Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
No it doesn't. It sizes to contents. This is one of the things Windows switchers really struggle with. But this is entirely off topic here.

Last OT post, I promise: Usually you are right. However in Full Tilt Poker (which the question was referring to) the zoom button actually zooms to the screen size.

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
O.K. I am leaving work right now so I'll snap a few pictures of the "progress" with my iPhone. I'll have some pictures up in about an hour.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
You can thank the stringent planning laws in the UK for the fact that it wasn't just more glass and concrete. Even so, Apple managed to gut the insides.

As does every retailer in every town in every country.

Anyway I can give examples in the US too...

knox_street.jpg

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here are the pictures I took on my way home from work today. The Clybourn Red Line stop looks pretty rag-tag so the upgrades should be welcome. At most construction sites there is a sign that says what is going to be built. There is no such sign at this construction site, I wonder why??

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    543.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0251.JPG
    IMG_0251.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 90

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Nice find. But even after looking at that, I'm still kind of confused how it'll all work out. Are they tearing down and rebuilding it altogether? Where is the Apple store going to be located? And how does the park come into play/located? Like I said, I know the article (tried to) explain it but I'm still kind of confused.

I live a short distance away from the new location and was in the area a few days ago. The building frame is already being constructed. They are building it along Halsted to the east of the little triangle. As far as I could tell, they've done away with the little alley that winds in between the el station and the store. It doesn't look like much space, but it's plenty large to fit a sizable store.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
The store is replacing an old BP station that has been fully torn down, with underground tanks excavated, etc. The space between where the store is going up and the L station isn't huge, but enough for a nice amount of greenery and several benches. The open space for the park is to the west of the store, east of the L station. The small size is a plus for wifi: the entire park should be within range of the Apple store's network.

Unfortunately the traffic is so heavy in this area I can't imagine it would be a pleasant place to chill. It's not even a fun place to walk around and shop. Four major thoroughfares all intersecting multiple times in one square block. Huge bottleneck - it's insanity. Better put on some noise isolating earphones!

Liquidog

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
VA, USA
Unfortunately the traffic is so heavy in this area I can't imagine it would be a pleasant place to chill. It's not even a fun place to walk around and shop. Four major thoroughfares all intersecting multiple times in one square block. Huge bottleneck - it's insanity. Better put on some noise isolating earphones!

+1

This is the station I get off at to go to work during the week. The deal with this neighborhood is that Steppenwolf Theatre is located just up Halsted from the new store location, and because Steppenwolf is a nationally acclaimed theatre with a solid reputation, it has attracted a lot of upper-class fancypants stores to the area. That intersection still sucks though. It's kind of weird that it's a huge thoroughfare with skinny narrow sidewalks, yet the whole area is populated with Gap, Banana Republic, JCrew, Crate and Barrel, Whole Foods yadda yadda. I guess rich people don't do much walking.

Anyways, the store will fit right in and I will look forward to the construction causing even more delays and aggravation on the already ridiculously crappy CTA red line. Yay.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
NYC does this a lot. if you want a permit to build a new store they will make you fix up some of the surrounding area. there are more than a few subway stations where some of the maintenance is paid for by businesses.

By having a few lawyers present, you can turn corruption and bribery into a legitimate business deal with government. Call it "investment in our future" - not lobbying.

Oh, and if you are an oil or drug company, then you also need pointless prime-time commercials featuring menopausal women babbling about "caring" and "the earth".

A business can't fail this way.

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Maybe Apple should be given the long term lease to that intersection madness so they can reengineer and signal it in a way that reduces cuing and improves Apple store access. :)

Rocketman

Mapquest link

Liquidog

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
VA, USA
By having a few lawyers present, you can turn corruption and bribery into a legitimate business deal with government. Call it "investment in our future" - not lobbying.

Oh, and if you are an oil or drug company, then you also need pointless prime-time commercials featuring menopausal women babbling about "caring" and "the earth".

A business can't fail this way.

Lol. Nowhere is this more true than in Chicago. However, every once in a while it works out in the public's favor - we'll see if this does. The CTA can use all the help it can get in keeping the aging transportation system online - especially with rate hikes and services cutbacks on the horizon (again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.