Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
I actually don't find their current lineup too bloated (other than I would remove the Air 2 and the mini 2, keeping the latest 9.7" and 7.9" iPads only... but then I don't run a large company so what do I know?)

The Watch page, however, seems incredibly complicated.

Really though, you don't? There's nothing convoluted to you about having:

iPad 2
iPad Air 2
iPad Mini 2
iPad Mini 4
iPad Pro 9.7
iPad Pro 12.9

Have ever you tried to explain to someone non-technical which iPad they should buy? If you list all that and try to explain the differences, their eyes will glaze over. If anything, they greatly simplified the Apple Watch lineup, at least now you don't have 3 lines with different names, it's just Apple Watch and you choose which case material and your band. Done. If you want to go premium, you pick Hermes or Edition.

Reactions: oneteam

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I think they should treat them like Macs, once updated don't keep the previous ones around.
Isn't that the ultimate form over function? Stop selling the previous year models just because it insults our sense of neatness of the naming lineup?

Have you ever wondered why Apple is keeping the previous model around in their iOS lineup but not in their Mac lineup? The reason is simply that the improvements year over year in the iOS models are enough to justify two price brackets. With Macs, that is much less so. You need bigger differences to over parallel lines. You also have CPU speed and RAM options within a given Mac line, something you don't have with iOS models (for good reason, even Android devices don't come with such options).

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Apple, this time don't forget to ship them with an operating system if you truly want them to be professional products.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wonder if they'll add 3D Touch to iPads...?

Good question. Tim Cook stated 3D Touch was difficult to incorporate on the iPhone. With a much larger screen, the haptic feedback most likely would not be present. If 3D Touch does happen on the newer models, it would be a factor for me in upgrading.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Well, this shows Apple has no understanding about the professional device market because NO professional will opt to use a 7.9" screen all day long. Something is pro because it becomes a tool that a professional can't live without. Not seeing a lot of people dumping their PC workstations or laptops for an iPad Pro.

iPad Pro in any size is still not something people will use exclusively for their job, and this is why they are not "Pro" products at all. Compared to something like the Surface Pro, which people use as their only device, most people have an iPad Pro sitting on their desk and used occasionally, they are still "casual" use products by and far.

Give me the ability to connect external monitors (and not just mirror to an external display with AirPlay), support a mouse, and maybe even allow to install VM to drive other OS or OS X applications seamlessly, you know, like a freakin Surface Pro, and maybe Apple will finally offer a real professional tool. But then Apple does not want their iPad Pro to be TOO professional because that will kill their MacBook Pro sales.

Ultimately, iPad Pro can't be called professional until it can be used to develop iPad apps on it. Hell, I can even develop iOS apps on a Surface Pro.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
A smart connector on the iPad mini makes no sense at all if we're to assume that connector will be used for a keyboard designed to be of similar size. Unless Apple makes a universal smart keyboard (which, given how cramped typing on the 9.7" model's keyboard is compared to the 12.9" model's keyboard, would actually make a ton of sense), a 7.9" smart keyboard would be ridiculous.

Also, given how ignored the iPad mini has been compared to the other size categories of iPad in recent years, this wouldn't make the most sense.

Sorry guys. I'm a huge fan of the iPad mini, but I'm not buying that it has a future as is predicted here.

stubbornapple

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Washington, DCish
The only first generation apple device I have ever bought was the first iPad mini and loved the size of it. Eventually I sold it and got the Air 2 when that was released, but do miss the mini from time to time. Glad it might still live on.

mac4good84

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2012
Apple, this time don't forget to ship them with an operating system if you truly want them to be professional products.

THIS. It boggles the mind why there isn't a version of iOS specifically for the iPad Pro, particularly the 12.9 inch model that's wasting all of that space for starters. It's flat out comical at this point. I used a 12.9 inch before returning it and it was pretty glaring to see that home screen so underutilized. If they want to distinguish the Pro models from the regular ones, fix the software.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I don't see to much demand for having three different sizes. I would take out the mini and de "maxi" and with the saved money i would make a all new iPad 9,7" with an affordable price.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
iPad has no reason to go so thin the camera protrudes. Ive really needs to rethink his designs. Apple is quickly losing it's design aesthetic. I suppose that's what helps sell their "cases" so you can lay their products flat on a desk, without it being all wobbly.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It seems like the iPhone 7 was just a test phone to see how the reactions were towards no headphone jack. Now they re-introduce the headphone jack in the iPads? LOL

There not re-introducing anything. The headphone jack has always existed on the iPad line. Furthermore, how does the iPhone 7 relate to anything or is a test with the iPad?

