Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

152354-aapl_2q10_earnings.png

Apple today issued a media alert announcing details for the April 20th release of its financial results for the second fiscal quarter and first calendar quarter of 2010. The results will be released after the close of trading on Tuesday at approximately 4:30 PM Eastern / 1:30 PM Pacific. Apple's conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via a live audio webcast. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the conference call highlights.

Apple offered no major product releases during the quarter, as most of the company's attention was focused on the iPad. The tablet device was introduced in late January, but did not launch until April 3rd, just after the end of the quarter. And even so, the launch was limited to Wi-Fi models in the United States. Availability of 3G-capable models in the United States is expected later this month, while Apple this week announced that availability of all models in its initial set of international markets has been delayed until late May due to high demand in the U.S.

For the quarter, analysts are predicting net earnings of $2.43 per share on revenue of $12.03 billion, above Apple's guidance of $2.06-$2.18 profit on $11.0-$11.4 billion of revenue. Apple's year-ago results for the second fiscal quarter of 2009 initially included net earnings of $1.33 per share on revenue of $8.16 billion. Those calculations were based, however, on earlier accounting methods that utilized "subscription accounting" for iPhone and Apple TV revenue. Apple adopted revised accounting standards at the beginning of fiscal 2010, and after retrospective application (PDF) of the new standards, the year-ago quarter yielded net earnings of $1.79 per share on revenue of $9.08 billion.

Article Link: Apple to Release Q2 2010 Financial Results on April 20th

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Well, if I believe what I read in the MacRumors forums, the iPhone momentum is stalling, marketshare is dropping, the iPad will not a success, Apple's strong-arm techniques is turning people away, and Apple is neglecting its computers. So look for earnings that reflect this reality.

On the other hand, if earnings are good, perhaps we can reconsider whether to believe what the astroturfers write here when they criticize everything Apple does.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
Well, if I believe what I read in the MacRumors forums, the iPhone momentum is stalling, marketshare is dropping, the iPad will not a success, Apple's strong-arm techniques is turning people away, and Apple is neglecting its computers. So look for earnings that reflect this reality.

On the other hand, if earnings are good, perhaps we can reconsider whether to believe what the astroturfers write here when they criticize everything Apple does.

Doesn't the iPhone typically stall before June as people wait for the new iPhone to be released. I know that it is the primary reason i am waiting before getting one. I also still have that small little glimmer of hope that it gets released on Verizon's network as At&t's coverage up in NH is fairly weak compared to Verizon.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

I believe many of the haters are simply bitter that they didn't buy AAPL when it was below $50 a share five years ago, or even below $80 a share fourteen months ago.

It just crossed the $250 threshold a few minutes ago. Awesome.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I believe many of the haters are simply bitter that they didn't buy AAPL when it was below $50 a share five years ago, […]

That's not the reason for their bitterness.

I've got a diffent theory, if you've got the time for a little analogy. :) I've been to a football game last summer. The game was not that important and I'm not that much of a fan, but close to my seat there was a group of young ladies cheering and supporting our team. Right behind me was a guy complaining form the beginning how bad our team was, that they got the wrong players on the field, and that the coach was an idiot.

As soon as it became clear our team was winning he became even more aggressive. While the whole stadium and especially the girls were cheering and celebrating, this guy was really close to lose his mind, complaining over every bad pass and even over the girls supporting the team.

Now, the girls behaviour was somewhat childish, I agree. But this guy definitely showed the behaviour of a psycho. – Exactly like … … … you know what I mean.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else

I've got a diffent theory, if you've got the time for a little analogy. :) I've been to a football game last summer. The game was not that important and I'm not that much of a fan, but close to my seat there was a group of young ladies cheering and supporting our team. Right behind me was a guy complaining form the beginning how bad our team was, that they got the wrong players on the field, and that the coach was an idiot.

As soon as it became clear our team was winning he became even more aggressive. While the whole stadium and especially the girls were cheering and celebrating, this guy was really close to lose his mind, complaining over every bad pass and even over the girls supporting the team.

Now, the girls behaviour was somewhat childish, I agree. But this guy definitely showed the behaviour of a psycho. – Exactly like … … … you know what I mean.
You mean he knew he wasn't gonna get laid by those little hotties, right?

;)

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I believe many of the haters are simply bitter that they didn't buy AAPL when it was below $50 a share five years ago, or even below $80 a share fourteen months ago.

It just crossed the $250 threshold a few minutes ago. Awesome.

I'm happy because I bought 20 shares at 241.00 last week or so and have already made a killing!

I'm retiring tomorrow.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008

you know what they say, some people would rather be right than happy.

Why were the girls childish? Seems the appropriate behavior given the context.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
OH NO, Apple is a "fail", stocks over $250.00. It must be a fail. Uh, iPad is a fail, delayed international shipments due to so many being sold in the USA. iPhone is a fail, sales dropping, maybe because of new iPhone on the horizon. MBP is a fail, not enough improvements, gee whiz, i5 and i7 processors, automatic graphic switching, etc,. New MacPro on the horizon.

