Apple to owner of exploding iPod: don't tell, or no refund

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Synthetickiller, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Synthetickiller macrumors regular

Apple scored a major PR own-goal today as The Times has reported on the case of a man who sought a refund for an iPod that literally exploded, but was offered one by Apple only on the condition that he signs a settlement form keeps the terms and even the existence of the "settlement agreement" completely confidential.

And the story gets even more sinister. In the letter Apple sent Ken Stanborough, it said that any breach of this confidentiality "may result in Apple seeking injunctive relief, damages and legal costs against the defaulting persons or parties."

"I thought it was a very disturbing letter," Stanborough told The Times. "They're putting a life sentence on myself, my daughter and Ellie's mum, not to say anything to anyone. If we inadvertently did say anything, no matter what, they would take litigation against us. I thought that was absolutely appalling. We didn't ask for compensation, we just asked for our money back."

Apple is presumably concerned that if stories of exploding iPods start to circulate widely they will, understandably, make people think twice about buying one. Seattle TV news outfit KIRO 7 recently concluded an investigation in which it found that there had been numerous reports of burning iPods, a fact that the report suggested Apple has been trying to keep quiet.

But these kind of heavy handed tactics only serve to compound the bad publicity generated by such incidents and Apple could be looking at a PR disaster if it doesn't act to resolve this matter soon.

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19567

WOW.

2. iYellow macrumors member

iYellow

Personally, I think thats a load of crap.

A) The girl dropped the ipod. Idiot.
    B) Throwing the ipod out the door is probably the reason why the ipod exploded.
    C)
    Disturbing letter? I'm sorry, but since they have told the world, wouldn't they be sued by now? Hmm?

Your iPod is soiled. Your fault from reason A and B. Anyway, if it did explode, shouldn't you be grateful that your alive?

3. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

The reason why it's big news is because of previous, serious cases of iPods overheating, exploding on their own, or even causing a fire due to extreme overheating.

The fact that an iPod touch exploded, because of a production flaw, and this is how Apple is trying to handle the situation to these innocent people is very shocking. It's a huge news because of the way these people are being treated and handled with over something that is the fault of the company.

One thing is to put the iPod touch down if it feels hot, but it's another if the iPod touch was so hot that it began to burn your hand and some seconds later you find that it explodes on its own. It's just a reaction, and it wouldn't have happened this way either if it wasn't for a production flaw with the iPod. That all retraces back to Apple, and so I see that they should be liable for it and shouldn't be handling the situation the way they are.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What serious cases of iPods overheating? What cases of "exploding on their own"? What cases of "causing a fire"? So far everything that I have seen reported turned out to be largely exaggerated.

Who says this was a production flaw? That iPod had been "dropped". From what height? Do you know it? What evidence do you have of a production flaw, and what evidence do you have that it is Apple's fault?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That and quite frankly I'd fire the first corporate lawyer who "settled" and didn't require a waiver. Anyone thinking Apple wouldn't require one is lacking the intelligence of a 5th grader.

On a side note, I could have sworn this was discussed before.

6. Synthetickiller thread starter macrumors regular

I have THROWN my samsung BJII, and I have dropped many other electronics with the same types of batteries. I have yet to see one explode.

You can really justify the unit exploding b/c it was dropped, really?

FAN BOY..................... shesh. :rolleyes:

7. Synthetickiller thread starter macrumors regular

8. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

9. Kelly Craig macrumors member

Kelly Craig

I love how the lady who claims to not trust apple products anymore was pretending to call Apple for the news on her iPhone, lol

10. Artielange macrumors newbie

Honestly, if you really just watched your ipod explode would you want another one? The least that they could have done was offer them some real hush money.

11. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

According to the article, this was about a "refund", not a "settlement." If Apple were paying these people $1000 for their troubles, I would agree with you. But merely refunding the customer's money for a broken or defective unit?

12. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Ok, that's it. I've lost all faith in Apple. The workers there are idiots, their customer service that I've dealt with in the past days have been awful as well. I don't even think I'll purchase any more upcoming OS X from Apple, or purchase anything from them for that matter.

13. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

A fanboy already, eh?

I don't particularly care whether the ipod was dropped. If I leave the house for work, and my lab knocks against the table, so that my ipod drops to the floor and explodes... I doubt you'd be humping Apple's leg in that situation either.