Reactions: Saturn007

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
A smart connector on the iPad mini makes no sense at all if we're to assume that connector will be used for a keyboard designed to be of similar size. Unless Apple makes a universal smart keyboard (which, given how cramped typing on the 9.7" model's keyboard is compared to the 12.9" model's keyboard, would actually make a ton of sense), a 7.9" smart keyboard would be ridiculous.

I agree, I never expected a mini Pro if it materialises, to include the smart connector for that reason but then Apple may classify a Pro device as having all three of Smart Connector, Pencil Support and quad speakers and so have to include it by default, if for no other reason that marketing.
Me personally, I much prefer my folding BT keyboard for the few times I want to use a physical keyboard with the mini. A physical keyboard the width of the mini screen in landscape serves little benefit to me but there will be plenty that will be happy to fork out for the convenience of a combined case/keyboard.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I have to disagree.

A streamlined product line made sense when Apple had limited resources and couldn't afford to engage on too many fronts. So it was better off focusing all its resources on making one great product than 2 mediocre ones.

Apple today is a lot richer, has a lot more resources at its disposal, and serves a way wider clientele. I don't think Apple can cater to so diverse a customer base with just 1 or 2 iPad variants.

3 variants of iPhones and iPads sound about right.

And I have to disagree. A fragmented product line is what got Apple into trouble in the first place.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Do they think nobody is going to buy an iPad if it doesn't have the word "Pro" on it?

It's just a gimmick to keep the prices high.

What are they going to do in a few years when the "Pro" brand becomes devalued - call it "Super Pro" or something.

Reactions: Stella

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Glad the mini is finally getting the love it deserves. Even tho it's close in size to the iPhone plus...it's still significantly bigger for more productive uses - yet smaller and more portable than the larger ipads. I'm also grandfathered in on the original ATT unlimited data plan. So I can't wait to update my iPad mini 4 to this iPad mini pro. I use my iPad mini as a digital sketchbook, so I am excited for apple pencil support. It's about time!

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I really want to upgrade to a new iPad Pro from my iPad 3 but the costs are simply staggering these days even for the basic model - this is before adding the nice extras or getting a better model with better internals.

I fear Apples pricing strategy might have left me behind :( and that makes me a sad bunny thinking I can't have nice things again.

To think I used to auto buy the latest bit of kit after watching the anouncement :(

MiniMe77

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2015
I have never owned an iPad Mini. I currently have an iPad Air 1 (since end of 2013 I think). For some reason I am very tempted to make my next purchase an iPad Mini to use primarily on the go. If it's the 'Pro' version, even better. Then I would consider the 12.9 version for home use.

spherox

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
WE DON'T NEED NEW iPads! The 12.9" iPad needs a software update to optimize the OS so it's not just a bigger iPhone, adding a "true-tone" display and a better camera doesn't do that. I can do basically everything on my iPhone 5s as I can my 12.9" iPad, besides basic split-view options which barely support most Apps. That's pathetic. Laptop replacement my ass.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Mac Otakara obviously has strong sources, but there's no way Apple will release a 9.7, 10.1, and/or 10.5. They are seeing these sizes release, but what they are seeing are test samples to find the right size. Apple did the same thing with the iPhone 6. They're doing the same with iPad.

Reactions: ThaRuler

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I really want to upgrade to a new iPad Pro from my iPad 3 but the costs are simply staggering these days even for the basic model
Staggering as $100 more than what you paid for your iPad 3 (entry level model)? Or staggering as in $50 more to get twice the storage (128 GB 9.7" iPad Pro: $750 vs 64 GB iPad 3: $700)? Or as in exactly the same if comparing the 32 GB iPad 3 ($600) to the 32 GB 9.7" iPad Pro ($600)

Reactions: MyopicPaideia
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.