Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's media event, Apple introduced a revamped universal version of its iMovie application for iOS devices, bringing compatibility to the iPad for the first time. The company also unveiled a brand-new GarageBand application for the iPad. The new apps will be priced at $4.99 each and will be available alongside the March 11th launch of the iPad 2.

142115-ipad_imovie_500.jpg

iMovie allows users to shoot video directly from the iPad and have it appear right in the application for easy editing. With new themes and still photo support, users can easily drag-and-drop footage, photos, and text to quickly create high-quality video right on their tablet devices. With a Precision Editor built right into the timeline on the iPad, clip management is straightforward and simple.

Other new features include sound effects, audio waveforms, multiple audio tracks for easy voiceovers, and new tools for sharing to the web, among devices, and via AirPlay.

142113-ipad_garageband_500.jpg

GarageBand for iPad offers libraries of virtual instruments with both simple touch and more complex "smart" functionalities to allow users to sound like expert musicians with simple gestures. Recording studio functionality allows users to mix together various tracks, with various amps and effects to adjust the sound of individual instruments. The new GarageBand also includes a number of sharing tools to allow users to export their work via email or to their iTunes libraries. GarageBand for iPad is also compatible with the Mac version of GarageBand, allowing for easy movement of projects between devices.

Article Link: Apple to Launch iMovie and GarageBand for iPad on March 11th

sunny1985

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Mobileme would have been more exciting. i think i'll pass! but defiantly good idea or any music producers. I would imagine theres only a small market.

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I bet Damon Albarn would have liked to have had Garage Band on his iPad when he made The Fall (the most recent Gorillaz album).

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
GarageBand?

Will it work on my 1st Gen? :-/

This is what I'd really like to know too.

Knowing Apple's skills with marketing, I think the way they would best spin the "iPad 1.5" as a "must buy" device is by providing all this cool new software that only runs on the new hardware. The folks who don't yet have an iPad get wowed by the new software, and those of us that do... get wowed enough to upgrade.

Devious, but it works.

It's right in line with this crossroads sign they keep showing and this philosophy stuff that Steve keeps crowing about. It's not just about new hardware, but about awesome software that works seamlessly with it.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Have you guys seen some video from GarageBand? Pretty amazing. String bending, pitch bending on synth keys by sliding your finger on key after pressing. Strength of note by accelerometer action when key is pressed. I'll definitely use it.

I could have used iMovie on my vacation last year to prep for our final video too.

All for $10

I'm sure there will be plenty of people interested.

TheAppleDragon

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
This is what I'd really like to know too.

Knowing Apple's skills with marketing, I think the way they would best spin the "iPad 1.5" as a "must buy" device is by providing all this cool new software that only runs on the new hardware. The folks who don't yet have an iPad get wowed by the new software, and those of us that do... get wowed enough to upgrade.

Devious, but it works.

It's right in line with this crossroads sign they keep showing and this philosophy stuff that Steve keeps crowing about. It's not just about new hardware, but about awesome software that works seamlessly with it.
*please be wrong here, please be wrong...*

I knew we should've gotten it at Best Buy...

regandarcy

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
2 Questions:

1) if you have an original 3G + wifi iPad with an unlimited data plan from AT&T that is still active, and you upgrade and buy one of the new 3G + wifi iPad 2s.....can you transfer your unlimited data plan over to the new iPad from the old? I ask because AT&T doesn't offer the unlimited data plan anymore, and I will lose it if I cancel. Want to know if I can just transfer it from one iPad to another to keep it going.

2) i know the original ipad doesnt have a camera, but will the new iMovie app work on it? Can I just load video into it with the camera kit and edit it?

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
2 Questions:

1) if you have an original 3G + wifi iPad with an unlimited data plan from AT&T that is still active, and you upgrade and buy one of the new 3G + wifi iPad 2s.....can you transfer your unlimited data plan over to the new iPad from the old? I ask because AT&T doesn't offer the unlimited data plan anymore, and I will lose it if I cancel. Want to know if I can just transfer it from one iPad to another to keep it going.

2) i know the original ipad doesnt have a camera, but will the new iMovie app work on it? Can I just load video into it with the camera kit and edit it?

You might be able to just swap micro-sim cards from the old iPad to the new iPad 2

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Dang, I was going to hold out on buying an ipad 2 already having an ipad 1, but the new garageband makes me want to upgrade... Must resist urge...

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
2 Questions:

Those are my questions, too. I wonder if Apple and/or ATT will tell us. Also, if I bought the iMovie app for the iPhone, will it now be a universal app, or do we have to buy an iPad version of iMovie?

mpb2000

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
No iPhoto!?!

How is it that Apple decided to make iMovie and GarageBand for the iPad, but not iPhoto? iMovie and GarageBand are certainly more processor/memory intensive than iPhoto. They already have the photo album part down, all they had to do was implement some minimal photo editing, tagging, albums, etc and they would have had iPhoto. The iPad interface is so perfect for iPhoto and they skipped it. I was so excited when they said 2 new apps and the first was iMovie. I was all ready to see the second one be iPhoto...and then it wasn't. Don't get me wrong, iMovie and GarageBand look cool (especially the GarageBand/iPad interface), but doing any real video editing on the iPad just going to happen, especially with HD video. If iPhoto was available, I would be buying one of these. Guess I'll save my money and hope they figure it out. Do people think we could see iPhoto released as an app at some point before the next iPad release? That sure would be nice. I just don't understand why they wouldn't include it...

chris8535

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
No love for iPad 1

The fact that Garageband and iMovie wont work on my iPad stings a great deal. It might be hardware intensive to do multi-video track editing on the iPad's limited ram... but still... its not that old and already can't do the key feature of the platform.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Well I think they have just shot themselves in the foot. iPads less than a year old become obsolete. Not a very good advert is it.

Yep, it is obsolete now. Better throw mine in the trash. Kidding aside, I will be a little disappointed if there is no GarageBand for the original iPad. I don't see anything on the website to indicate it is for the iPad 2 only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.