Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mba_late_2010_iphone_4_obsolete.jpg
Apple will add all iPhone 4 models, the late 2010 13-inch MacBook Air, third-generation AirPort Extreme, and mid 2009 AirPort Time Capsule to its vintage and obsolete products list starting October 31, according to Japanese website Mac Otakara.

Apple products on the vintage and obsolete list are no longer eligible for hardware service, beyond a few exceptions. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five years but less than seven years ago, while obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Each of the products added were released between 2009 and 2010.

The report specifically pertains to Apple's vintage and obsolete products list in Japan, but the new additions will more than likely extend to the United States, Australia, Canada, and the rest of the Asia-Pacific and Europe regions.

Apple already obsoleted CDMA models of the iPhone 4 around the world last month, while the late 2010 MacBook Air joins the mid 2009 iMac, 2010 Mac mini, and mid 2010 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro among Apple's recently obsoleted notebooks.

macOS Sierra remains compatible with the late 2010 MacBook Air, while the iPhone 4 cannot be updated beyond iOS 7.1.2. Read how to identify your MacBook Air model or how to identify your iPhone model.

The current MacBook Air has not been updated in 584 days. Refreshed models with USB-C ports are expected later this month at the earliest.

Article Link: Apple to Obsolete iPhone 4 and Late 2010 MacBook Air on October 31

Reactions: Dydegu

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
i gave my mom an iPhone 4. after a month, her icloud contacts got erased out of nowhere. searched online, there's a huge thread of this unresolved icloud bug. seems to happen every month in which i have to do an icloud restore. annoying.

i filed a radar but apple closed the radar and said to simply update to iOS 8 (which iPhone 4 cannot do). dick move by apple.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I know people that are still using iPhone 4/4S. Imo one of the best industrial design. Alas, the internals don't age as well as the design, although the A5 had a great run.
Although I understand Apple's perspective of moving onwards in technology and software, sometimes I wish Apple would re-design iOS so older iOS can be easily patched for security bugs without having to convert the whole OS to the new version. I am looking at my iPhone 5, and I know Apple will just drop it simply because it is 32bit, despite it still capable running iOS10.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Not sure I get it. The iPhone 4 was cut out of the loop ages ago. It's stuck on iOS 7.1.2, released in June 2014. It was already obsoleted in all the ways that matter. So what's with the future tense? It's like issuing a death certificate 2+ years after the funeral.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Geez when it comes to macs, the obsolete and current models , are not that far removed .

Apple is calling 2010 obsolete , and many have little reason to update 2011 and 2012 models, cause it's only spec bumps
[doublepost=1476430533][/doublepost]
The Mac Pro, the Thunderbolt Display..

I think this year the Mac Pro will be discontinued .
[doublepost=1476430668][/doublepost]
Not sure I get it. The iPhone 4 was cut out of the loop ages ago. It's stuck on iOS 7.1.2, released in June 2014. It was already obsoleted in all the ways that matter. So what's with the future tense? It's like issuing a death certificate 2+ years after the funeral.

It means parts and support is gone. Until such time apple still had to support the iPhone 4 by stocking parts etc.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
My late 2010 MBA is still going strong, though now only sees occasional use - mostly when I'm travelling. It was inevitable I guess - not sure it'll get replaced any time soon as my iMac & iPad Mini cover most of my uses.

Lasting 5 years as it has, it's my longest lasting computer and each OS upgrade has given it a new lease of life. Not ready for the scrap heap yet.

Reactions: 5105973

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I still need to get around to replacing my iPhone 4's shattered back plate. Should I go for the OEM back with the Apple logo, the simple plain logo-free back, or go 90s with a transparent glass back so I can see inside my phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.