Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PocketGamer.biz reports that Apple is planning on introducing a dedicated section in the iTunes App Store for premium games priced at $19.99.
However, the initiative will only be open to a restricted number of large publishers, rather than the thousands of smaller developers currently selling their titles on the main App Store.
PocketGamer's sources had no details on when this might happen, although Apple's WWDC conference in June was suggested as a possible launch venue.

The move may help Apple combat the natural trend towards low priced Apps, and would also indicate that Apple may be listening to long-running developer complaints that the Top 100 lists tend to reward cheaper but higher volume apps.

Being able to sustain higher priced apps in the App Store is, of course, in Apple's best interest. This is not the first time Apple has tried to promote these premium apps. In November, Apple invited select app developers to a press event highlighting many $9.99 apps and games. While many high profile have been introduced at the $9.99 price point, many have quickly seen price drops in the highly competitive App Store market.

Article Link: Apple to Open $19.99 Premium Games Section in App Store?

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
If the games are good enough to justify the price... no problem. If it's big game company shovelware... no sale.

I wonder how much 'premium' games will cost in the UK (sigh).

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
There are definitely apps that I would pay $20 dollars for, but games are not amongst them. I just don't think this is a viable gaming platform. The accelerometer is fickle and game controllers need more buttons (on-screen buttons just don't do it for me).

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I think that this is a great move. Some really good games (which may be highly priced compared to others) are getting mixed in with the regular games that are priced at $1-$2 and are getting pushed out of attention. If this were implemented, then I think that these games would get the recognition they deserve.

I think that a better price set though would be $15, as very few apps in the game section break that barrier right now, and $20 seems a bit high. I think that in order to publish an app to this category though, they should have to be specially registered, have the apps closely examined by Apple to determine that they are indeed worthy of being classified as a premium game and ensure that there are no functionality bugs with the games (like some that have crashed regularly on startup). If they are going to be classifying them as premium games, then the should work like some, and not pushed out quickly to generate sales.

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Thats great and all but instead of games, how about a premium section for business type apps. I am actually sick of the bizzillion games in the app store.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
apple should rather set up a "featured app" list to advertize premium apps.

the $19.99 pricepoint seems quite arbitrary to me. within a short time there will be a number of junk apps in this section because everybody will try to sell as quick and as many apps for $19.99 as possible. so the companies will rush and throw whatever they have into this segment hoping that user don't check and buy.

if they truly only feature great apps in a special high quality section then they will be noticed and will sell at a premium price.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
If the apps have enough to them and the developers ideas are carried out well then it will work.

My only gripe with some of these games are the controls. Like someone mentioned, the accelerometer is not 100% reliable and the touchscreen isn't always laid out the best. Some games I have bought are rarely played because of this. The most played game I have is monopoly for the simple fact it is fun and easy to control.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If the games are good enough to justify the price... no problem. If it's big game company shovelware... no sale.

I wonder how much 'premium' games will cost in the UK (sigh).

Omnifocus is $19.99 / £11.99 so expect them to be £11.99.

There are definitely apps that I would pay $20 dollars for, but games are not amongst them.

I agree, while there are some good games on the iPhone I would quite like to see other applications getting a premium store for themselves as well.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
apple should rather set up a "featured app" list to advertize premium apps.

the $19.99 pricepoint seems quite arbitrary to me. within a short time there will be a number of junk apps in this section because everybody will try to sell as quick and as many apps for $19.99 as possible. so the companies will rush and throw whatever they have into this segment hoping that user don't check and buy.

Only select developers would be allowed in this special section according to the rumor. So, while any developer can price their game at whatever price they want, to be featured in this $19.99 section, it probably has to be approved by Apple. Essentially, this is a "featured" section.

arn

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Thats great and all but instead of games, how about a premium section for business type apps. I am actually sick of the bizzillion games in the app store.
I think that if Apple were to follow through with this, it would be a way to easily settle down the activity of the gaming section, and to truly promote the gamily capabilities of the iPhone/iPod touch and the game section of the App Store. Currently the gaming section dominates the App Store, and Apps in that section seem somewhat "lower quality" for the most part. And with Apple's classifying of the iPhone and iPod touch as gaming devices, they should probably have some true games that can rival other devices of similar nature. Currently finding some of those "true games" that are worth the buck is kind of hard because they get mixed in with all the other free or low-priced games in the App Store, I think that this is a great move for the App Store if it were to happen.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
It's a step in the right direction, BUT...