I don't know how they can stay in business, maybe Adobe will buy them out:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003

That's definitely part of it, but there's more to the story in the tech field. If you were a techie around 1996-98 or so, you most likely had written Macs off. Apple was sure to die. The only thing you really needed to know to excel at your line of work was Windows, and maybe a smattering of Unix, and talking management into getting the last few Macs off your network was a not uncommon goal.

Imagine what that must be like for the guys with that attitude now, to not only see Macs make a massive resurgence but for Apple products to begin finding in-roads into business beyond computers. My theory is that these guys are angry that they didn't keep up or had written Macs off and now they're pissed that they are behind the curve.

Me, I've always embraced Macs, Windows, Unix, Linux. I have a strong preference for Mac OS, especially OS X, but I've always been open to learning about and using all the platforms. So, these weird outbursts of anger about certain platforms succeeding or failing is just not on my radar. If it's there, I learn about it. Not everyone in tech has that attitude, and I think that's why there's so much venom directed at Macs.

shervieux

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010

I always take what is here with a grain of salt. too many haters posting and too many fanbois asking for things that are not in the company's vision.

Anyway...

the iPad is an initial hit, more than what people expected in the January preview/keynote (you really need to get your hands on one). I was a skeptic at first, but now looking at the apps coming out - the ipad can pretty much do everything my macbook can, with the exception of a few apps and flash. Iphone 4.0 OS will also add folders and multi-tasking which I believe (ok hope) will also lead to a central shared folder file system for sharing documents between apps easily.

I still see more macs when I am out and about, than all other PC laptops combined. I think some of the fluctuation in sales, etc are all those windows users who are upgrading older machines to win 7. There were many hold outs. I think that is why numbers may be skewed right now toward windows users. I know a few who are still using Win 2000, win xp, and entire churches still using Windows 95/98 (as most rely on donated equipment - only larger churches with high income tend to run top-of-the-line or newer computers).

iphone momentum stalling. that is a given. It is April only a few months before a typical release of the new OS and new phone. Last year I bought 2 3g's at this time (my Palm Centro would not keep a charge and I was headed on a trip; and my wife's phone - well not under warrenty and I had to solder the charging port back to the mother board - phone was out of warrenty and it got to the point I could not keep the phone functional anymore). Kicked myself when in July they released the new phone and lowered the price. Oh well. We will see the iphone sales increase; especially all those with the original edge or 2g phone contracts start running out, and they look to upgrade. Plus if Apple ends At&T exclusivity and starts allowing other networks - the iphone sales will boon through the roof.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Meanwhile...

Microsoft To Investigate China Factory Where Workers 'Like Prisoners,' According To Report
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/16/microsoft-to-investigate-_n_540191.html

"Microsoft Corp. said Thursday it will investigate reports of poor working conditions at a factory in southern China that makes some of its products.

The world's largest software maker was responding to a report from The National Labor Committee, a nonprofit that looks into the treatment of foreign workers by U.S. companies. On Tuesday, the group published a report detailing long working hours, low pay, insufficient food and few freedoms for workers at the KYE Systems Corp. factory in Dongguan, China.

The factory makes Microsoft-brand Webcams, computer mice and Xbox controllers.

Included in the report are claims that 16- and 17-year-olds work 15-hour shifts for about 50 cents an hour, are prohibited from talking or using the bathroom during working hours, sleep crammed in 14-person dorm rooms and are only allowed to leave the factory grounds at certain times.

..."

Normally the money flows from credit accounts to low paid labor with a handful of people scraping some off the top along the way. The only concern is when the credit dries up. Then it's a scramble to open up new credit and get the money flowing again, or look for a new market in the world with fresh credit available. In the latter case, the people at the top of the food chain might end up having to employ the former credit purchasers as the new cheap labor (watch what happens over the next 50 years: the concerns of the powerful who control the money flow only extend to those with credit.)

Here is a case where too many are skimming off the top and there is nothing left for the cheap laborers.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
AAPL was up about $2 a share. But the entire market took a dive because of the good news about Goldman Sachs finally being charged with fraud.

The stock brokers have their own agenda so the markets have dropped. But if the price drops enough its probably a good day to purchase because the upward trend will likely continue.

Someone on here posted that AAPL wouldn't reach $300 a share because the day the ipad was launched the stock didn't climb $10 a share. As I pointed out the day to buy to make some money on the new ipad was not the day it became available but a month or two before. I purchased mine at $208 per share on March 8th. A month later when the ipad was in stores it had climbed to over $230 a share. Now it is pushing $250. I would think $300 a share is likely at years end. There is still the 3g, the release outside the US, then back to school and Yule.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Something is wrong. These forums have been very quiet recently. It's not that everybody is busy with their new iPads and MacBook Pros. Something is not right...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.