MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

ifoAppleStore reports that Apple has agreed to spend nearly $4 million to refurbish a run-down subway station adjacent to its future retail store on Halsted Street in Chicago. In exchange, Apple will receive from the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) a free long-term lease on an unused bus turnaround dividing the subway station from the Apple store that will allow the company to turn the space into a landscaped public park.
Over the years, the CTA's building has fallen behind on maintenance. The paint is peeling, the windows are filthy, an electrical sign has dangling wires, and metal framing is rusting. Inside the building and underground, the station features white tile walls and fluorescent lighting, with hallways leading to two narrow platforms underground.

In the agreement approved at an August 19th Chicago Transit Board meeting, in exchange for the improvements the CTA will lease the bus turnaround to Apple at no cost for 10 years, with options on four, five-year extensions. The CTA will also give Apple "first rights of refusal" for naming the station and placing advertising within the station, if the CTA later decides to offer those rights.
Apple will reportedly spend up to $1,789,000 on its own refurbishment of the exterior of the station building, while it will pay the CTA up to $2,108,000 to perform upgrades on the station's interior. The timeline calls for the work to be completed by September 30, 2010, suggesting an approximate opening date for the store, for which structural steel has already been erected.

161338-apple_subway_halsted_500.jpg

Chicago's North/Clybourn Red Line Station, with Bus Turnaround and Apple Store Construction Site Beyond

Article Link: Apple to Refurbish Subway Station Adjacent to Future Chicago Store

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
They just dont want there future store across the street from a crap hole.

Comment

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
AS long as Apple doesn't start to pay to make sure there are no homeless people or other undesirables disturbing the visual environment of their stores.

(That's what this is what is about no doubt. they don't want a run down station next to their store to detract from the beauty of "the shining apple".)

Comment

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
They just dont want there future store across the street from a crap hole.

No doubt. Some L stations aren't bad as they have been remodeled lately (mainly along the State St. subway—Jackson, Monroe, etc.), but others are atrocious. This should be a welcome improvement.

Comment

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Nice...a new Apple store and a landscaped public park. Now, if the public park had free WiFi, that'd be awesome ;)

Comment

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
Great. The cost of macbooks just went up.

I wonder where the homeless winos and hookers will go. :eek:

Comment

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sweet! I'll have an Apple store that is even closer to me than the Michigan Ave. store. I guess that is what the old gas station is going to be. I was wondering what was being built there for a few months, I guess I know now.

Comment

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
The L usually isn't going to win any design awards, but it's a functionally elegant transit system that gets people where they're going in fairly good time, and without too much hassle. It is certainly in Apple's interest to have a store right next to a station, particularly a freshly refurbished one. I am planning on, if all goes well, moving to Chicago for grad school next year and probably living in Lakeview (preferably near Addison or Sheridan red line), so this would be my Genius Bar. Handy that it's going to be right by the train.

Comment

rustedshut

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2005
This is not very far from the Michigan Ave store. I'm glad there's another store in Chi but, I think they should have placed it much further west or north.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.