Apple to Prevent iTunes Payment Info Changes on Very Old Versions of iOS, OS X, and Apple TV Software

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has announced that, starting June 30, customers will no longer be able to change their iTunes or App Store payment information from devices running iOS 4.3.5 or earlier, OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, or Apple TV Software 4.4.4 or earlier.

[​IMG]

In an email to customers who may be impacted, Apple said it is implementing this change to continue to ensure that their financial information is protected when they make purchases on the iTunes Store or App Store. For emphasis, this appears to be a proactive move, not the result of a security breach.

Given how old the affected software versions are, relatively few customers should be impacted by this move. iOS 4.3.5 and Apple TV Software 4.4.4 were both released in 2011, while macOS 10.8.5 was seeded in September 2013 as the final update to what was then called OS X Mountain Lion.

If you're using one of these versions on your device and need to change your payment method, Apple says to update your device to the latest version of the software. Of course, this may not be possible on older devices that have been phased out, in which case a newer device with newer software must be used.

The full email to customers courtesy of MacRumors reader Rich:
    The email was also shared on Reddit.

Apple provides more details, instructions on how to update to the latest version of iOS, macOS, and Apple TV software, and steps to change your payment method, in a support document related to this change.

Update: As noted by MacRumors forum member Cdbrawn, this change appears to be in line with the PCI-SSC's requirement that all businesses processing payments online must transition to TLS 1.1 encryption or better by June 30, 2018. The affected iOS, OS X, and Apple TV software versions use TLS 1.0.

Article Link: Apple to Prevent iTunes Payment Info Changes on Very Old Versions of iOS, OS X, and Apple TV Software

2. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Well, I’m glad I don’t use my MacBook late 2006 model anymore. A bit frustrating to do this, I have to admit.

3. Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

I miss those icons, especially that iTunes one. So preferred the design of everything Apple back then, even the hardware.

4. Xavier, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018

Xavier macrumors 68030

Why not just support all software forever? /s

5. vicviper789 macrumors member

I have an iphone4S on ios5 still. The end is coming..

6. now i see it macrumors 68000

7. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Well at least you can still use your web browser on those old devices. Right?

I'm glad Apple doesn't make a car, or they would issue a statement like, for those if you who purchased the Apple Car 1.0 you will no longer be able to change your Apple Car ID account after January 1, 2020, please purchase a new car and recycling your existing one. Have a nice day.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 28, 2018 ---
    You can still upgrade to iOS 8 on your 4S. I did that with mine.

8. Morris macrumors regular

My guess is that they are ramping up the Transport Layer Security (TLS) for communicating with the payment data backend and require stronger encryption. If older versions don't support the required cyphers they won't be able to connect.

The problem is that this sort of stuff is as strong as the weakest link. If you allow weaker encryption for older devices it would reduce security for everyone because attackers can use downgrade attacks by pretending to be an old device. Spending a lot of effort on fixing old software for what is likely a fairly small group of people will not be worth it.

9. Cdbrawn macrumors newbie

Stop the conspiracy theory whining. All companies must stop using TLS 1.0 by June 30 to meet PCI-DSS standards.

These will be the TLS 1.0 OS versions.

Apple are doing what all the large card processors are doing.

10. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

Was going to say the same. There's going to be a lot of older devices from many vendors that are obsoleted by this.

11. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

I’ll swap you for my 4S on iOS9.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Can you not just download a modern web browser that still runs on those operating systems (like Chrome or Firefox) and just update the payment info on the website?

13. Feyl macrumors regular

Feyl

Me too! You can really see the work behind those in comparison with what we have now.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It's not forced obsolesce. You guys want less bloat in new versions of iTunes, then you gotta stop support of legacy versions of it. This is 100% the norm in software development. You can't have backwards compatibility forever.

15. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

who is still running ios 4 and for what reason?
    I have a hardtime believing the hardware itself is still functioning

16. luvbug macrumors member

luvbug

And people wonder why the Internet is so fully of misinformation ....

17. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Yes, but why do that when you can just go online and get angry at Tim Cook?

18. Expobill macrumors 6502a

Expobill

What does this mean? My macmini running elcapitan cannot buy anything with iTunes or Apple store apps?
    What about free apps or past purchases?
    Good

Their is another thread about this topic with only 4 replies, can the powers combines thems, pleeeeease?
    Me
    So I can listen to music clear downstairs on the Bose and itouch
    And fresh boobies!

19. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

I got the email and don’t use these old OS’s, I’m all up to date.

20. Expobill macrumors 6502a

Expobill

Whew, I was very worried.......

21. Klososky macrumors newbie

Klososky

Doesn't this affect second gen Apple TVs? I also got the email and I figured it was relating to either that or my iMac G4 I use as a music server of sorts.

22. SnarkyBear macrumors regular

SnarkyBear

Not really. I have an old (white plastic) MacBook with Snow Leopard and Windows XP on it that I use for playing some REALLY OLD GAMES. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Explorer all have to run older, obsolete versions, as those companies have stopped supporting such old OS's.

23. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

I wasn't aware of this, thank you for sharing. I've updated the article.

24. Expobill macrumors 6502a

Expobill

Please infiltrate apple’s email mainframe and reword their outgoing emails for us in the future then.

25. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You're fine. El Capitan is OS X 10.11. This applies to OS X 10.8.5 or earlier.

And yes, if you were running OS X 10.8.5 or earlier, you would not be able to "purchase" anything, even for $0.00 (Apple considers free apps to be "purchases," even though no money changes hands.)

In the case of Mac Mini, this would affect the Mid-2007 and older models. Every Mini built since then can run at least El Capitan.