Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
And here I am, waiting on Best Buy to get some in stock so I can buy one. Yes, I know I could go directly to Apple, but with Best Buy I get points - totally worth it in the long run for me.

Got mine from BB on Friday that I ordered on Wednesday. Which is about the same time Apple had for me ordering on Pre-order Day 1.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Their focus on fashion didn't last long, now it's all about fitness. No more outings to the catwalk for Jony.

There is no killer app and no real reason to buy one if you have to tether it to an iPhone.

Maybe there doesn't need to be a killer app. The Apple Watch brings a variety of small conveniences to the user and that may well be good enough.

I can receive notifications, use Apple Pay, receive calls, reply to messages, track my sleep (with the right app), and bring it on runs while listening to music on it (which in turn lets me leave my iPhone at home).

Sounds like a solid companion accessory right there. Only downside is battery life, so I likely won't be wearing one when I go back for my reservist stints (were I to get an Apple Watch), but otherwise, I think I would be fine with having to charge it daily since I already do the same for my iPhone and iPad.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I kinda thought the need to pair a phone to is holding the smart watch back... when if it had just as much battery as your typical non smart watch (coin type), that doesn't need recharging every night or so, and can last months, and still have GPS and a few other memory for storage from the cloud, not limited in memory to certain things , without a phone needed for wireless carrier, then maybe it would be better.

But as Apple says, the technology ain't their yet. Perhaps people don't wanna pay for another plan or service, but we do for iPad (cellular) and iPhone...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Which is one of the reasons I did not jump on board on the Apple Watch 2. I own the Gen 1 Stainless and purchasing the Apple Watch 2 in stainless would be like purchasing the same Watch over again. And the GPS, screen brightness and added water resistance is not enough for me. I am thinking of waiting for a complete revamp and maybe a round version. Perhaps a larger Millimeter variant as well. But I am enjoying my Gen 1 stainless just as much from day one.
Yeah I love my Series 0 Sport. Still a great watch, I don't need GPS, and actually have had mine quite wet and never had any problems with it. The new Watch OS really made things nicer too.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Maybe there doesn't need to be a killer app. The Apple Watch brings a variety of small conveniences to the user and that may well be good enough.

I can receive notifications, use Apple Pay, receive calls, reply to messages, track my sleep (with the right app), and bring it on runs while listening to music on it (which in turn lets me leave my iPhone at home).

Sounds like a solid companion accessory right there. Only downside is battery life, so I likely won't be wearing one when I go back for my reservist stints (were I to get an Apple Watch), but otherwise, I think I would be fine with having to charge it daily since I already do the same for my iPhone and iPad.

I can do all that with my iPhone. If they put a SIM card inside so I could use it without carrying my iPhone I would buy one because I need to be contactable for work but there are many times when I would prefer not to carry my iPhone with me. Without that I don't see the point in buying one.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

The killer app is Apple Pay. Even paying with your phone is barbaric once you have it on your wrist.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Everyone's different. The Watch for me is most valuable as an iPhone replacement -- when I need to leave my iPhone behind, but still need many of its features. When I have my phone, I don't need the watch. It's just that simple for me.

Apple Pay on the watch requires two hands, and often weird arm positions to get it to work with some payment systems, and I prefer the phone over it almost every time for was of use and convenience. I don't like taking calls over it (and probably wouldn't given the significant battery drain), and I find I prefer to reply to messages using my iPhone -- who knows maybe I need to learn to give briefer replies. Usually when I'm out, I don't have headphones to use with the watch, and when I have my phone, I'd prefer to use it instead given the significant power drain music playback causes on the watch. And I don't need sleep tracking.

I'm really not sure why we continue to debate with each other which features we find most important about the watch. There's a reason FitBit is still a popular choice for many people, over the Watch. But it's not just one reason, it's several. And none are more right than another.

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I can do all that with my iPhone. If they put a SIM card inside so I could use it without carrying my iPhone I would buy one because I need to be contactable for work but there are many times when I would prefer not to carry my iPhone with me. Without that I don't see the point in buying one.

