apple has been taking a somewhat unusual approach to promoting and previewing this product. Earlier this year, Apple invited individuals including Final Cut Pro author Larry Jordon to a hands on. Jordan describes what he can of the preview meeting:
I’ve Seen The New Version of Final Cut Pro… and it's a jaw-dropper. Last week, Apple invited a few folks, including me, to a short meeting in Cupertino where they previewed the up-coming version of Final Cut Pro. While I am under NDA and can’t talk about what I saw, I CAN tell you the meeting happened and that it showcased the new Final Cut Pro. While the invited crowd was small, it was a Who’s Who of leaders in the post-production community. I felt like I was standing on the red carpet at an awards show, watching all the stars walk past.
The 2011 NAB also kicks off starting on April 9th and runs until April 14th.

Article Link: Apple to Introduce New Final Cut Pro on April 12th?

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
And I was sooooo close to buying AVID MC 5.5... thank goodness for an extended wait for my Tax refund... Now I'll sit tight to see if this RUMOR is actually true..... :apple:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I'm hoping for new imacs too. And mini's. I just got a promotion at work and approval from the wife to pretty much buy whatever mac I want. Except for the high end mac pro.

Man9z0r

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
SLO, CA
I hope this to be true. I have been wanting to get this software!

New to video and have heard a lot of good things. :eek:

Oh-es-Ten

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
London
So many things that FCP / FCS can improve upon here - they need the equivalent of Adobe's Mercury Engine, leveraging Grand Central, QTX, and a full Cocoa build for all the FCS apps...

At present we have to re-encode a lot of our footage (7D / Minicam etc), and you don't need to do that in Premiere, it just plays on the timeline - however editing in that is quite frankly an exercise in sheer frustration and strange bugs.

Come on, please be true! The days of pressing CMD+R I would love to see over! Especially when you are rendering an audio effect that actual renders in a microsecond, yet won't play realtime... Sigh.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Not again..

NAB is for broadcast professionals - its doubtful there will be computer releases here.

They don't have to announce the new hardware there. It's very unlikely they would have an event to announce the hardware upgrade. But there's no reason a refresh can't take place that day.

There are many reports of supplies of imacs and minis drying up as of a week ago so a refresh is certainly imminent.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I have a friend who is attending NAB next week was was told by a friend who has a booth there that Apple has arranged for lots of training sessions, more training sessions then they have usually have had in the past.

Considering Final Cut Studio is a bit outdated I would presume we will see an announcement next week.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I'm not trolling, this is an honest question. But isn't a Final Cut pretty much worthless for commercial use without a way to put the results on Blu-Ray?

jeanlain

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2009
Strange, I thought that Apple had decided to ignore such meetings, and that they would showcase new products only during their own events.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'm not trolling, this is an honest question. But isn't a Final Cut pretty much worthless for commercial use without a way to put the results on Blu-Ray?

Nobody's using Blu-Ray, in my experience. It's just another way of sucking money out of home consumers. Everything's done online in terms of delivery...

Jamieserg

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010

I want to see this is a feature i want to see in final cut studio just because I use blu rays to showcase my short films at my uni's film theatre. But it's not a deal breaker Final Cut Studio isn't just about that as long as FCP is strong i can use third party software

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
So many things that FCP / FCS can improve upon here - they need the equivalent of Adobe's Mercury Engine, leveraging Grand Central, QTX, and a full Cocoa build for all the FCS apps...

At present we have to re-encode a lot of our footage (7D / Minicam etc), and you don't need to do that in Premiere, it just plays on the timeline - however editing in that is quite frankly an exercise in sheer frustration and strange bugs.

Come on, please be true! The days of pressing CMD+R I would love to see over! Especially when you are rendering an audio effect that actual renders in a microsecond, yet won't play realtime... Sigh.
Personally, I love CS5, even on the Mac Pro with 5870/GTX285. Hopefully this won't jinx myself, but I've had no bugs or frustrations, and I edit full HD movies with it.

I'm looking forward to this version of FCS, because I've only played around in it with others' systems, and it didn't blow my skirt up. It will be nice to have both suites, if the new FCS proves worthy. I know a lot of FCS users, and I look forward to joining them, so get this thing right, Apple.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

Final Cut Pro supports Blu Ray authoring but it does the bare minimum only. A DVD Studio Pro like program would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.