Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ort888

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2012
So, your argument is they weren't any worse than the other shady industry practices of the time. Ok.

I'm just saying that it isn't really some big scandal. It turned into one because it sounds bad, but I think 99% of people would prefer throttling over a hard reset. Apple can't bend the rules of physics any more than anyone else.

There are plenty of things to be annoyed at apple over... I just don't think this is one.

Should they have communicated the situation better? Yes. But it was a lose lose for them, because if they put out a press release about their choice to throttle, it would have also been big headline news. It was a lose/lose situation...

At the end of the day, it's like most "big" apple scandals. They mostly seem to really offend and anger those who it has zero effect on.

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is such an old story that was all hashed out over and over and over again like 5 years ago. Tons of phones had this exact problem... but rather than throttling, they just let them hard shut off. They just didn't make the headlines because they weren't apple and apple gets the clicks.

I got paid out in the American version of this lawsuit and don't even remember signing up. Recently they sent me a second check since everyone didn't claim.

I'll take the money, but of all the things I would demand satisfaction from Apple about, ironically that wasn't really one. Their biggest mistake in this case was communication. I could make a list of things they've done on purpose that were shadier or more annoying.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
This is such an old story that was all hashed out over and over and over again like 5 years ago. Tons of phones had this exact problem... but rather than throttling, they just let them hard shut off. They just didn't make the headlines because they weren't apple and apple gets the clicks.

Other companies like Samsung and OnePlus made the headlines too. Apple is a more dominant smartphone player in places like North America which is why it could get more attention/headlines.

I'm just saying that it isn't really some big scandal. It turned into one because it sounds bad, but I think 99% of people would prefer throttling over a hard reset. Apple can't bend the rules of physics any more than anyone else.

It’s not some "big scandal." If it was, payment amounts may have been higher than $17.50+ CAD.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Frustrating, because I did an iPhone 7 trade in a few months ago, and have no record of the serial (Threw out the old iPhone 7 box a month ago, no email receipt that I can find)

Edit: Actually... bingo. Found an email for when the 3rd party who handles trade ins received the phone. Logged in to their website, and had the serial on file.

Last edited:

FitzRoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
So, how do you actually check serial numbers or the system is not available yet?
my parents still use iPhone 7...

mike2q

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006

What phones were just unexpectedly shutting down without warning and why have I never heard of this happening to anyone I know? I'm sure it's happened here and there just not anywhere near the scale that would require throttling everyones phones as well. Throttling so bad I might add the phone would hardly be usable. A throttling that was at first denied when at that time Apple would just suggest buying a new iPhone instead of coming clean.

Also, don't tell me phone issues from other manufacturers don't get reported. I follow more than enough tech news to know that's a lie. Phones randomly shutting down at a meaningful scale just isn't happening.

*Apple hid this from you*
*Apple recommended buying a new phone instead of explaining or helping*
*Apple lied about this when confronted*
*Apple came clean but with an excuse*

Whether you want to believe or not,
-->Apple was ripping you off<--

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Does it really make sense to be mad that the phone throttles instead of shutting off without warning? Reason I say that is because whatever task you were doing on the phone that caused the voltage demand to be too high for the phone to provide isn't going to change just because you restarted the phone. It's just going to keep shutting off trying to do that task under the battery conditions I provided in the post above.
It makes to sense tp be mad if you're being lied to and people are willingly ignoring the truth.
This is why people were mad.

fafner

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
Living in a country with a proper winter everyone known that a phone more than a year old was useless in cold conditions because it just shut off and when you went inside you still had a lot of battery left. Everyone would prefer a throttling phone instead of a phone unexpectedly shutting off. When they introduced the “throttle or die swith” I wonder if anyone left the the phone in “full speed and die” mode.

And I’m glad that class action lawsuits is not a thing here. The people having the issue is getting a free Big Mac and the attorneys gets multi million reward. It’s just a scheme to get rich lawyers even richer! A typical fee for a class action lawsuit is 25% often more.

Last edited:
  • Angry

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Living in a country with a proper winter everyone known that a phone more than a year old was useless in cold conditions because it just shut off and when you went inside you still had a lot of battery left. Everyone would prefer a throttling phone instead of a phone unexpectedly shutting off. When they introduced the “throttle or die swith” I wonder if anyone left the the phone in “full speed and die” mode.
That's not what the issue is, nobody is arguing with chemistry, (at least not after being informed of it), it's the dishonest way that Apple handled the situation.
We all know stuff wears out, all of us. We SHOULD all know that as things wear performance will suffer, sometimes negligibly and sometimes noticeably.