How about tiers for the rest of us indie developers.

Top 20 $1 and up
Top 20 $5 and up
Top 20 $10 and up
Top 20 $15 and up

Notice the AND UP. This might be even better as popular expensive games could (if exceptionally popular) encroach on the lower priced lists. This, in my mind, is VERY good for promoting quality game development.

This way, customers can actually see the games that match a better value/quality at the prices they are willing to pay. More satisfied customers, more satisfied developers. Good, right?

This $20 deal would have to have some VERY, VERY nice games to take off in the current market, but I'm all for THAT!

As things settle down into tiers more nicely (rather than plummet to the bottom fast to get recognition as it currently is) tiers in a range of prices could work, too.

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
So they really are pushing this whole "gaming device" marketing then huh.. Just thought the iPhone commercial for games was to make sure sony stopped making crappy computers as well as microsoft with software.

iLife isnt just software.. It's the next generation of computer users. And Apple is the tit upon which we will suckle.

<3:apple::apple:

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I think this is a good idea, but if and only if this special
promotion is really based on quality and not just on the publishers company name. Since Apple checks every game before it is sold on iTunes it would be no problem for them to give this bonus to titles that are of great quality no matter if they are from EA or from some unknown developer.

Christian

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I would pay $20 for an APP that works seamlessly between my Touch and Mac. Meaning, it is fully featured on the Mac and intelligently featured for use on the Touch.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Games! Games! Games! iPhone! iPhone! iPhone! Enough already! How about some updated hardware like Mac-Mini, Mac Pro and some other choices for once!

Either that or just rename this site and Apple to iPhone-rumors.com and The Apple Phone Company! errrrrrrr! :rolleyes:

oban14

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
I just spent 4.99 on Electronic Arts' version of Tetris, which is normally 9.99.

I spent about 4.99 too much.

Tris, from the homebrew community is ten times better. Between Tetris and the constant crashing (and now not loading) of Sim City (not to mention all the bugs in sim city) I don't think I'm paying for another game on my iphone ever again.

The iPhone is a great device, but if I'm going to spend 20 bucks on a game, it's going to be for my PSP which is certainly better for gaming.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
This is great news. If premium games were sold at that price, we might start seeing many more advanced games like Grand Theft Auto (which articles have mentioned people working on for the iPhone) and many other major games played on the XBox 360, PS3, and of course the PSP. Apple needs to work on getting the quality of the games in the App Store to the level of the games on the PSP. This could be a new beginning for the iPhone!

olternaut

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
There are definitely apps that I would pay $20 dollars for, but games are not amongst them. I just don't think this is a viable gaming platform. The accelerometer is fickle and game controllers need more buttons (on-screen buttons just don't do it for me).

My hope is that these particular games that are going to be introduced in June...ish will coincide with the debut of a brand new generation iphone that might have an extra control or two besides the touchscreen. That, in combination with the touchscreen, would transform the platform into a devastating gaming device.

darwinian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
In R4, more or less
I don't play many games or have an iPod touch anymore, but there are two issues that I'm curious about from my 8-bit Nintendo days.

(1) How fast is the response time for pressing a button or tilting or whatever? Is this on the order of tens of ms or hundreds?
(2) What is the failure rate of button pressing on the virtual controller? I realize this varies from person to person, but my experience with the touch was that it was far too high when trying to pause a song; it would drive me nuts if that meant the difference between a well timed through ball (football) or getting the ball stolen from me.

chuxdaddy

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
las vegas
I use the iphone for what it is, a phone. While it has many other uses and abilities i don't think that many people are interested in buying expensive games for their phones. If I want to buy games in that price range of 19.99, I might as well get a psp or gameboy. The iphone is not for serious gaming, just for casual game play to waste time.

just my 3 cents.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Games! Games! Games! iPhone! iPhone! iPhone! Enough already! How about some updated hardware like Mac-Mini, Mac Pro and some other choices for once!

Either that or just rename this site and Apple to iPhone-rumors.com and The Apple Phone Company! errrrrrrr! :rolleyes:

If you don't like it go complain to Apple, not here. MR just reports on the news (er, rumors) that's out there, so if you're not hearing about Mac Minis and Mac Pros that means there's no news about them.
Here's another idea, don't read threads in whose subject you have no interest?
I think the premium game area is a good idea. It would help us sift through the chaff to find serious games that are actually worth playing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.