Apple to Offer Seasons Pass for TV Shows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's been busy with updates to their iTunes Music store model. Yesterday, Apple introduced a Multi-pass system to pre-purchase upcoming episodes of daily TV shows a month in advance. The new system will automatically download new shows as they are aired. (16 new episodes for one month at $9.99).

Now, Apple's iTunes site reveals that Apple will be introducing a "Season Pass" for weekly TV shows. This appears to be the natural progression of the Multi-Pass.

Buy a Season Pass and get a whole season of a TV show, past or present, at a discount.
The system doesn't appear to be in effect yet, as the current iTunes "Buy All Episodes" button still reflects the same pricing as buying each TV show individually.

Again, all of these systems still represent a buy-to-own model, which means that the podcasts/shows will continue to play after you are no longer an active subscriber.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
That's awesome! I'd much rather get the whole season on iTunes for a discount than recod TV. This is really getting exciting ... once they discount it enough to make it feasible for people to dump their cable, downloading TV will become insanely popular.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Movies next?

This may be foreshadowing the subscription service
being forced by Hollywood for full featured movie
downloads.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
This is exciting news for those who can access it. In australia we dont have it :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Bring the price down around a dollar a show, let me avoid paying for cable (since there aren't that many shows on cable worth my money anyway), offer the shows I want (Galactica at least), and I'm there :) I'll stop worrying about quality and enjoy the ad-free viewing!

Rabbit ears for Lost and PBS + Netflix for movies + BSG on iTunes = all I need :)

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
DMann said:
This may be foreshadowing the subscription service
being forced by Hollywood for full featured movie
downloads.
Not really .. it's just a discounted "buy all" ... you still keep the shows after downloading .. subscriptions usually only give you a short-term licence for the shows/music/movies.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Great news!! We need more content, but I am glad it is still a model where we own the content after we buy it. I can't wait!:cool:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
People use "subscription" to mean just about anything--and iTunes "bulk purchasing in advance" DOES work much like a magazine subscription.

But for music and video, I'd define "subscription" as meaning that you pay a flat amount, and then you watch/listen to whatever you want, as long as you keep subscribing. Like Napster. Like Netflix.

I'd define "rental" as meaning you pay for a SPECIFIC video or music download, but you don't get to keep it forever. (That would be great for movies and TV I think, if it was cheap.)

These Apple passes are neither: you keep the download forever, you simply pay less by committing to a whole batch.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It used to be one type of media and one price fits all. Now we have variety in products and it looks like Apple is going to try various pricing models. More flexibility, but more complexity. I hope they don't scare of skittish customers with too many choices.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
What's the difference between a season-pass and a multi-pass?

Season-pass for once a week shows (e.g. Lost), and multi-pass for daily shows (e.g. Daily Show)?

ScottB

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2005
Britain
That sound's quite cool. Can't say I would see myself buying that, but hey at least they kept the buy to own structure.

camphorsunrise

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2006
Lex Vegas, KY
Personally, I am THRILLED. I love the supscription/bulk purchasing idea! The Multi-Passes and Season Passes will make my life a lot easier. Currently, I work 3rd shift, and it would cost me $120 to get the channels I want on cable (including my broadband service), but I'm really only looking for a couple of shows, ALL which air while I'm asleep, so I'd have to pay an additional $12.95 a month to Insight for a DVR box to record them, and I still wouldn't be able to pull those off the hdd in the cable box because they've disconnected the USB ports... So not only does the new system save me money, but I can take my favorite TV shows with me and watch them at work which saves me valuable time. (You'll know what I mean if you've ever been a night shift person...)

I'm just hoping for some HBO and Showtime content... I'd love to be able to pick up QaF, The Sopranos, and The L Word legally and conveniently.

SemperMac

macrumors member
Shamus said:
This is exciting news for those who can access it. In australia we dont have it :(
Ditto here in the Kingdom of Denmark!
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/da.html

BTW, in my country we are also still missing out on the "Music Videos" and "Short Films" part of iTunes and last, but not least, a lot of modern Danish music is missing in iTMS because of an ongoing dispute between Apple and Phonofile Denmark.

