Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I always wanted to be able to Airplay to an accessory or unit in a car, and the problem with making that was that you would essentially have to make a wifi signal to connect, but then couldn't stream or check email because you weren't connected to the internet.

This will allow 3rd party accessories to be made to transmit audio/video in a ad-hoc wifi network, while also allowing data through 3G. Say goodbye to cables in the car, speakers outside, etc.

I imagine someone will create a AirplayDirect dongle to RCA or Mic input which will solve most scenarios.

I can stream Music to my car through AirPlay via Bluetooth with sync. You just need a car that allows this like Ford and some other manufactures are now starting to do this.

freezah

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
Harman Kardon AVR X70

Can anybody confirm that Harman/Kardon latest amplifiers (AVR-x70 or AVR-x700) which will be revealed at the IFA 2012 will support this type of streaming ? I know they will support basic AirPlay.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I wonder if this would fix the audio lag from Mountain Lion Macs to Airport Express if they enable it on the Mac? Even with AirPlay mirroring from my Mac to AppleTV, there's enough delay (probably about a second or less) between keyboard action and result on screen that gameplay is difficult.

Aside from the lag issue, video on my MacBook looks way too herky-jerky on my TV via AirPlay mirroring to even consider watching. I'm surprised you even considered gameplay, lag or not. Maybe it's my setup, but streaming via iTunes through regular AirPlay still works beautifully.

Frustrating since this was my main reason for upgrading to ML. I mean, it's cool that I can deliver powerpoint presentations with the TV at home, but going on three weeks now my girlfriend is getting really tired of hearing me drone on. :eek:

rochford

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
Fm

I seem to remember a year or so ago a story that the WiFi/Bluetooth chip used in the iPhone had FM transceiver capacity which apple weren't using - perhaps they are now. Would be great for the car if so.

Edit - link

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Only problem is the range of the ad-hoc network of the iPhone, which I can't imagine being further than 30 feet or so?

30 feet is Bluetooth range. I don't see how an iPhone would communicate over WiFi any differently in adhoc mode than it does in any other situation - which means the range is about 70 feet.

----------

I can stream Music to my car through AirPlay via Bluetooth with sync. You just need a car that allows this like Ford and some other manufactures are now starting to do this.

I don't see how it's possible to actually use Airplay "via Bluetooth". Most likely, you're just pairing the car stereo and using Bluetooth audio.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I could've sworn that I had been doing this for the last 12 months......

Still, Apple will claim that it's "revolutionary" and the tech journo's will oblige them.

I just hope they don't cripple Bluetooth as part of this "revolution".

I've never heard audio over bluetooth that didn't sound god-awful -- so for those of us (possibly including tech journalists) who love non-god-awful-sounding music, it could be pretty revolutionary.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
So this means without a WiFi network set up? Otherwise, how does the receiving device accept the stream? It makes it sound like I could do this to an Apple TV using my iPhone by it creating an ad hoc network. Otherwise, I'm assuming this would be some new hardware required in a/v systems.

DoctorSpoc

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2011
difference between bluetooth and AirPlay...

bluetooth uses lossy compression... i.e. it sucks...
AirPlay uses lossless compression... i.e. its actually good...

my only question... does it require new hardware?

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Absolutely confusing. It's almost as if you simply needed an iPad and your Grandma's speakers, which would magically receive and play sound from the iDevice.

Care to redraft the article, MR?

In defense of MR, it's exactly how the story reads. Ambiguous and seemingly impossible, but to change the language is for MR to make their own guess about what the heck the article means.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I don't know where your going with this??? It isn't a substitute for internet. Sure you could stream web videos directly from your iphone to an apple tv without a internet at home but you could do that now with just a router thats not connected to the internet.

It is a replacement. They already get data service through at&t on their phones. Why pay extra for Comcast? Airplay with just a router means you have to be logged on to the router and by doing so you can't connect to the at&t's service simultaneously. This is great news because you can bypass the router completely and still be using data from your wireless cellular network.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
So this means without a WiFi network set up? Otherwise, how does the receiving device accept the stream? It makes it sound like I could do this to an Apple TV using my iPhone by it creating an ad hoc network. Otherwise, I'm assuming this would be some new hardware required in a/v systems.

Yes, you should be able to do that and no, it shouldn't require new hardware.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
You'd still need an Internet connection to get Internet access. This would only be useful if you're trying to use Airplay where there isn't a WiFi network or you don't have access to one.

Yes, that's where your iPhone or iPad with data comes in, which I mentioned in my original post. Through a post-PC household, you can completely and entirely eliminate any home internet service.

You can go for a Mifi or mobile wireless router if you want guests or have devices that don't have 3G/4G capabilities, but still stay tied to just one data service provider, instead of two.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
I'd be happier if they just make AirPlay streaming from my 2012 MBP to two 2012 Airport Expresses work without dropping audio all over the place.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Should be great.

A couple misconceptions:

1) Bluetooth is terrible for Audio. Even Apx-x is bad. It's buggy and unreliable. Not only that, but the signal is so degraded that it makes audiophiles cringe. RIP.

2) Airplay as it is now works perfectly. The sound quality is as good as wired. I have an Apple TV and a new Airport express. These show up along with any other option (or combinations of options) in iTunes. This isn't anything new or unusual, it's just that is always works, was very easy to set up, and is transparent, and that's what makes it so great. Something like bluetooth can be very frustrating when it doesn't work right (which is usually at the worst time)

This new tech is going to be great. Just turn on one of these speakers and it will show up as an option....always, and it will be as good as wired in quality.

note: This is just my opinion, and therefore pretty worthless (as it's subjective ), but hey!
It's a free country! (presently) :D

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Presumably this would work just like AirDrop does now on Macs - doesn't require a Wi-Fi network but requires Wi-Fi to be on.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010

Thats exactly what i was thinking. It seems airplay direct will only work between two apple devices, there is no way this will work with my current airplay enabled A/V receivers. I guess we can expect to see 3rd party airplay direct devices in the coming months.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
That's not what's actually happening, though. Can't speak to why you're having the sound drop out but it's not because of your wifi network.

Actually ... that is what is happening. I have a very weak WiFi signal in my bedroom, and the throughput is not high enough consistently to deliver the bandwidth required by audio.

I have tried moving my wireless router up to my bedroom via a long ethernet cable and the problems go away.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So...what will it use then? Bluetooth 4.0?

More likely the "High Speed" feature that was introduced in Bluetooth 3.0. This allows Bluetooth to negotiate an ad-hoc style WiFi connection between devices.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
So like, are there any surprises left to be revealed? I thought Tim Cook said they were getting tougher on secrecy? So far it seems he has left the front door open and allowed everyone to invite a friend...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Whatever. What I want is for AirPlay to work with my phone line.

1. Connect Airport Express or Apple TV to phone line.
2. Enable some kind of home phone AirPlay mode on an iOS device.
3. Make calls and receive calls on your home phone line using your iOS device.

Also, I miss the ability to connect the phone line to your computer and make calls on it.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Actually ... that is what is happening. I have a very weak WiFi signal in my bedroom, and the throughput is not high enough consistently to deliver the bandwidth required by audio.

I have tried moving my wireless router up to my bedroom via a long ethernet cable and the problems go away.

The way Airplay works is that it establishes the two devices over your WiFi network then creates an adhoc connection between the two devices with WDS. From that point forward, your router shouldn't be involved with the streaming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.