Apple to Start Offering iTunes on the Windows Store

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 11, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to bring its iTunes app to the Windows 10 Store, Microsoft announced today at its Build developer event. iTunes, is, of course, already available on the Windows platform, but adding it to the Windows Store will make it easier for Windows users to find the software.

Gaining iTunes for the Windows Store is a win for Microsoft, as the Windows store is currently lacking many key apps like Google's Chrome browser and Spotify. Microsoft has strict app requirements that some companies aren't able to work with.

[​IMG]
    The addition of iTunes could potentially drive more customers to use the Windows 10 Store, with iTunes said to be one of the apps that Windows users search for most often.

According to Microsoft, iTunes will be added to the Windows Store by the end of this year.

Article Link: Apple to Start Offering iTunes on the Windows Store

2. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Why does it take so long to just put it into the store..

Also, every single piece of apple news is so insipid and boring.

3. Appleaker, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

Appleaker macrumors 68000

It makes a lot of sense.

But it's probably the clunkiest app there... So much for Windows 10 S running faster.

4. delonholmes macrumors newbie

delonholmes

Now they need to re write it, so its not slow on windows..

5. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

Now if only they could bring iMessage to Android and Microsoft to fix group chats!

6. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

7. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

iMessage and FaceTime on android, I would switch to a galaxy so quick,

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's kinda crap on a Mac too, used to be a great Music player in the beginning, now it's a load of whatever.

9. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

This can only be a good thing. iTunes for Windows is a bit of a clunky mess, and it being a native Windows app will possibly allow it look a little cleaner too. Still looks/feels like the old style iTunes. Maybe I'm just used to looking at it on macOS, but it looks much cleaner there.

10. codewrangler macrumors member

codewrangler

11. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

Then I would recommend finding a different website, lest ye continue to be displeased.

12. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I don't want iTunes (or Apple Music or Music or whatever) on my Mac, never mind on my Windows computer.

I've been using Spotify for 6 years now. I have no plans of ever going back to the disaster that is iTunes (I started Apple Music's free trial when that debuted. And ended it within a couple of hours because it was such a pile of garbage.)

Now iMessage... I'd love to have that on my work computer. Since it's not there, I have to recommend that people contact me via Skype or Facebook Messages whenever I'm at work. I'd love to tell people they can just iMessage me and I'll definitely get it at work...

13. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

In this instance, Windows 10 would be the glass of cold water in the hell that is iTunes.

Oh how times change.

14. RMo, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017

RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

It's a Win32 app and Microsoft imposes some restrictions on Store apps that make it difficult for a lot of desktop apps to work. (In fact, they used to only allow Universal apps in the store--you know, the kind that ran full-screen in Windows 8 and look like they were designed for a tablet.) I'm pretty sure that even for Win32 apps they still impose sandboxing, which will be interesting for iTunes since there's no way it will be able to provide all its existing functionality--managing your music library outside the application, automatically launching when an iOS device/iPod/etc. is connected, and more--with the limitations if they are as I think.

EDIT: I guess some of the restrictions have been relaxed for win32 apps--e.g., they are able to access files in your user profile (where your music library likely lives) and not just in the application's own sandbox.

15. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

If they bring iMessage to android and MS I would absolutely ditch my Mac.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

iTunes also doesn't scale properly on Windows. The store becomes non-functional when you run Windows at 125% scaling.

17. emm386 macrumors 6502

emm386

"... easier for users to find the software..."? Err... like that was ever the problem!

But deploying it and keeping it up to date in an enterprise environment was pretty much impossible so far! Other companies with as little as one thousand of Apple's revenue could implement auto-patching services onto their software... just Apple, the world's richest tech company (!) couldn't...

Now though, that seems to be a problem of the past, since Windows Store apps don't require any privileges worth talking about. Way to go!

18. gumbyjunior1 macrumors regular

gumbyjunior1

If they re-write it from the ground up so its not so bloated, then this would be a good thing to do. However, I do not see that happening anytime soon.

19. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

Will this still have the services and boot processes?

20. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

21. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

I read everywhere how iTunes is bulky and slow. But personally I never had any issue with it. It runs perfectly.
    But I still think it should be split into smaller apps.

22. mthomas184 macrumors 6502

mthomas184

Then don't. Pretty simple solution.

As a Windows user, I welcome this, if it makes it not as clunky as the currently available version.

23. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I installed and uninstalled it a number of times on Windows back when. Was a complete clusterf**k. Wish I could do without it on a Mac too.

24. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Which is why it won't happen.