Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
In another 5 years we'll get the unibody cube!

The above quote from Consultant was the top comment on the post with the before and after photos linked in the article. It would be pretty funny if it turns out to be true. It would be even funnier if he is consulting Apple.

Reactions: Jason83

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I can't believe FAO is closing. That store has been there for ages. Sure, Apple stores are nice but they are everywhere; there's only one FAO Schwartz.

Ah. Toys for a different generation. FAO hasn't existed in its true "heyday" form for well over a decade now. I mean it's now owned by Toys R Us so not exactly the independent house of unique toys it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s. It's really FAO in name only.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I can't believe FAO is closing. That store has been there for ages. Sure, Apple stores are nice but they are everywhere; there's only one FAO Schwartz.

You do realize that it's owned by Toys R Us and that the closing has nothing to do with Apple, right? The flagship Toys R Us in Times Square will be closing as well. Amazon, Walmart and Target have killed the toy stores.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
If it like other Apple Stores I have been to it most likely people hanging out for the free wi-Fi or surf on the unlocked Macs.

Apple really needs to stop stuff like this and figure out to stop these vampires.

They're well aware and welcome that sort of thing. The stores are supposed to be a place where people come in and feel comfortable to hang out as long as they want. I've heard stories of people writing novels in apple stores before. It's pretty crazy, but I understand the business rationale behind it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You do realize that it's owned by Toys R Us and that the closing has nothing to do with Apple, right? The flagship Toys R Us in Times Square will be closing as well. Amazon, Walmart and Target have killed the toy stores.

Lack of interest in toys killed the toy store.

Reactions: Jason83

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
If it like other Apple Stores I have been to it most likely people hanging out for the free wi-Fi or surf on the unlocked Macs.

Apple really needs to stop stuff like this and figure out to stop these vampires.

Dude, have you been to the 5th Avenue Store? You don't even have to be in the store to pick up Apple's public wi-fi. It's available for people to use outside the store in the plaza surrounding the cube, and sometimes my phone will pick it up across 59th Street on the corner of NE 59th and 5th Ave. Apple KNOWS that people are using it! That's what they (Apple) want! They WANT people to come in and surf the Macs. Did you know that some iPhones in the store are able to make calls, and people make phone calls, evel long distance, even international??? And Apple wants people to do that. They want people to have the same experience using the device in store as if they were using it if they owned it at home. One time my phone battery was dead (my old flip phone years ago) and I REALLY needed to use a phone. I was in San Francisco and my flight back to New York had been canceled and I needed to make some calls. I went to the Apple Store and used a display iPhone. And it was totally cool. The employee in the store even said, "everyone does it and that's what Apple wants." I talked on the phone for about a half hour.

Reactions: Joe HS

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
re: A "problem" Microsoft will never have to face.
It wasn't all that long ago the same was said of Apple. ;)

I don't think so. I do not remember a time, even after starting their retail operation, Apple stores have not been packed with people buying product. Indeed, from the beginning they have achieved extremely high revenue per square foot numbers. They have always been a retail success.

Contrast that with Microsoft stores, often located near existing Apple stores, where I've never seen one busy, other than perhaps some kids playing Xbox on the side. Usually there are more store personnel with colored t-shirts waiting around with hands in pocket than customers.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I doubt the cube is going anywhere. They last reno was rebuilding the cube with fewer panels. This renovation looks to target the interior of the store. They'll likely refinish the appearance to fit whatever new look they have planned and maybe move things around to fit people more comfortably.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
slow news day...

I am glad however they finally updated the San Jose CA Oakridge location. Before the remodel it was the smallest apple store - in the world!

I do like it when I go into apple store and the reps are diverse in age, background, etc. Keep it up Apple!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I went there years ago, crazy amount of people , being an apple fan it's a must see place in NY.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I didn't say kick people out, good try. I meant if they lock their wi-Fi yo be only be given to customers who are doing one and one shopping & Macs in the floor. I am tired of blog lists speaking about writing posts from inside a Store and such! I call those king of people 'vampires' instead of calling them leaches. :eek:
Sorry, I made the assumption, but the reason I made it was to extrapolate on what to do with them.

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I still wonder exactly what Jony Ive's role is regarding Apple stores. In that memo Tim Cook sent out regarding his promotion he said Ive's duties have expanded to include the "look and feel of Apple stores". Does that mean he's involved in store redesigns like this?

Oh no, he's gonna flatten the design and do away all skeuomorphisms!...I hope I can still find the stairs...and use them...

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Ah. Toys for a different generation. FAO hasn't existed in its true "heyday" form for well over a decade now. I mean it's now owned by Toys R Us so not exactly the independent house of unique toys it was in the 60s, 70s, 80s. It's really FAO in name only.

The "heyday" for me ended in 1986, when they moved from 745 Fifth (where that giant-piano scene in "Big" was set) to the current location across the street. I remember when the GM Building was the most nondescript/least noteworthy of the locations in that neighborhood - Tiffany's, Bergdorf's, F.A.O. Schwartz, the Plaza, the Sherry-Netherland, the Pierre, Grand Army Plaza... That was, until (cue "Also Sprach Zarathustra") the black stone monolith... I mean, glass cube, arose.

It's an interesting progression at 767 Fifth... Did Apple move there to be close to Schwartz? Did Cartier move there (albeit temporarily) to be close to Apple? Or is it all a cosmic coincidence?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Apple reportedly plans to renovate about 20 existing retail stores in the United States to accommodate for increased foot traffic, with many stores set to double in size.

On the new iStore '16, advances in laminated glass have reduced the overall thickness to 1.6mm thin! This translates to a 40% reduction in volume and 7% increase in clarity. Here's a video featuring Jony Ive talking about how the new dangerglass 2 fits in with our design philosophy...

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
Montgomery Mall Apple Store (Bethesda, Maryland) needs to be at least twice its current size. Probably more.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I've never been to the SF Union Square store. (I haven't been to SF in more than a decade.)

But I recall all the controversy over the design of the Apple store, and the fact that it might destroy a piece of public art. Apple redesigned the store to address the controversy.

That wasn't all that long ago. Why are they moving the store now?

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Funny. Reason is to handle increased foot traffic? Most Apple stores are a few tables of products and a lot of empty space so I can only imagine the new renovation will be an empty box and a VR helmet?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.