Sim Card is one of the main reasons you won't see cellular on the Apple Watch anytime soon. It takes up to much room. Plus if iPads are any indication it will be a $130 premium. The other problem would be how many different watches would Apple have to make than. Two for each color and size. I think they have too many version now. Now you want to add wifi or wifi/cellular.

If Apple can get Carries to go to SIM card free devices. Which they have been trying to for years than maybe.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
This is getting old. If we are comparing apples and oranges here, why not compare e.g. the standby times of dumbphones and smartphones (not to mention landline phones)?

You could also reduce the amount of items that have to be charged by switching your MacBook for an iMac, your iPhone for a dumbphone and the game controller for a cable-attached one (same for headphones, if you're using Bluetooth ones by chance).

None of what you said alleviates MY issue of having to charge a watch though.

NNJ

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2016
Brooklyn NY
I waited til Series 2 came out and then got the original in stainless steel on eBay. It already had os3. Wow, I am totally impressed by it. Making phone calls on the wrist is the killer app for me (didn't see that coming). Also am finding the health stuff to be subtly amazing and I see where Apple is headed. I think the interface is superb, not sure where this analyst would suggest improvement. Oh and I am getting a lot of style points too with my classic leather buckle.
hey there! I did the same thing, haha, bought my USE stainless steel 48 on B&H for $299 with few tiny invisible scratches on the watch body, and its great and cheap, works fine and fest with os3, no complains at all. I thing its right thing to do for now. I don't really need any new futures from the new Series 2, so I'm good, it can be a good advise for some one out there

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
None of what you said alleviates MY issue of having to charge a watch though.
Only that you would not charge a watch, but a small wrist computer that happens to be named a watch for various reasons. Similar to your MacBook, just way smaller and more limited in features/usability.
[doublepost=1475767663][/doublepost]
Waterproof and GPS aren't major improvements?
Depends on your personal needs: GPS is a very specific feature and it's more of "waterproofier" than waterproof vs not waterproof.

I'd name brighter display and speedier processor as significant improvements , though.

Reactions: ErikGrim

idoccurt

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006

Apple may sell fewer Apple Watch models in 2016 than it did in 2015, according to research conducted by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and shared by Business Insider. According to Kuo, the new Series 1 and Series 2 Apple Watch models suffer from a lack of "killer" applications, inadequate battery life, a heavy reliance on the iPhone and a multi-touch UI that he does not feel will be the ideal solution for wearable devices.

The Apple Watch, says Kuo, has failed to impact sales of the Fitbit, and he does not believe the more affordable Series 1 models will lead to a higher number of sales.

apple-watch-series-2-2-800x395.jpg

As a result of these perceived shortcomings, Kuo has cut his estimates for 2016 Apple Watch shipments by 15 to 25 percent, projecting sales of 8.5 to 9 million units during fiscal 2016. Kuo made similar predictions in April of 2016.Apple does not break down Apple Watch sales numbers and has never revealed how many of the wearable devices have sold since April of 2015, making it difficult to pin down just how well it's doing with customers. IDC estimates shared over the summer suggest Apple sold 1.6 million units during Q2 2016, down from 3.6 million estimated units in the second quarter of 2015, aligning with Kuo's prediction.

It's important to note that estimates for Apple Watch sales sometimes vary wildly, however. For example, during the March quarter, Swiss bank UBS estimated sales of 1.6 million units, while Strategy Analytics estimated sales of 2.2 million.

The new Apple Watch Series 2 looks identical to the Series 1 Apple Watch models but includes better waterproofing to make it suitable for use when swimming, GPS, a faster dual-core processor, and a brighter display. Series 1 models also feature a faster processor, but are otherwise unchanged from the original Apple Watch.

More substantial changes are expected for the 2017 Apple Watch, including an exterior redesign.

Article Link: Apple to Sell Fewer Apple Watch Models in 2016 Despite Launch of Series 2
I think a different strategy is needed to make the watch more appealing

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
so far loving my series 2 watch

GPS, speed improvements and being able to use it for swimming is great.

teflonthadon

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
It is 2 years since the first watch was announced (admittedly delayed until the following April) so that could very well be the plan.

If you have an original then that isn't a series 1. Series 1 is original with the dual core cpu.
You are correct and how confusing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.