The issue is this: Imagine your brake fluid is in need of change.
When you are braking lightly in normal conditions everything seems fine.
When you are braking heavily, the fluid boils and they stop working altogether.
Your car manufacturer quietly does an OTA update on the ECU, (the release notes say the brake by wire system will not now apply the same amount of pressure as previously which means you can still stop, just not quite as quickly).
You notice your brakes aren't as good and take it in to the dealer to complain.
After the technician has completed the assessment and diagnostic, the dealer comes out of the garage and says you need a new car, $X0000 please.............

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
Apple’s just getting themselves in trouble everywhere these days, aren’t they?

Of course, they never admit fault.

Weird comment, as this is about something that happened in 2017 and was really about bad communication from Apple rather than any malicious practice by them.

• Angry

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
They certainly choose the chemistry of their batteries but that's besides the point. They didn't need to throttle their phones for any end user benefits. If you believe they did then a bridge for sale metaphor comes to mind. Other phone manufacturers are somehow able to get by just fine without throttling so defending Apple on this one feels like defending an abusive relationship because you've had some good times together and they didn't mean to hurt you.

When the crux of an argument relies on you "knowing" what someone was or wasn't thinking when they made their decision but which no one else can verify... that sounds like BS to me.

Bonus points for gaslighting any other view point with the "victim mentality" label

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Weird comment, as this is about something that happened in 2017 and was really about bad communication from Apple rather than any malicious practice by them.
It was both.
At best it started as bad comms.
Then it changed into telling customers they needed a new phone even though they knew it was untrue.

Victor Mortimer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2016
There's no guilt to admit to. Apple can't change the chemistry of batteries. They did what needed to be done to keep the phone working and stable.

There was absolutely guilt. Apple slowed down older phones with the intent of convincing people to buy new phones. That's evident from all the stories of people taking perfectly good phones with degraded batteries to Apple stores and being told that they needed new phones.

There SHOULD have been criminal charges.

At least I got a couple checks.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Looks like the site is basically DDoSed right now with people trying to get in

If this goes like almost every other class settlement I've been able to access, the money will be out before I can sign up lol

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Here we go again Quebec! Seems like Quebec is so unique that somehow the throttling was averted geologically.
No phones were throttled nor affected nor had any issues whatsoever even in the -20C winter days that happen.

Seriously, what is this? Why not QC? Is another settlement ongoing for only the Francophones at least? Is it another “it isn’t in French” situation so it’s void?

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
Here we go again Quebec! Seems like Quebec is so unique that somehow the throttling was averted geologically.
No phones were throttled nor affected nor had any issues whatsoever even in the -20C winter days that happen.

Seriously, what is this? Why not QC? Is another settlement ongoing for only the Francophones at least? Is it another “it isn’t in French” situation so it’s void?
I would expect that at least part of it is because Quebec has an entirely different legal system based on civil law versus common law.

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
There's no guilt to admit to. Apple can't change the chemistry of batteries. They did what needed to be done to keep the phone working and stable.
In my opinion, that generation of batteries were either the worst batteries designed or many were defective, and the throttling was a substitute for a recall. I have an iPhone 3 and an iPhone 4S that are both still useable with the original batteries, but I had to replace the battery in my iPhone SE1 and the new battery was also only useable for about a year and a half and now will drain in about 4 hours while sitting powered on and unused or maybe 10 minutes of a call. iOS still indicates 90% health, and indicated 92% when the Apple Store replaced it (at full cost to me) just to see if it would fix it the first time.

If that iPhone SE had been my first Apple device, it would have been my last, as it was easily the worst device and customer service I've had with Apple.

Edit: To clarify, the iPhone SE1 itself was a great device, other than the battery!

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
There was absolutely guilt. Apple slowed down older phones with the intent of convincing people to buy new phones. That's evident from all the stories of people taking perfectly good phones with degraded batteries to Apple stores and being told that they needed new phones.

There SHOULD have been criminal charges.

At least I got a couple checks.
Was there evidence of Apple Store employees actually being aware of the throttling? I thought they didn't know about it any more than the customers, and were just trying to sell you an iPhone like they always are. If there was proof the sales employees knew about the throttling, then I would agree with your opinion, otherwise it is Hanlon's razor... you are attributing malice to those store employees just trying to do their job, but they don't actually know why your iPhone is slow, while they do know this new one is faster and selling one is good for their career.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Was there evidence of Apple Store employees actually being aware of the throttling? I thought they didn't know about it any more than the customers, and were just trying to sell you an iPhone like they always are. If there was proof the sales employees knew about the throttling, then I would agree with your opinion, otherwise it is Hanlon's razor... you are attributing malice to those store employees just trying to do their job, but they don't actually know why your iPhone is slow, while they do know this new one is faster and selling one is good for their career.
At best, and at a stretch you could give the store employees a pass, (but is it realistic to say that none of them knew and didn't report it).
At worst Apple knew, how could they not, and did not pass it down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.