Apple to Obsolete iPhone 4 and Late 2010 MacBook Air on October 31

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple will add all iPhone 4 models, the late 2010 13-inch MacBook Air, third-generation AirPort Extreme, and mid 2009 AirPort Time Capsule to its vintage and obsolete products list starting October 31, according to Japanese website Mac Otakara.

Apple products on the vintage and obsolete list are no longer eligible for hardware service, beyond a few exceptions. Apple defines vintage products as those that have not been manufactured for more than five years but less than seven years ago, while obsolete products are those that were discontinued more than seven years ago. Each of the products added were released between 2009 and 2010.

The report specifically pertains to Apple's vintage and obsolete products list in Japan, but the new additions will more than likely extend to the United States, Australia, Canada, and the rest of the Asia-Pacific and Europe regions.

Apple already obsoleted CDMA models of the iPhone 4 around the world last month, while the late 2010 MacBook Air joins the mid 2009 iMac, 2010 Mac mini, and mid 2010 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro among Apple's recently obsoleted notebooks.

macOS Sierra remains compatible with the late 2010 MacBook Air, while the iPhone 4 cannot be updated beyond iOS 7.1.2. Read how to identify your MacBook Air model or how to identify your iPhone model.

The current MacBook Air has not been updated in 584 days. Refreshed models with USB-C ports are expected later this month at the earliest.

Article Link: Apple to Obsolete iPhone 4 and Late 2010 MacBook Air on October 31

2. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

Waiting for the day the products they are selling are that old they class them as vintage

3. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

and still it's the best iPhone ever :)
    and I hope next iPhone will change this :D

4. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

i gave my mom an iPhone 4. after a month, her icloud contacts got erased out of nowhere. searched online, there's a huge thread of this unresolved icloud bug. seems to happen every month in which i have to do an icloud restore. annoying.

i filed a radar but apple closed the radar and said to simply update to iOS 8 (which iPhone 4 cannot do). dick move by apple.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Maybe they will announce new Airs and MBPs on that day as well?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ugh. Late 2010 air. That means I got s year or so left on a 2011 mbp? :(

7. ditilt macrumors newbie

8. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

same here :rolleyes:

9. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Think of it as a buying opportunity. :)

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Certainly not a buying opportunity for outdated hardware.

12. pika2000 macrumors 601

I know people that are still using iPhone 4/4S. Imo one of the best industrial design. Alas, the internals don't age as well as the design, although the A5 had a great run.
    Although I understand Apple's perspective of moving onwards in technology and software, sometimes I wish Apple would re-design iOS so older iOS can be easily patched for security bugs without having to convert the whole OS to the new version. I am looking at my iPhone 5, and I know Apple will just drop it simply because it is 32bit, despite it still capable running iOS10.

13. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Sad. Never thought I'd see the day this old adage would apply to Apple tech hardware but it's true...

They just don't make them like they used to.

14. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

At this rate all Apple computers are going to be obsoleted by the time they release a new one.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2016 ---
    There I fixed it for you.

15. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

16. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Not sure I get it. The iPhone 4 was cut out of the loop ages ago. It's stuck on iOS 7.1.2, released in June 2014. It was already obsoleted in all the ways that matter. So what's with the future tense? It's like issuing a death certificate 2+ years after the funeral.

17. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Geez when it comes to macs, the obsolete and current models , are not that far removed .

Apple is calling 2010 obsolete , and many have little reason to update 2011 and 2012 models, cause it's only spec bumps
    I think this year the Mac Pro will be discontinued .
    It means parts and support is gone. Until such time apple still had to support the iPhone 4 by stocking parts etc.

18. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

My late 2010 MBA is still going strong, though now only sees occasional use - mostly when I'm travelling. It was inevitable I guess - not sure it'll get replaced any time soon as my iMac & iPad Mini cover most of my uses.

Lasting 5 years as it has, it's my longest lasting computer and each OS upgrade has given it a new lease of life. Not ready for the scrap heap yet.

19. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

I still need to get around to replacing my iPhone 4's shattered back plate. Should I go for the OEM back with the Apple logo, the simple plain logo-free back, or go 90s with a transparent glass back so I can see inside my phone?

20. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

And my iMac 27" too , ahhhhhh :confused:
    Good that I got a MBP 13" last year as main system.

21. jdillings macrumors 68000

I misread the title as "Apple to Obsolete Entire Mac Lineup"

22. Max Portakabin Suspended

iPhone 4 an example of Apple at the top of their game. The true manifestation of utility and design that Tim keeps banging on about.

23. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

The classic Mac Pro was still being sold told customers in 2013. Despite there being a 2010 and a 2012 model they are essentially the same computer, they can't really obsolete one without the other. It's got a few more years left in in it before it hits this list.

24. Edward Lyons macrumors newbie

Apple! Great at discontinuing products. How about actually making them? I'll go back to the Apple store when I'm in the market for a fancy looking watch band. Oh that's right. I don't wear a watch.