Apple to Skip Intel Arrandale? Demands Alternative Chip?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

BrightSideofNews claims that Apple is refusing to accept Intel's upcoming mobile Arrandale chip which incorporates Intel's integrated graphics chipset:
According to sources close to the heart of the matter, Apple allegedly refused to adopt Intel's Arrandale and the Calpella platform in its default form. In order for Apple to implement Calpella design with their next refresh of Mac mini / MacBook / MacBook Pro lines, Intel will have to provide Apple with the 32nm version without the integrated graphics part. Again, we cannot confirm the information about the replacement CPU, we only know that Apple rejected Arrandale.
The report has generated some debate in our Waiting for Arrandale thread both due to the untested source of the rumor as well as the technical implications of creating a custom chip just for Apple.

Intel's addition of integrated graphics into the Arrandale processor comes at an interesting time with the legal battle ongoing between Intel and NVIDIA. Apple had switched from Intel to NVIDIA chipsets for their most recent line of notebook computers. The transition from Intel to NVIDIA in that case resulted in significantly improved integrated graphics performance in the latest round of MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Due to a licensing disagreement with Intel, NVIDIA has since exited the chipset market. Intel's new integrated graphics chipset included in Arrandale is said to be a significant improvement over their previous offerings. Apple, of course, would still be able to offer additional "discrete" graphics cards in conjunction with Intel's system.

The benefit of a custom graphics-less Arrandale, however, is less clear, though Intel and Apple have been known to collaborate on custom chip designs, as in the CPU found in the original MacBook Air. The past report had suggested that Intel and Apple were continuing to work on more projects that were "equally aggressive".

We're not sure what there is to these claims, though based on timelines, the MacBook Pro line is due to be refreshed in the first half of 2010.

Article Link: Apple to Skip Intel Arrandale? Demands Alternative Chip?

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Hmmm....I would like to see quad-core MacBook Pros in the very near future...hopefully this issue won't cause any delays.

Comment

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I'm guessing that apple doesn't rate intel's graphics much then? I guess that this is a good thing, but I'm also guessing that this is going to push back the dates of the new macbook pros.

Comment

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
If this is accurate, it means I was right!

No Intel Graphics, save the power, discrete graphics across the board! Awesome!

Now, just what graphics cards are Apple going to snap in???

Comment

Manic Mouse

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2006
Going back to Intel integrated graphics would probably be a step down from the current 9400m in nearly all Apple computers, something Steve probably wouldn't be happy about.

It's such a shame nvidia pulled out of the chipset business, they're offerings were much more compelling than Intel's.

Comment

adamw

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I really like the Nvidia 9400m. It will be interesting to see if Intel backs down on including the integrated graphics on new CPU chips to please customers like Apple.

Comment

bruxelles

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png
BrightSideofNews claims that Apple is refusing to accept Intel's upcoming mobile Arrandale chip which incorporates Intel's integrated graphics chipset:The report has generated some debate in our Waiting for Arrandale thread both due to the untested source of the rumor as well as the technical implications of creating a custom chip just for Apple.
Interesting. During the Psystar case, I wondered whether Apple would ever be able to get Intel to make special versions of processors that it could somehow tie Mac OS to, instead of having to sue the clone makers. Perhaps this is the start of Apple moving in that direction?

Comment

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
This is likely a good thing, but I'm bummed because I was hoping for the new MBPs in January. :(
Don't worry. Apple can't afford to wait too long. I think it's pretty safe to say the Apple+Intel bond is pretty strong, at the moment (Light Peak, MBA CPU, that early Mac Pro CPU run, etc) so it seems entirely plausible that Apple will get some custom made silicon in January, if they don't already have it.

If Apple wait too long after Arrandale is released, they will lose a monumental number of sales.

Comment

rme

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
#$#%# Intel.
They should've just released a 32nm, 35W version of the i7-920XM.
It's doable, wtf didn't they?

Comment

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Why bother demanding a unique version?

Apple has included integrated graphics on machine before without using them, (iMac Core Duo with the ATI 1600M also had the unused GMA 950 sitting idle) I'm sure there are many other examples in Apple's line too considering the chipset costs the same and is probably identical except for a fuse that's cut with a laser to disable the integrated graphics.

By including Intel Integrated Graphics on all machines with discrete graphics, they can reduce power consumption at idle time, while still providing maximum performance when needed.

Comment

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Why bother demanding a unique version?

Apple has included integrated graphics on machine before without using them, (iMac Core Duo with the ATI 1600M also had the unused GMA 950 sitting idle) I'm sure there are many other examples in Apple's line too considering the chipset costs the same and is probably identical except for a fuse that's cut with a laser to disable the integrated graphics.

By including Intel Integrated Graphics on all machines with discrete graphics, they can reduce power consumption at idle time, while still providing maximum performance when needed.
Maybe because of the price..trying to reduce prices of the processors and having just one graphic card making things simple..

Comment

beez1717

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Earth
I think the reason apple decided to do this is because they have a deal with Nvidia that they don't want to get in the way of, and that by using these chips they may be causing some problems with the deal. I just hope that whatever happens that is best for the consumer.

Comment

mrochester

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2009
I'm looking to buy my first ever Mac in the form of a MacBook Pro, and I'm not prepared to buy one until the latest round of updates has been released. I hope Apple pull their finger out with this one!

Comment

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
well for people waiting to get new stuff (e.g. notebooks) in january or february, this will again be a headache and keep asking themselves, wait for the latest and greatest or get an "old" system, which is available today :eek:

Comment

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
There has to be an issue here.

Probably internal redesign especially on the 13" Macbook & Mini , apple will have to find space for a Custom Dedicated gfx chip that uses the PCIe lane and isnt part of the chipset, this creates many problems for apple including, board design, heatsink redesign, and milling of internal screw sockets etc.

I bet apple was hoping they could simply use the same board but with arandale and Nvidia's latest chipset gfx.

Now costs will be higher and unless apple take the hit, we will have to.:(

Comment

Shintocam

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2005
Canada
Going back to Intel integrated graphics would probably be a step down from the current 9400m in nearly all Apple computers, something Steve probably wouldn't be happy about.

It's such a shame nvidia pulled out of the chipset business, they're offerings were much more compelling than Intel's.
Yes but it is also a shame that Apple never actually took advantage of Nvidia's chipsets. On a Windows machine with the Nvidia chipset and a discrete Nvidia you could run a hybrid SLI mode but OSX never supported it.....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.