Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today issued a media alert announcing details for the July 21st release of its financial results for the third fiscal quarter and second calendar quarter of 2009. The results will cover sales from March 28th, 2009 through June 26th, 2009, and will be released at the close of trading (4:00 PM Eastern / 1:00 PM Pacific) on Tuesday. Apple's conference call discussing the results will follow at 2:00 PM Pacific and will be available via a live audio webcast. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the conference call highlights.

Apple's primary product releases for the period occurred late in the quarter, with a revamping of its MacBook Pro line and an update to the MacBook Air taking place at the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference in early June and the new iPhone 3GS launching just a week before the end of the quarter. Apple also offered a minor bump to the white MacBook just prior to WWDC, where it became the sole member of that line with the 13" aluminum MacBook's rebranding as a MacBook Pro.

For the quarter, analysts are predicting net earnings of $1.16 per share on revenue of $8.16 billion, above Apple's guidance of $0.95-$1.00 profit on $7.7-$7.9 billion of revenue. Apple's year-ago results for the third fiscal quarter of 2008 included net earnings of $1.19 per share on revenue of $7.46 billion. Research firms Gartner and IDC earlier this week offered conflicting pictures on Apple's Mac shipments for the quarter as part of their industrywide analyses.

Article Link: Apple to Release Q3 2009 Financial Results on July 21st

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I think the updated Macbook Pros may have helped boost Apple's profits.

If the recession hadn't hit I wonder if Apple would have responded to calls for FireWire on the 13" and the rumoured matte screens?

s.

Chintan100

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2009
India
I think the updated Macbook Pros may have helped boost Apple's profits.

If the recession hadn't hit I wonder if Apple would have responded to calls for FireWire on the 13" and the rumoured matte screens?

s.

Yeah, they will help for sure. There is a shortage of 13 inch MacBooks right now. Its takes 7-10 business days. I was lucky to have one ordered from Canada just in time to have it brought to India tomorrow with my relatives.

Going Mac from tomorrow - and will never go back... :D :apple:

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Yeah, they will help for sure. There is a shortage of 13 inch MacBooks right now. Its takes 7-10 business days. I was lucky to have one ordered from Canada just in time to have it brought to India tomorrow with my relatives.

Going Mac from tomorrow - and will never go back... :D :apple:

Yeah, those 13" MBPs sure are a hot ticket. The return of firewire and future matte screen options have/will make the purchase a very hot item. Hey Apple ... see what happens when you actually sell your customers what they want? :eek:

Surely Q3 results will be nothing but great news for Apple and its shareholders. Q4 results will also be amazing - since they will have announced, sold a butt-ton of, and reaped the benefits of sales from their iTablet or Netbook Mini. ;p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This should be a blow out quarter with the release of the iPhone 3 GS. New MacBooks will also help as lot, not to mention free iPod promotion.

I predict earnings of $1.26 per share

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Should be interesting with the 3GS and the slashed prices. I think if Apple slashed another 10-15% off prices they would become a MAJOR player.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Should be interesting with the 3GS and the slashed prices. I think if Apple slashed another 10-15% off prices they would become a MAJOR player.

And have crappy margins. One of the reasons their stock does so well is that their margins are way above other computer makers.

They may go for an everyone strategy for iPods and iPhones but never in their computers.

And in case you haven't noticed, they are a major player.

The new iPhone and Macbooks won't affect the results much since they came out at the end of the quarter. It would surprise me if they did.

There will be at least 1 million phone sales in there, maybe 1.5.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
And have crappy margins. One of the reasons their stock does so well is that their margins are way above other computer makers.

They may go for an everyone strategy for iPods and iPhones but never in their computers.

And in case you haven't noticed, they are a major player.

Um . . . they ARE a major player already. Where have you been the last 2 years?

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
I've been expecting good results. Which is why I finally bought AAPL for the first time yesterday, got in at $147.35 a share.

Yesterday it didn't move much, most of the focus was on other tech stocks. Today, however, word is getting out that Apple's earnings are due Tuesday and they will be high...so the stock outperformed the market by a large gap. Monday and Tuesday should be very fun as well, and of course Wednesday will be interesting depending on the actual numbers that get released.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I've been expecting good results. Which is why I finally bought AAPL for the first time yesterday, got in at $147.35 a share.

Yesterday it didn't move much, most of the focus was on other tech stocks. Today, however, word is getting out that Apple's earnings are due Tuesday and they will be high...so the stock outperformed the market by a large gap. Monday and Tuesday should be very fun as well, and of course Wednesday will be interesting depending on the actual numbers that get released.

Today's move was likely due to an upgrade by Goldman Sachs as well as its usual rise as earnings approach. If past history is any indication, it is likely APPL will give back quite a bit next week only to rise again a week or two later, mostly due to Apple's ridiculous low future forecasts. . Definitely not for the faint of heart.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I think the results will be great, considering Nokia and Dell's results were horrible. The iPhone 3GS sold better than the 3G and with the slashed notebooks and the App/iTunes store, I think Apple is well upstream compared to Nokia at the edge of the waterfall.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Financial quarters can also differ from company to company and country to country. ;)

And Apple doesn't actually report for quarters, but for 13 weeks (Saturday to Friday). Just to make things more complicated, and because quarters would be between 90 and 92 days, which would make more than two percent difference. Every few years there is a quarter of 14 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.