Apple to Reopen 21 Retail Stores in Australia This Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will reopen 21 of its 22 retail locations in Australia on Thursday, May 7, according to Apple's dedicated websites for each of the stores. All of the stores that are reopening will operate on limited hours for the time being.

Apple's sole Australian store that will remain closed is the Apple Sydney store. As noted by 9to5Mac, this store closed in January for major renovations, and it is possible that the global health crisis caused a construction delay.

All of Apple's retail stores in Australia and elsewhere in the world have been closed since March 14, with the exception of stores in Greater China and a single store in South Korea that reopened in April.

Apple CEO Tim Cook last week said that Apple was going to reopen stores in Austria and Australia this week, and Apple's sole Apple Store in Vienna will be reopening on Tuesday, May 5.

There is still no word on when stores in North America will reopen, but Cook also said that Apple is planning to reopen a few stores in the U.S. starting in May. Store openings will be staggered, with Apple evaluating data that includes local guidelines and recommendations before reopening.

Apple plans to reopen stores on a city by city, county by county basis, and will implement social distancing measures. In South Korea, where one store has been open since mid-April, Apple has been focusing on device repairs and order pickups rather than standard shopping and browsing, and the same protocols will be followed in Austria and Australia.

Apple plans to require temperature checks before customers are allowed in the store, and a limited number of people will be able to enter the store at one time, leading to potential delays for walk-in customers. In a statement to Bloomberg, Apple said that it recommends customers buy online for delivery or use in-store pickup where possible.

Article Link: Apple to Reopen 21 Retail Stores in Australia This Week

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I’m really curious what the 2020 iPhone launch will look like when it comes to Apple’s retail stores.

Over the years they have been implementing the “reserve a pickup window” and they’ve had lines in/out of the stores, but a ton of people still end up in the stores.

Reactions: Dwalls90

MarkWade

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Apple actually five stores in Sydney. They are called Bondi, Broadway, Chatswood Chase, Miranda, and Sydney. Only the one called "Apple Sydney" (the one in the central business district) is remaining closed... but like "Apple Broadway" is a 10 minute drive / 30 minute walk away from it.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It’s good to hear things are getting back to normal in some places. I’ll be lucky if anything opens up in NYC by June.

Lozza013

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Hooray!!!! Although if there is a store here in Australia that needs renovations or needs to be relocated, it’s the store at Southland too small IMO.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
It’s good to hear things are getting back to normal in some places. I’ll be lucky if anything opens up in NYC by June.
I’m in MA and they are FINALLY talking about a slow and steady opening starting around May 18 under strict conditions. Which is still fine with me. I’ve come around to the mask situation I could care less at this point trying to make the best of it. Mass is the third worse state behind NY and NJ

HERE IS today’s data. Amazing day in MA if we can call anything amazing. The data is finally starting to decrease and today’s numbers were the best of any day so far over the past 2 1/2 months.

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
Here's a graphic to put things into perspective: World wide Covid death trend :(

image.jpeg

RalfTheDog

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It will be very lucky if things are moving again in 2020. I expect a lot of states to open way too early, spike the numbers, then close down for a much longer time. New York's leadership is smarter than that.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Here's a graphic to put things into perspective: World wide Covid death trend :(

View attachment 912187

Yeap. As was expected. But recovery rate still much higher and there are so many cases they do not test for recovery that number is even higher. Oh and now don’t forget about the new numbers of asymptomatic people out there 25 to 45% is the new speculation. Tack that on top of the recovered and mortality decreases even more.
I’m not minimizing this just putting some of it into perspective.
And yes, I get it’s contagious. Very.

Last edited:
Reactions: lkrupp

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009

View attachment 912187

But it tells half the story, and unfortunately most of that story is now being driven by the USA. Some parts of the world are actually pretty much fine at this point.

Australia and New Zealand's federal government took aggressive, prompt and unified action, and it's paying off. Hell, New Zealand has reported no new cases today. They will have far less lives lost per capita, and their economy will be far less hard hit. The same can't be said about countries like the USA. We're now in this for the long haul. Probably the rest of 2020.

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Australia and New Zealand are low population islands at the arse end if the world at the tail end of summer.
We were always less likely to have the same number of cases compared with more densely populated, colder climes in the northern hemisphere. That we have had as many cases as we have is tardiness in border closures from Europe and Iran (quicker with China) and missteps with regard to overseas students and cruise ships.
Australia has less strict lockdown than NZ and yet less deaths per million, I think there are too many complexities between countries to be definite about which solution is best and whether full on lockdown is worth the cost.

