Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

time_capsule_backup.jpg
Apple is about to launch upgraded AirPort Extremes and Time Capsules, according to 9to5mac who cites Mr. X as a source. The new part numbers are listed below and offer a higher storage capacity Time Capsule at 3TB.

• MD031LL/A - AIRPORT EXTREME 802.11N (5TH GEN)- USA
• MD032LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 2TB (4TH GENERATION) - USA
• MD033LL/A - TIME CAPSULE 3TB (4TH GENERATION) - USA

The prices of all parts are said to drop in price, though the exact price hasn't been specified. Given the last minute part numbers, we expect the new devices could launch as early as Tuesday morning.

What's particularly interesting is that the 3TB part was predicted by MICGadget in their report late yesterday.
What's more, the 1TB model may go extinct, and the new Time Capsule will be available in 2TB plus storage, and according to our trusted source, 3TB is tested, but not sure if Apple got it to work.
They also predicted a new design with better heat dissipation, better signal strength and software update caching.

Article Link: Apple to Launch Cheaper AirPort Extreme, 3TB Time Capsule

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Assuming the prices are much more reasonably than current offerings ($99 seems very Apple), I will almost definitely buy the new Airport Extreme, if not a Time Capsule.

Although I hope this isn't the only announcement for today. Final Cut Pro X can't come soon enough. Anyone else?

What do you think:
Airport Express: $69
Airport Extreme: $129
Time Capsule 2TB: $229
Time Capsule 3TB: $299

Last edited:

hohohong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Perfect timing!! Just sold my 2TB TC a few hours ago!

I hope there's HDMI out with Thunderbolt!

Last edited:

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Ooh, about time for a capacity upgrade! I might also get an AirPort Extreme if they do drop prices (4 storey house :(). I don't expect them to drop significantly though

TeaZy

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Assuming the prices are much more reasonably than current offerings ($99 seems very Apple), I will almost definitely buy the new Airport Extreme, if not a Time Capsule.

Although I hope this isn't the only announcement for today. Final Cut Pro X can't come soon enough. Anyone else?

What do you think:
Airport Express: $69
Airport Extreme: $129
Time Capsule 2TB: $229
Time Capsule 3TB: $299

+1 for FCPX

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
+1 for the cheaper Airport Extreme.
I'm not paying $170 for a router that only has 3 ports. I think I'd rather get something cheaper, with 4 ports, and spend an additional 10 minutes setting it up.

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
I've been thinking about getting an Extreme for a while now, so maybe this will be my jumping on point. Just checking, but if I have an Extreme, can I plug a USB HDD into it and use that for Time machine Backups?

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
Couple of newb Qs
Can the Time machine manage multiple Mac Machines
Can it be used as a NAS box for PC to integrate
Can it be used as a NAS and Time Machine setup for Mac

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
They also predicted a new design with better heat dissipation...

This will be a welcome update, the infamous 18 month old Time Capsule failures were all down to overheating.

I've been thinking about getting an Extreme for a while now, so maybe this will be my jumping on point. Just checking, but if I have an Extreme, can I plug a USB HDD into it and use that for Time machine Backups?

It's not officially supported by Apple but I've been using it for years without any problems.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
This does make sense. Updating the AEBS and Time Capsule before Lion is released is a good idea. They will need to support configuring them using Airport Utility on Snow Leopard anyway so they don't lose anything by releasing it now. It'll be good if people can have these setup and configured before updating their existing Macs to Lion. Releasing the new Mac models with Lion pre-installed also makes sense and is quite a different matter.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2008
Berlin
I wonder if Apple will finally integrate the music airplay with a minijack to other devices than the AirPort Express.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
3TB HD should be plug&play, it's regular 3.5" SATA drive.
So long as the OS on the device supports GPT partitioning and 4k sector partition alignment, yes. Even if these features were already there it would still require some testing.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
BTW, a NAS? With one drive? I never did get why the time capsule has just one drive.

Its no NAS...Its a backup appliance.
(and you could think of you Imac or Mbp HDD as first drive and the timecapsule as seccond.)

BUT PLEAS let it come soon... I sold all my non-apple hardware, and have no back-up at the moment... I am waiting for this thing for 3 months now.... Pleas hurry.. this thing is not depended on Lion, so launch it today pleas.

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I hope that the new time capsules are better than the current ones the read reason I bought a airport extreme and not a time capsule was because of the price and also the reviews on the apple site all were negative and said that it only lasted 18 months and the it would not work and you would lose all your info yikes:(.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
BTW, a NAS? With one drive? I never did get why the time capsule has just one drive.
It is still Network Attached Storage, but I agree one non-user replaceable drive is a major drawback and one that really turns me off the device. I may well stick to using AEBS devices and see if I can use an alternative way to cache Mac OS X software updates to using the new Time Capsule (assuming this offers this). Having said that Apple likes to things keep simple. Your average consumer doesn't understand RAID or the benefits it offers. A two drive RAID-1 array provides high-availability/redundancy allowing you to keep on working if one drive fails, replacing the disk to restore redundancy. RAID isn't a backup, so important data primarily stored on a RAID array should be backed up regularly e.g. to a USB drive.

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
Yeah, Time Capsule is backup and it's better than no backup, but when your time capsule drive crashes you lose a *lot* of history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.