Generally speaking Apple as a company is present in our country with a branch office and also a Danish website resp. webstore (the latter in English though), but as a brand almost 100% invisible in the Danish media (print, tv, radio and outdoor).

If it wasn't for the iPods and us unpaid "evangelist" spreading the word also via http://www.mediamac.dk and http://www.macnyt.dk I think it would be even worse here in Denmark (e.g. no Apple/Mac presence at all).

Denmark is without exaggeration a Microsoft Crown Colony and it's "killing" me that Apple isn't doing a damn thing to change this!!!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
EricNau said:
What's the difference between a season-pass and a multi-pass?

Season-pass for once a week shows (e.g. Lost), and multi-pass for daily shows (e.g. Daily Show)?
Season pass is for a full television season (typically 22-ish episodes)
Multi-pass is for one month (16 shows => 4 a week) for $9.99.

The season pass prices don't seem to be determined yet.

ar[n] ;)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
arn said:
Season pass is for a full television season (typically 22-ish episodes)
Multi-pass is for one month (16 shows => 4 a week) for $9.99.

The season pass prices don't seem to be determined yet.

ar
Thanks "ar" ;) :)

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Pricing Here!

I can now see you can "Buy Season" of "Deperate Housewives" for $34.99 and get 23 episodes. That's about $1.52 per show; essentially a 24% discount. "Lost" is selling at $34.99 too for a season and you get 25 episodes.

Enterprise8875

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
I am going to guess the season pass wil go for $19.99. The average for a TV show season is 22 episodes so $20 would be less then half the cost if you bought them for 1.99 each.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Enterprise8875 said:
I am going to guess the season pass wil go for $19.99. The average for a TV show season is 22 episodes so $20 would be less then half the cost if you bought them for 1.99 each.
Will a show that's below or above average in the actual # of episodes have a below-average or above-average price? And what if a show gets canceled midseason?

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Shamus said:
Shamus, maaate, you just have to find someone with an American credit card. You pay them, and they buy you a gift certificate. Works like a charm for me in France. One catch for young players - you have to create an account on the American store (done whilst redeeming the gift certificate). If you try to use your Aussie account, the system whinges...

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
demallien said:
Shamus, maaate, you just have to find someone with an American credit card. You pay them, and they buy you a gift certificate.
I wonder if you could start a business with this concept. Hmm...

Enterprise8875

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2005
Doctor Q said:
Will a show that's below or above average in the actual # of episodes have a below-average or above-average price? And what if a show gets canceled midseason?
Good question, I wonder what Apple will do. Will they do a Season Pass fixed price where every season pass costs to same regardless of how many episodes the season has or will they adjust it? I would assume they will go for adjusted prices because some shows have very different season show numbers(like Battlestar Galacticas first season only had 13 while the second has 20). And I have no idea what Apple will do if a show gets canceled.

lorien

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Oslo, Norway
SemperMac said:
Ditto here in the Kingdom of Denmark!
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/da.html

BTW, in my country we are also still missing out on the "Music Videos" and "Short Films" part of iTunes and last, but not least, a lot of modern Danish music is missing in iTMS because of an ongoing dispute between Apple and Phonofile Denmark.

Generally speaking Apple as a company is present in our country with a branch office and also a Danish website resp. webstore (the latter in English though), but as a brand almost 100% invisible in the Danish media (print, tv, radio and outdoor).

If it wasn't for the iPods and us unpaid "evangelist" spreading the word also via http://www.mediamac.dk and http://www.macnyt.dk I think it would be even worse here in Denmark (e.g. no Apple/Mac presence at all).

Denmark is without exaggeration a Microsoft Crown Colony and it's "killing" me that Apple isn't doing a damn thing to change this!!!
It's the same in Norway *sigh*
Nearly everyone seems to have an iPod and the sooner they get more content on iTunes the sooner Apple gets to siphon off the wealth from one of the world's richest nations. Sure Scandinavia does not represent a large market, but it sure is loaded! :cool:

macorama

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
Not long till movies then

Definitely sounds like Apple are heading in the direction of a video on demand version of NetFlix. Netflix & Blockbuster etc are really going to be in trouble when that happens - the worst thing about those services is waiting for your discs. If you're downloading your movies it won't be instant, but it'll be much quicker than waiting for the mail...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.