The problem with the lockdown is that it is so high level , as it is eased off there will be “blooms” of new positives. How we manage that without wrecking the economy further, with all the downsides that implies, remains to be seen, especially as we move into winter and people become more vulnerable.

just need to make sure the cure is not worse than the disease.

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Australia and New Zealand are low population islands at the arse end if the world at the tail end of summer.
We were always less likely to have the same number of cases compared with more densely populated, colder climes in the northern hemisphere. That we have had as many cases as we have is tardiness in border closures from Europe and Iran (quicker with China) and missteps with regard to overseas students and cruise ships.
Australia has less strict lockdown than NZ and yet less deaths per million, I think there are too many complexities between countries to be definite about which solution is best and whether full on lockdown is worth the cost.

The problem with the lockdown is that it is so high level , as it is eased off there will be “blooms” of new positives. How we manage that without wrecking the economy further, with all the downsides that implies, remains to be seen, especially as we move into winter and people become more vulnerable.

the race for the vaccine is on!

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
I don't see how Apple can move to open stores yet in Australia. We are still under conditions to only leave homes for explicit reasons. Some states have moved earlier to move to a lower restriction, but even so, until we have advice from the Chief Medical Officer that we've met the 14 or 15 conditions to ease restrictions, we're putting health of others at risk.
- - Post merged: - -

The life of anyone is more important than money.

Reactions: RalfTheDog

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Nice to see more Apple stores opening up. Looking forward to the day my local store opens! Great news for all involved, especially Apple customers.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Hooray!!!! Although if there is a store here in Australia that needs renovations or needs to be relocated, it’s the store at Southland too small IMO.
I take it you haven’t been to Doncaster recently? ;)

I’m glad the stores are reopening slowly, though IMHO it feels a tiny bit premature - we’re still battling the occasional outbreak and restrictions won’t have been eased across the country until the start of June I reckon. That said, thankfully we’re doing better than much of the rest of the world so there’s a lot to be grateful for too. I wouldn’t be rushing out to have a play with the new MBPs any time soon though.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I am excited the minute my local US Apple Store opens, I just hope everyone does stay safe. It seems most economies are opening back up, but I hope they do so responsibly.

Lozza013

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I’ve literally forgotten Southland even has a store lol so accustomed to popping down to Chadstone now
Hehe I admit my closest store is actually Chadstone but Chadstone itself isn't my favourite place in the world. Too busy at times (I still go there from time to time though). It's why I catch a train along the Frankston line to Southland, less people at Southland.

Reactions: -BigMac-

Lozza013

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I take it you haven’t been to Doncaster recently? ;)

I’m glad the stores are reopening slowly, though IMHO it feels a tiny bit premature - we’re still battling the occasional outbreak and restrictions won’t have been eased across the country until the start of June I reckon. That said, thankfully we’re doing better than much of the rest of the world so there’s a lot to be grateful for too. I wouldn’t be rushing out to have a play with the new MBPs any time soon though.
Hehe I haven't been to Westfield Doncaster in years. I admit looking at the new MBP and MBA is why I've been eagerly waiting for Apple to reopen but I do agree it is a bit premature to relax everything.

Reactions: Brandhouse

entropys

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I don't see how Apple can move to open stores yet in Australia. We are still under conditions to only leave homes for explicit reasons. Some states have moved earlier to move to a lower restriction, but even so, until we have advice from the Chief Medical Officer that we've met the 14 or 15 conditions to ease restrictions, we're putting health of others at risk.

Really? At present we have less than 100 deaths and the cost to the economy is $4b per day! I don’t think my life is worth hundreds of millions of dollars of Other Peoples’ Money.

And if it comes to a calculation about “life”, whose life is more important? What about the livelihoods that are ruined with no chance of being rebuilt when this is all over, the increased suicides from failed small businesses, the increased domestic violence, the complications and increased morbidity caused by postponed elective surgeries, etc etc. Heck there are even reports that fronting for cancer treatment is way down. That won’t end well.

There are two sides to the ledger, there needs to be balance. Through proper risk management of the risks, likelihood and yes, the costs in both raw monetary terms and the impact of the measures themselves on the future wellbeing of others.

And another thing. As restrictions are eased there will be an uptick in cases. Are we going to shut up shop again? We can’t keep that up very much. Stop start stop start would be a business killer. in the end we have to let people get Covid-19, otherwise we will never be able to travel OS, or let people visit us, again.

• Disagree
Reactions: Brandhouse

simonmet

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney

“Essential shopping” is considered allowed under existing guidelines, so given the importance of technology in the current environment it should be covered under that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.