Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
According to Microsoft, iTunes will be added to the Windows Store by the end of this year.
Another way to read that: the bloated mess that is iTunes is not going to be split into Music, Videos, Podcasts and Store anytime soon.

I'm disappointed.

Reactions: jblagden

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
iTunes also doesn't scale properly on Windows. The store becomes non-functional when you run Windows at 125% scaling.

Very little scales properly on Windows... even Windows stuff! For instance, Device Manager looks blurry on a high res display or at 125%. It's a bit of a joke to be honest.

I see your point though; I'd really like to see a version of iTunes for Windows that doesn't suck.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
In this instance, Windows 10 would be the glass of cold water in the hell that is iTunes.

Oh how times change.

Buddy you beat me right to it! Haha.

Now if only they could bring iMessage to Android and Microsoft to fix group chats!

Keep dreaming unfortunately. FaceTime & iMessage are seen as added-value, meaning you buy Apple's exclusive products in order to utilize their services. Making their features more accessible will only give people less reasons to buy iPhone's, etc.

The only reason they put Apple Music on Android and iTunes on Windows is too reach a broader audience and maximize sales.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
How about Apple fix iOS so iTunes is never required for an iOS device again?

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If you own a lot of Music you can still use an older version of iTunes, I have one, version 9.2, it works.
I’ve actually given up fighting myself regarding iTunes. I have to have it for my iPhone so I just get on with it and try to reduce my moaning to a minimum.

Reactions: Klososky

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Why would I want to install iTunes bloat when I can play, for example, Soundcloud in any browser even mobile browser in the background?

https://m.soundcloud.com

What?? If all you do is stream music at varying quality then... then sure, why would you use iTunes. But if you have a huge local library of consistent quality, or sync iOS devices, or have shared music, or...

Jeez I don't know where to start. It's like saying why would I want to use Logic Pro when I could use Audacity? Why an iPhone when I could use a Nokia 3310?

Reactions: Shirasaki and Slix

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I really welcome this move from Microsoft and hope it will attract even more customers to iTunes and Apple Music. I truly believe it could, because I genuinely think Apple Music is a great music streaming service. Tried Spotify for a while, and I've been looking at some others as well. But apart from a somewhat confusing design it offers the best experience in my opinion.

The question however remains: what kind of iTunes will it be? The same that's currently available as a regular program? Or something that's actually much better? Before I've had my first Mac I always used iTunes on Windows. And it wasn't particularly that good. Hope they've fixed that in this 'Windows Store' version. Might give it a try on my Windows 10 BootCamp.

Reactions: Orionis

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I don't want iTunes (or Apple Music or Music or whatever) on my Mac, never mind on my Windows computer.

I've been using Spotify for 6 years now. I have no plans of ever going back to the disaster that is iTunes (I started Apple Music's free trial when that debuted. And ended it within a couple of hours because it was such a pile of garbage.)

We don't have spotify here. Not without a proxy, anyway.
What is supposedly so garbage about Apple Music? I find it wonderful, its suggestions mostly great, and their library has most of the things I listen to.
(+ i don't need VPN for it)

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
I read everywhere how iTunes is bulky and slow. But personally I never had any issue with it. It runs perfectly.
But I still think it should be split into smaller apps.

That's because it was **** 5-10 years ago and once you have a bad rep you keep the bad rep. (Same thing goes on with Beats whose audio quality has massively improved over the years and are less and less bass heavy but for the general public they're still the expensive, bass heavy, overpriced Beats)

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I've never used the windows store on my desktop as everything in it I've generally found much cheaper elsewhere. Not sure it's going to catch on fast but it might do eventually. I wonder if at some point they will force everything via it like iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.